Some Shaving Brushes etcetera....

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Some Shaving Brushes etcetera....

Post by drP »

Ás promised :wink:

Three brothers in arms in the war against the whiskers:

From left to right: Chubby silvertip, extra super and again silvertip; notice that from the latter the label has disappeared; on the other two i covered the label with an opaque varnish; apart from that i do not use them very often.

Next picture:

The biggest Simpson i.e. the Samson in pure badger, and the smallest, the Wee Scott, in best badger; this is a vintage brush, bought on Ebay

Following:

Again, Chubby super and extra super in comparison.

Huge brush, huge picture:

The Polo #14 Extra super or Manchurian

From left to right:

Chubby extra super, Polo extra super and the famous Plisson #20 HMW; for these three beauties you can buy a couple of shelves of shaving cream or soap :wink:

The next pictures speak for themselves:

The biggest brush available, the Vulfix #38, side by side to the smallest, the simpsons Wee Scott

And finally, my recent rearrangement of my bathroom wall closet:

More pictures of my shaving equipment to follow in the near future; among these, an overview of ALL my brushes.

Peter
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

That is nuts. My wife needs to see your collection. Then maybe she will leave me alone. :lol:

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Hey Johnnie,

It's really a very small part of my collection :lol:

Peter
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Peter,

That Plisson #20...wow!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

This must be the dip in the badger population that I heard about. :shock:
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger, Badger!

Post by guenron »

Hmmm. I think that these are an impediment to shaving. Too difficult a decision to make each morning. :D
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Chris,

One is your TI damascus from Ray; the other one is perhaps from Lynn at www.straightrazordesigns.com ??

Peter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Peter, Very nice photos, very instructive, especially, to those who have never seen most of these brushes, I would think. A few quick observations, and questions. Interesting how the RMWS gents have always made much of the improtance/superiority of the Simpson 'fan' shape, vs that nasty ineffective 'light bulb' shape that Plisson uses, yet, when one looks at that Chubby Extra side by side with the Plisson HMW, they are actually shaped very similiarly! Also, that the Chubby Extra and one of the Chubby Supers appear to be almost identical, the Extra just being slightly broader across the top. But the other Super's bristle looks quite different from those two. Finally, I have to say that if I could be guaranteed that a Tulip #4 that I ordered, would look like the one that you have, I'd probably get one. Despite what I'd pictured, based on your prior written description, that one appears to be top upland silvertip. A very nice looking brush. Personally, I think that these photos should be put in our permenant referance section, for anyone who wants to know about real silvertip, and what it looks like. Thanks again for the effort in posting these. Regards, Gordon
Ken

Post by Ken »

Gordon,

The Chubby brushes (especially the Extra Super pictured with the Plisson) that Peter shows almost appear not to have been used. Simpson brushes will spread and flatten out much more on use than either of the Chubby brushes in the photographs--at least that has been my (limited) experience. The Plisson most resembles the Shavemac brushes, which (mine at least) do not spread out the way that Simpson's do.

Peter, have you used the Simpson Chubby brushes very much?

Ken
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ken, Well, perhaps. I know that Peter has used at least one of his Chubbys a fair amount. I've seen photos of some Chubbys and Polos that were even more 'domed' then the ones in Peter's pictures. There seems, in fact, to be considerable variation in the shape, as well as the bristle, in those models. Peter's Plisson, on the other hand, seemed less 'domed' then some that I've seen. So, I thought that the close up comparison photos were interesting. What do you make of the comparison between the one Chubby Super and the Chubby Extra? Regards, Gordon
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Ken,

It is indeed correct that i barely used the both Chubbies; the extra super maybe only two or three times, the "ordinary" super is brand new, never used; but the Chubby without the gold label also hasn't spread that much until now; however, i use this brush at least once a week and i have developed the habit to firmly press the bristles together after rinsing the brush in order to keep the shape; i really do not like a flat crown in a shaving brush; reason why i love the dome shape of the Shavemacs so much.

Peter
Ken

Post by Ken »

Gordon,

Well, that clears up the issue about shape. I have a Chubby 3 Extra Super (Manchurian) and it is definitely much flatter than shown in the pictures of Peter's Chubby brushes (because not used much or squeezed together by Peter) and the Plisson (as intended in design), as well as my Shavemac XXL. My Chubby Extra Super quickly flattened out with use but my Shavemac retains its lightbulb shape even after use. As for the comparison between the Extra Super and the Super, they do look very much alike. The Extra Super (on the left despite the caption) in picture 3 appears to have a slightly larger bristle head (and I think in picture 1--where it is in the middle--as well) and maybe is ever so slightly flatter, but it is difficult to tell from the picture. CAR claims that the Manchurian is larger so the picture could well be accurate. CAR may also have ordered the Extra Super cut flatter as well. What the difference is in use, I don't know, since I don't have the regular Chubby Super. When I bought my brush, CAR said that the bristles on the Extra Super were stiffer.

