The Great Northern Snow Squirrel

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
drmoss_ca
Admin

The Great Northern Snow Squirrel

Post by drmoss_ca »

Here he is eating his favourite Suggestive Biscuits (know what I mean, squire?):

Keeping the squirrels and the chickadees alive is turning into a bit of a project; I have never seen such deep snow here.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Not a clue Chris. Does your wife like photography?
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

that is one of the nicest non shave pictures Ive seen posted on smf. Bravo, twenty three thumbs up and all of that

clive

sucker for squirrel eating biscuit pics
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Clive,
They can be cute, as when defeating the anti-squirrel cage and stealing bird food:

Once we rescued a half-drowned baby that had fallen from the drey and hand fed him until the day he was released, much to the chagrin of Jack, who has never hated fly-screen as much as he did at that moment:

Squire, not that kind, but definitely a bit of a goer, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Chris
A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Strange.....a friends car had to be towed yesterday. This is part of an update email i received this morning:

PSS....they found that the wire was chewed up by squirrels
and tons of nuts were found in the hood...LOL. Little
bastards are being cut off now!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Oddly enough, my mother is always having squirrels and mice make winter quarters in her car and tractor. BTW, the effect of starting the tractor when there is a mouse nest in the air intake is rather dramatic - a spray of macerated mouse babies goes everywhere. She, of course has not leanred to check before putting the battery back in after the winter, but merely to ensure that someone else does the job.

One reason to feed the little bastards is to keep them from eating my insulation and sound proofing under the hood of the truck. They have rewarded me by moving in to the roof of the apartment attached to the main house. There, they can keep the bats company. The presence of food attracts all sorts of creatures:

As you can see, that was in a winter far less snowy than this one. Yesterday, I spent a couple of hours on the roof shovelling off snow and chipping channels through the ice in anticipation of an eventual thaw. Even then, it was only a small portion of the snow up there that I moved off.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

All I can say is that I'm really glad my octagenarian mother doesn't have a tractor on the premises. It sounds like a lot of work for "someone", other than her! :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Here is an odd fellow I photographed at the Ochlockonee River State Park in Florida a few years back.

more info:
http://www.tallahasseemagazine.com/inde ... &Itemid=97
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Albino!

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

They're beautiful. Evidently a mutated species as opposed to an aberration.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
matt321

Post by matt321 »

I had never heard of these white squirrels in Florida before. We were camped at Ochlockonee River State Park one winter and the other campers told us to watch for the white squirrels. Sure enough we saw several. Very strange.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Some women pay a lot of money for that look.
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Ever seen what happened to the grey squirrels in Toronto (and maybe some central northern states)? They went black. Almost, but not quite, all of them. A few greys persist and they can interbreed fine, so they are 'races' rather than separate species.

Apparently the same mutation has arisen in the UK, where the grey squirrel is an introduced species. It is said the blacks are more aggressive and are taking over from the greys. We seem to have only the smaller red squirrel here, but no doubt they will be driven out by the larger greys/blacks as they have been elsewhere.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace