I went hiking in southern France

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
Lyrt

I went hiking in southern France

Post by Lyrt »

This week I went hiking with friends in one of the few places in southern France where you can still get lost and flee society.

First we went to a place where nature takes back. It may not be obvious, but in some photographs the trees literally grow on rocks.

Here I was waiting for some elves or unicorns to show up.

Then we went to a very, very small village nearby:

Finally, yesterday, we went visiting the ruins of an old castle. The atheist I am may now believe God exists. I also got fed up with hdr and did not use it for the following series of photographs:

The same with washed-out colours:

Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Yukio,

Your well composed pictures never cease to amaze me. You have a natural talent that is brilliant.

Thanks for sharing as usual. I know many of us have a real appreciation for your photographic expertise.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
JimR

Post by JimR »

Words fail me...
I've only been to Southern France once. It is truly one of the most stunning places I've seen, and your pictures only make it more so.
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

Thank you guys. I appreciate your appreciating them (though I’m personally more partial to Northern France). The following ones don’t bring much to what I’ve already posted, but oh well:

GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

Yukio, these pictures are incredible. Your HDR shots are so beautiful they hurt. I like your non-HDR ones in this series. It looks like you made good use of a polarizer filter.

Would you mind describing what camera and lenses you used?

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

As always, excellent

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

Clive, thank you.

Greg, I did not use any polariser filter, though I would have liked to have one to get clearer reflections on the water. As for the camera and the lenses, I used a Nikon D300, an ultra-wide-angle Sigma 10-20mm and my tripod.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Definitely a Pan's Labyrinth feel to the first shots.

Lovely photography, comme d'habitude.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

By coincidence, my wife asked me last week to show her any new posts from "that guy on the shave forum who makes those pictures, you know..." I knew just who she meant. She'll be delighted to see these tonight.

--Glenn
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Yukio------Thank you!

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

I can't wait for your coffee table book to come out! Actually I would love it if you could post both the raw pic along with the finished one. I don't remember if it was your picture a while back that was something along the lines of a breakfast or lunch that had bread, cheese, jam and some utensils on a table. The contrast between the HDR and the untouched version was amazing.

Thanks a bunch for posting your pics here.
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

Dominic, Glenn, Danny, thank you very much.

Charlie, I think you’re speaking of that very old pic. Here’s one of the three exposures I used for the HDR image.

And here’s the HDR I made.

Here’s another example:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

And the HDR:

Regards,
Amann

Post by Amann »

fantastic stuff.........I love the hdr stuff....I really gotta learn that technique........is it tough to do?
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Amann wrote:fantastic stuff.........I love the hdr stuff....I really gotta learn that technique........is it tough to do?
+1

While I find that it can be a bit over-the-top sometimes, it is a technique that I'd like to learn as well. Might even give me a reason to replace my aging Canon G3 with a DSLR..... :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Yukio, that was exactly the picture I was talking about. The HDR one initially made me think it was some kind of other worldly picnic. Like if the Hobbits and such from Lord of the Rings were to have a picnic. Then when you see the raw pic you realize it is a simple picture with nothing out of the ordinary. I mean the composition is great, well balanced normal color and nothing that wouldn't be found in my kitchen as well, but the HDR version really has a pop to it that almost makes it come alive. I half expected the marmalade in the HDR version to move or squirm. I think you mentioned it in the previous tread but is HDR in Photoshop?
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I just read the Wikipedia entry on HDR, and now I can tell you it's something to do with cameras.

The HDR images knock my socks off, however, I'm so not a photographer I can barely remember to take one photo of something. The hassle of aking three at once at different exposures makes me appreciate Yukio's photos all the more.
Dominic
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

ichabod wrote:... The hassle of taking three at once at different exposures makes me appreciate ...
Nice thing about today's DSLRs (and one or two "prosumer" digi-cams) is that some have the added ability of auto-bracketing one single shot so you only actually depress the shutter once to get the three shots.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

Amann, Charlie, you can generate HDR files with Photoshop or programs such as Photomatix, but the most important tool is a tonemapper. Photomatix comes with a tonemapper while Photoshop requires you to buy a plugin, which happened to be that of Photomatix (actually, I'm sure there are free plugins around the web).

Wendell, today’s DSLR indeed offer bracketing controls, but you still have to press the shutter button as many times as the number of exposures you want. Or you can use the burst mode and keep the shutter pressed the whole time. Or you can do just like me and use a remote control.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I use a proxy photographer. His name is Yukio...
Dominic
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Amazing work as usual - please keep them coming
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.