point and shoot cameras w/interchangeable lens?

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
changabang

point and shoot cameras w/interchangeable lens?

Post by changabang »

Are there any out there, preferably priced w/o having to sacrifice a body part? I already went that route with film cameras decades ago. I'd stay with my Nikon FM, but film is difficult to find and local processing is even more so.
Many tanks.
James Nicks
druphus

Post by druphus »

Don't know what body-parts bring these days, but here is something that looks interesting:

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa ... D.56827900
Regards,
Andy
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I presume you mean a mirrorless interchangable lens digital camera. The feature set is so full, it's really not entirely accurate to think of them as point and shoot cameras per se. These are really powerful units which can do anything a DSLR can do with less weight, and ergo some improved portability and convenience.

You have essentially 4 options:
Olympus PEN
Sony NEX
Nikon 1 V1 or J1
Panasonic Lumix DMC

Oly and Pany were first on the scene with the micro FourThirds standard, with Sony following behind rather quickly. Nikon's offerings came out more recently. To be honest they are all fairly good -- not quite the speed of a DSLR, but very, very close indeed. Video is very good on all of these as well.

You will be looking at spending anywhere from a high end P&S price point to a mid-range DSLR price point - say $450 and up to a grand-ish.

You may also want to add the new Fuji x100 - very nice camera as well.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Gene

Post by Gene »

I got rid of my older Canon DSLR for the Sony NEX-5.

It's really nice, and with the right adapter you can use older manual focus SLR glass.

A good friend of mine up in Vancouver, Simon Hughes, has 2 of these, along with some other gear. He's a great Photographer, and really seems to like the cameras.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

got to got to got to stay away from this thread...^&@!)_%#$ enablers!!

clive

:lol: :lol:
de gustibus non est disputandum
Gene

Post by Gene »

fallingwickets wrote:got to got to got to stay away from this thread...^&@!)_%#$ enablers!!

clive

:lol: :lol:
Just open another Becks, close your eyes and go for it!!!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
changabang

Post by changabang »

Andy, I think I have seen that Nikon J1 commercial with AK, and that's what prompted me to ask the question. The V1 looks as though it has a physical eye accommodation which might cost an extra toe or two. Thanks for the link. And Wendell, thank you for the suggestions. I remember being regretful I never sprang for an Olympus Pen back in the day. Nice to see they've been revived.
I would stick with the FM2 if I had access to the variety of film and processing Dr. Chris seems to enjoy, but I think that day has been dimmed by obsolescence, planned or not.
James Nicks
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

For the record, if I were adding a new camera to my kit -- I would very seriously look at the Fuji x100 -- it's unbelievably impressive for what it is.
Wendell

changabang

Post by changabang »

I will do that. Thanks.

Another question: is it only DSLR's (some) that allow mounting of the older film camera lenses?
James Nicks
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

changabang wrote:I will do that. Thanks.

Another question: is it only DSLR's (some) that allow mounting of the older film camera lenses?
Generally yes - although for some really old lenses adapters may be required. The notion of the new mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras is that they are much more compact than a DSLR. This means that an entire new set of lens offerings have been developed by the manufacturers. Not sure about 3rd party lens availability as I haven't investigated them all that much beyond reading a few press releases, and played ever-so-little in a store with them. I do like the feel in-hand of the Pen series especially, but I haven't had the Nikon in my hands yet.

In the case of Olympus and Panasonic, don't forget that they are built on the micro FourThirds standard which means they have a different crop factor than the Nikons (2X vs 1.5X I believe).
Wendell

changabang

Post by changabang »

Just researched the Fuji X100. It's a very nice camera that reminds me of the old Leica rangefinders, but at $1200 sans interchangeable lens, it's not what I'm looking for. Maybe I SHOULD be looking at a serviceable DSLR. :roll:

Or stick with my film camera and go raid Doc's refrigerator stockpile. :lol:

But first I have some shoveling of extremely wet snow to do.
James Nicks
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Yeah -- we got hit with about 7 cm of very wet early "Christmas" snow overnight -- looks lovely until you have to move the stuff around with a shovel.

You need to get cameras into your hands --- mess around with them, take a memory card to a camera shop and grab some sample shots -- take the card home and play around with the files to see what you like best.

I stress camera shop -- trying a camera out at a box store is not usually a good idea -- the staff tend to be poorly trained -- their product knowledge tends to happen before store opening, and they are rarely accomplished photographers. Whereas a camera shop associate will tend to be a photographer first and a sales rep second.
Wendell

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Let me reinforce Wendell's advice - a digital camera may have become a commodity, one that is simply replaced when broken and never repaired, but when you want to buy an accessory made for it not carried by the big box store, when you want advice, and when you want to upgrade, you will always do better if you have started a relationship with a real dealer. Then you get the perks ("Hey, a mint Leica MP just came in and the guy only wants $xxx for it - interested?") and they will help you along the road of gear acquisition with loving attention.

Chris
The dealer is a man with the lovegrass in his hand Steppenwolf, The Pusher
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
changabang

Post by changabang »

There was once a wonderful camera shop in Hanover, the town that is host to Dartmouth College, where one could get that hands-on experience, but the original owners passed on, and now, it too, has passed on.
Across the Connecticut in White River Jct. was another fairly nice camera shop that has also bitten the dust. Truth to tell, I bought most of my cameras from the big mail order stores in NYC: 47th St Photo, etc, etc.
You are correct, though. Hands on is the only way to go.
James Nicks