Peter, perhaps you can describe the differences?

Ken
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Ken,

The bristle loft of the CHES is indeed somewhat bigger than the loft of the CHS, the bristles are equally flexible or stiff as those of the CHS but, and this is the most strikingly difference:
they are much softer than those of the CHS WITHOUT the gold label and
are equally soft as those of the CHS WITH the gold label; in fact, i see almost no differences between both Chubbies, the one being CHES, the other CHS.

Until now, despite ALL the threads and ALL the posts on ALL the wetshaverforums i never read an explanation for the diiference in bristle tip appearance between these two varieties of silvertip; even Gordon hasn't given me an explanation; i see this phenomenon not only in my Simpsons but also in my Shavemacs; i asked Bernd about it in an e-mail but never got an answer on this mystery.

And the difference is VERY striking, imo one of the most strikingly differences in badger bristles of silvertip/super quality, the one being straight and smooth at the tips of the bristles , the other curled, split, turned, bowed and rather rough in feel.

BTW Ken: take a look at the Polo #14 ES: i never used this brush, but i had to rinse it once when i spilled some shaving cream over it accidently. Immediately the bristles spread out very much and until now the loft did not regain it's original shape....

BTW Gordon: i mentioned the described phenomenon above a long time ago allready on the Wetshaversforum of MSN in the fisrt months of 2004 i believe; do you have gathered more insight in this subject in the meantime???

I think i'm going to take very detailed pictures in the next week of the bristle tips to emphasize my observations.

Peter
Ken

Post by Ken »

Peter,

Thank you for your comments. If I follow you correctly, the Ex. Super is the same softness as the Super with the label and both are much softer than the Super without the label. Also, in picture 1 the black bristle on the Super without the label appears to be different from the black bristle on the other two. Is that possibly due to your using it, or was it different from the beginning? Your comments suggest that quality control may be a problem at Simpson's if two Supers are distinctly different.

I'm not sure, however, which bristle tips (straight or curled) are on which brush. Are you speaking about a difference between the Extra Super and the Super with the label, or the two brushes with a label and the brush without the label, or the Simpson's and the Shavemac?

I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Ken
northadams
Mad Max

Post by northadams »

Peter's two Chubby's look alike but I do notice the broader cut of Badger in the Extra but not a difference in the actual hair? David Carter did admit the Extra's shave was no better than the original high end Chubby at the end of the day. Maybe some of us are reaching for straws.

Max
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ken, There are definate marked variations ( perhaps, as you say, 'quality control issues' ) with the Simpson Supers. Generally, it is that only the largest most expensive Supers ( Chubbys 2&3 and larger Polos ) looked to be real silvertip. But here, we see a very noticeable difference, even with two Chubby 3s. The plot thickens. Check out Peter's Tulip #4, and right next to it, his PJ3. These are both similiar sized Super brushes, yet notice how different they look. Or, on Em's site, see how the Chubby #3 looks different then the #1&#2 right next to it? It's troubling. As I wrote in an above post, if I could be sure that if I ordered a Tulip #4, it would look like the one that Peter has, I just might. But I can't, and who wants to go through the hassle of having to try and get the seller to take it back, and refund one's money, etc.? BTW, I did notice a difference between the Chubby Extra, and the Super, but it seemed, in the photo, to be very slight indeed. Okay, it's only a $46 dollar difference, but still... Regards, Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Peter, I don't know, it's rather perplexing. Personally, I have only two real silvertip brushes, and both of them have that 'prickly' quality to the tip, although one is noticeably more marked then the other. But, from your, and other's, posts, it seems clear that not all genuine silvertip has this quality. There would seem to be differences in the pelts, or in the lots coming in from China/Manchuria, although the bristle in one of my silvertips is supposedly from Russia. So, I don't know, but it is problematical, because if one orders an expensive silvertip, one is not certain which 'style' one is going to get. Personally, I don't favor that 'rougher' type, yet that is what I wound up with in both of mine. Regards, Gordon
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Hi,

I'll be on a short holiday the next four days; i will come back on this issue in the next week; i shall also try to take very detailed pictures of my brushes to demonstrate the strikingly difference between the tips, but don't know if i will succeed with my camera; anyway, i'll give it a try!!

Till later!

Regards, Peter
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

Greetings Gordon, Ken, Peter (Groeten!)
One thing that you might fail to recall.. CAR has his Manchurian (Extra Super?) specially shaped for the method approach. I believe that may explain some of the differences.
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, Well, he does, my point was that the difference seemed so very slight. Regards, Gordon