Shocked to be posting here.....

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Shocked to be posting here.....

Post by L. Martino »

Hiya,

I sure never expected to be typing anything in this section of the forum, but here I am. My dad was a very good photographer and had lots of equipment that he actually knew how to use, but I'm not set up that way. I am horrible at taking pics, and somehow ended up with all this goofy stuff when he died years ago.

A while back, I gave the nicer old camera to a 13 year old boy I know who's extremely interested in photography, and he uses that as well as his digital camera. Heh, he even gets up early in the winter to take sunrise pics.

He's got a nice(and fairly expensive) digital camera on his wish list and that's where any money he gets is going towards. It's gonna be a while though before he buys it.........next model will probably be out by then.

I often see cameras at various estate sales I walk through, but never buy any of em. The simple reason is that I know about zero in that field. I'd have no idea what warning signs to look for or what to check out before a sale. Features? I know nothing about em.

Last week end I bought an old Olympus E 10 digital SLR in very nice shape. Everything seems to work fine and it's pretty darn sophisticated I gotta say. The camera is in excellent cosmetic shape as well. I definitely hadn't planned on buying a camera, and what hooked me was what the box had on it.......heh. Yep, it said 'Professional' model, so I figured what the hell, maybe it's gonna be a decent camera for my little buddy to play with.

I know it's an old camera, but man, it can do a lot of stuff! Yeah, I've been spending time with it........even reading most of the manual a couple times. This thing has a TON of settings to twitch the pics, and is actually sorta fun for me. I'm almost tempted to keep the thing, but it'll be much better off with someone who can use it properly and enthusiastically. He may be a little impatient because this isn't the fastest camera, but I think it''ll keep him amused for a while.

It was very inexpensive, and I believe it was my deal of the day. I bought a rechargable battery/charger combo, and another memory card to send along with the camera. Not a bad item to find and buy blindly.

Martin
Last edited by L. Martino on Mon May 24, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Wet photography is something I almost wish computers couldn't replace.
I had a Canon F 1 with a lens collection and drive. I'm hanging out of a helicopter as we approached a capsized boat and caught two men in red survival suits on the hull waving. The Coast Guard uses that photo to this day and I never even received credit :O(
It's the prediction of wet photographic supplies literally drying up that worries me. Kodacrome is gone, Polaroid is gone and in spite of loving care my camera suddenly went sour and needed a major rebuild I couldn't afford.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Martin

Arent you supposed to post a pic or two??

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fallingwickets wrote:Martin

Arent you supposed to post a pic or two??

clive
+1, if you please.

I will not get rid of my 1979 Nikon FM -- I just won't do it.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

Hiya,

Sorry for not including any pics of the Olumpus earlier. I hope this will make amends. The camera is in excellent cosmetic shape, even though it may not look that great. Looks like the camera's back is a different color from the rest of the camera, which it isn't. I apologize for my non existent photographic skills. Heh, I DID mention being surprised to be posting in this part of the forum.

Martin

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

use in good health

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum