Figuring out my camera's features

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
brothers

Figuring out my camera's features

Post by brothers »

Please don't pay any attention to my SOTD photos for the next few days. I've been impressed by some of the other guys' photos, and I'm just messing around with my camera's heretofore unused settings to try to get a little insight into how these other guys do it. I'm sure my camera's not as technologically up to date, because it's 9 years old. :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

From my limited experience, a talented photographer (not suggesting that I fall into this category, mind you) can take a great shot from mobile phone camera or cheap point and shoot as well as from a good DSLR.

The only way to learn is to experiment - so have a go at it.

BTW -- what are you shooting with?
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, the camera's a Sony dsc-P31 from 2002. I'm exploring the various settings and features it came with, that I've never used before, just to see what happens when a photo is taken. I'd hate to see them go to waste!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Check out some of the camera forums on-line -- I like dpreview.com - especially their forums where you will find plenty of helpful folks.

Even doing a google for a few instructional sites based on your camera, and you'll find gobs of sites.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

I sure would like to get some help with my Sony A200. I can't seem to get the sharp razors pics I want.
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
werdna

Post by werdna »

MaxP wrote:I sure would like to get some help with my Sony A200. I can't seem to get the sharp razors pics I want.
You might want to try switch to aperture priority mode.

Adjust the f stop up to the higher numbers.

Likely you will need a tripod as this will cause your shutter speed to drop well below what you can hand hold unless you have really turned up the lighting on the subject (strobes, etc)

You will probably also want to experiment with turning off the flash while using the tripod and see if you can use some lamps or just natural room light to get a warmer exposure.

The below is my swag at what your camera does and why you might want to experiment with this mode. Apologies in advance to real photographers who understand this much better than I do.

Automagic cameras are always trying to balance a 3 variable equation. amount of light in (f stop), amount of time the shutter is open (shutter speed), and the sensitivity of the sensor (iso)

Many (maybe most) automagic cameras won't vary ISO so you are left with 2 variables.

As you let in more light (lower f stop) you can have a faster shutter speed to get the correct exposure.

Lower number f stop lets in more light but reduces the amount of the image that is going to be sharply focused.

Higher number f stop lets in very little light but allows most everything to be in focus

The general rule of thumb is that if you shutter speed gets below 1/60th of a second the photo will blur because of the movement of the photographer. Automagic cameras generally will lower the f stop and sacrifice depth of field to ensure that you get the proper exposure.

For indoor (not sunlight) still life photos toss that camera on a tripod, make sure you ISO setting is set to 100 if you can adjust it, experiment with the f stop setting in aperture priority mode till you find the point where exactly the parts you want are in focus and perhaps the other parts are not. If it works send Andrew a beer. :)

One more trick, when using the tripod if you don't have a remote or cable release use the timer mode on your camera so that you aren't pressing the button and moving the camera around when the image is exposed.