A Day At The Beach

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
GregPQ

A Day At The Beach

Post by GregPQ »

It was crowded at Short Sands in York, Maine today:

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Short sands is such a shallow beach, it's always crowded whenever I have passed by. :wink:

We are off to our annual love-in with the beach in Ocean Park (just a few miles up the road from York) at the end of August. A house by the sea - nothing can top it. More room than York, but the parking can be pretty tough if you aren't already staying in town.

Entrance to our beach from "our" seaside cottage.

The cottage -- no we don't own it -- I wish! But the ground floor is fully "ours" for 3 weeks of the year at the end of every summer. :D

Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Wendell, is the little church-run eatery still open in "downtown" Ocean Park? Used to be some great breakfasts turned out there...
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

paperpundit wrote:Wendell, is the little church-run eatery still open in "downtown" Ocean Park? Used to be some great breakfasts turned out there...
Actually - the Soda Fountain and YellowFins are the only eateries in OP now. The Soda Fountain is right on the corner of Temple and Seaside Ave, and YellowFins is on Temple Ave beside the Webfoot guest house. No other places to eat in the village -- but who needs eateries when you have the ocean and OP???? Besides -- Hannafords is right up the road in Saco for groceries.

Ah - -Maine -- the way life should be. :D
Wendell

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

the ground floor is fully "ours" for 3 weeks
thanks for the invite!!! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Stop once, load up on groceries, go to the cottage, park the car -- and leave it parked for three weeks.

Actually, if you get the chance (or it rains) Portland is pretty cool. Its got a happening night scene, a minor league ball team, and the coastline is dotted with forts.

Of course, you could just go to Old Orchard Beach and play mini-golf, too... :lol:
Jack

GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

Amen to Hannaford's. There's a nice one on Route 1 in York, too. Across the road is a local farm stand, where I took this photo:

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I shall have to watch that son of mine; as he has an eye for pictures, even if he uses crappy Sigma lenses:

©Thomas Moss

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

It looks like Thomas makes good use of his polarizer filter too. I never tire of cloud shots. Nice one. Somewhere in La Nouvelle Écosse perchance?

Greg
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Ha! Thomas wouldn't know a polarizer if it bit him on the bum! Mais oui, c'est Malagash.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

paperpundit wrote:Stop once, load up on groceries, go to the cottage, park the car -- and leave it parked for three weeks.

Actually, if you get the chance (or it rains) Portland is pretty cool. Its got a happening night scene, a minor league ball team, and the coastline is dotted with forts.

Of course, you could just go to Old Orchard Beach and play mini-golf, too... :lol:
We have been going for 19 years -- stumbling upon OP totally by mishap when referred there by a biker guy with three kids running around him at the men's washroom in Wild Acres on our first visit to the area in 1991. What a difference life is in this place -- time has stood still - even the Dummy Depot looks to have mostly original stock from when it was first built. :wink:

The Portland Seadogs have this one fan who is a hoot to watch. She sits in the middle of the stadium - half way up the bleachers, directly behind home plate, and spends the entire game, pumping her arm up and down/back and forth shouting " Go Go Seadogs" at the top of her lungs. Very entertaining -- I have seen her each time I have gone - and she is almost as entertaining as the games are. Love the stadium too -- built as a micro Fenway with a green monster all their own -- authentic in replication right down to the W.B. Mason advertisement.

This thread has me all trunked out for OP now

And I still have plenty of Summer (i.e. Gordon Summer) before we go! :D

BTW - none of these pics have been retouched -- I am an old throw back to film and like to see what results I can get straight out of the camera most times. For more OP shots - feel free to browse my flickr collctions. Probably not the best shots around, but I do enjoy snapping the shutter. :D
Wendell

Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

jww wrote: And I still have plenty of Summer (i.e. Gordon Summer) before we go! :D

BTW - none of these pics have been retouched -- I am an old throw back to film and like to see what results I can get straight out of the camera most times. For more OP shots - feel free to browse my flickr collctions. Probably not the best shots around, but I do enjoy snapping the shutter. :D
SumNer Wendell! SumNer... you're forgiven because you're on vacation in what appears to be bliss! :lol:
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Have fun, Wendell!

I haven't been back in years -- heck, nearly a decade, now -- but that part of Maine is truly blessed.

The last time we went the weather turned on us, dropping down into the 50s during the day and rained constantly. Not knowing what to do, I suggested driving north of Portland along the coast -- we found some little fishing village, had an amazing time. Those memories are among the fondest of my entire life.

Shout out "Sweet Caroline" a little louder at the Sea Dogs for me!
Jack

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

still patiently waiting for invite
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

fallingwickets wrote:still patiently waiting for invite
Of course you are welcome to come -- you'll have to arrange your own digs, though ...... :wink:
Wendell

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:
jww wrote: And I still have plenty of Summer (i.e. Gordon Summer) before we go! :D

SumNer Wendell! SumNer... you're forgiven because you're on vacation in what appears to be bliss! :lol:
Er, my, umm - "n" key isn't working properly -- yeah, that's it....... :wink: :oops:
Wendell

KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Don't Go near the water!

Post by KAV »