Test Pictures--Advice?

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
JimR

Test Pictures--Advice?

Post by JimR »

Hi guys. I just put together a small light box, and have been trying to get it right.

These pictures were taken with a Casio Exilim 7.2 megapixel digital, set at 4 mp.

The settings were: ISO 400, Tungsten White Balance, +1.0 EV and Macro.

Lighting was two 40 watt Tungsten bulbs outside a small lightbox.
Any advice on improving the image?

Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

Lower the ISO setting. The higher the ISO, the noisier the picture.
Composition: Either show the box and the razor entirely or don’t hesitate and zoom in.
xChris

Post by xChris »

I'd recommend cropping the photos to remove the edges of the lightbox/background (and transitioning into the room behind) and where the illumination drops off in the photo too.
Chris
JimR

Post by JimR »

Thanks guys. I'll try some more tests tomorrow...My lightbox might be too small, I'm having trouble keeping the edges out of the photo when I move out to get the whole razor in the picture.
Gene

Post by Gene »

Hi JImR,

I agree about lowering the ISO.

Also - in the top photo - I would rather see a bit more light on the soap and a bit less on the razor. There is a little bit of glare coming off the blade.

Also - I always prefer to shoot at highest resolution of the camera. JPG is lossy enough to begin with - don't help it.

BUT - very nice shots - I like the framing of the top picture very much.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
stubblebum

Post by stubblebum »

I have a few tips.

1. When you photograph anything shiny, try to see if you can alter the angle of the item or the angle of the light so that the light doesn't reflect too much into the camera. The family of angles are the ones that cause reflection back into the camera.

2. If you would like your blade to go dark, you can try to position a black piece of paper out of view to either block or absorb light that is bouncing onto the subject. Be sure it's big enough or it will become a large black area on the subject.

3. If you need to show more of the subject and are worried about the edges of the box showing, go ahead and back up your camera, but zoom in tighter to maintain the relationship. It's easier to back up and zoom in and avoid the edges that way.

Brian

my blog: http://www.365cameras.com