Boar VS Badger (Pics in action)

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Post by clownjuggles »

Joel!

BRAVO!

Encore!
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Wow, great explanation!

Allow me to point out to the new folks who might be viewing this that you don't even have to spend $100 for a good badger brush. Even a $25 "pure badger" brush will be a big step up from a boar brush. I have a Savile Row "super badger" brush slightly smaller than Joel's that I got for about $50.

--Mark
Last edited by mantic on Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
SurfFisherman
Bargain Detector

Post by SurfFisherman »

Joel-

Once again, I cannot thank you enough for the photos! (As they say, a picture's worth a thousand words...)

The Proraso soap lather which you created with the Boar brush was pretty similar to mine, although your's was definitely a little richer. (I'm glad to see that they weren't too different, though- I feel even better about my first wet shave outing!)

After seeing the lather produced by the Badger brush, I think the superiority is quite obvious. Besides all of the other categories in which Badger outperforms Boar (longevity, softness on the face, water holding capicity, ease of function, heat retention, etc.), I believe the preferable lather is key.

Note: My Boar brush is an Omega, purchased from Charles at QED for $12.00. Although there was a slight odor to the brush when I took it out of the box, it has almost entirely disappeared after two shaves with the Proraso soap. For someone who wants to "try" wet shaving, it is an inexpensive option before upgrading to a Badger brush.

Thanks again, Joel! A very telling experiment!

(I believe a new Sevile Row brush will be on my birthday wish list in a couple of months!)
Chris G
New York City
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Fabulous comparison Joel!!!

This is the kind of generosity by you and Vince and other members, that will really rocket this site into 1st place popularity. I only wish I had something to contribute :? and when I figure out how to use a digi-cam and make photos go to the Internet ( I am definitely NOT a computer 'geek') I will try to add something.

I appreciate the demonstration!

Now wash your hands! :lol:

Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Well done, Joel!

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Well, that seals the deal, I simply must own a badger....
SmokingJoe

Post by SmokingJoe »

I am having trouble finding the pics for this post. Are they still available, or am I looking in the wrong place?
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

The pictures have been deleted.