Shaving at the Movies PICS

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

reginald-van-gleason wrote:shaving enthustiasts (my new term to replace shavegeek)
I am so glad that I am not the only one who hates that term!(Shave geek) I actually tried to put Shave Afficianado out more than a few times but it was laughed off. :x

I will be happy if either of the alternates takes off. I just can't stand shavegeek. :twisted:

Now back to the program!

In the movie "The Order" (The Sin Eater) 2003. Heath Ledger hands a shinny straight razor to a cardinal(?) about to commit suicide. It is pivital because suicide is a mortal sin and the cardinal(?) has called upon the sin eater to take his sin away after he commits it so he can still get into heaven.

Why is it that now a days if you see a straight razor in a move someone is either fighting with it or sliting their wrists? If I was a Hollywood writer I could weave a nice straight shave into a character in a number of rolls. I think it would add more to the character of the character than some of the other things they do to give a character feeling.
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Gatorade wrote:
reginald-van-gleason wrote:shaving enthustiasts (my new term to replace shavegeek)
I am so glad that I am not the only one who hates that term!(Shave geek) I actually tried to put Shave Afficianado out more than a few times but it was laughed off. :x

I will be happy if either of the alternates takes off. I just can't stand shavegeek. :twisted:

Now back to the program!

In the movie "The Order" (The Sin Eater) 2003. Heath Ledger hands a shinny straight razor to a cardinal(?) about to commit suicide. It is pivital because suicide is a mortal sin and the cardinal(?) has called upon the sin eater to take his sin away after he commits it so he can still get into heaven.

Why is it that now a days if you see a straight razor in a move someone is either fighting with it or sliting their wrists? If I was a Hollywood writer I could weave a nice straight shave into a character in a number of rolls. I think it would add more to the character of the character than some of the other things they do to give a character feeling.
Charlie---You are definitely not alone...I can't stand the term shavegeek either. I don't want to be refered to as a geek in any sense of the word. Shaving Enthustiast or Shave Aficionado suits me fine.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

Phil,

I just watched "The Apartment" a few days ago. Great movie, nice follow up to "Some Like it Hot" (another favorite). I first saw it not long after my first foray into DE shaving (before shaving forums) and that scene has always stayed with me. I wonder how far along I would be if I had met Gordon, Rusty and the rest of the gang nearly ten years ago.

As far as "shavegeek" is concerned: I alway thought people just mixed up "geek" with "super cool guy". I've been 'correcting' people for years.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

I wonder how far along I would be if I had met Gordon, Rusty and the rest of the gang nearly ten years ago.
You wouldn't be anywhere!
The longer you stay on this forum, the worse the cycle gets!
I can only stay true to one razor and blade and cream when I am not on here!

I have a book that describes things that most people confuse, like the difference between dolphins and porpoises, alligators and crocodiles.
It has the difference between a geek and a nerd.
A nerd has no social grace and doesn't care to. He can not fit in with any group except other nerds.
A geek is someone who is hardcore into something he likes or loves, but still has social grace and fits well into the rest of society.
It is not a negative thing to be considered a geek!
But it is to be a nerd!
So really we should be proud to be shavegeeks!
-philKnowledge! Pass it on!!!
Even more knowledge! Keep it alive!
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

Here is a great video of Charlie Chaplin giving a str8 shave:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MxCuXGCR8TE

Edit: The first link stopped working so I removed it.
Last edited by giraffejumper on Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hosstito

Post by hosstito »

this clip contains what is probably one of the funniest shaving moments ever. it's the three stooges cooking and curly 'shaves some ice'. hope you appreciate it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwP685FYnbI

also, couldn't find any screen shots, but in the beginning of the movie trading places, there's a scene where dan akroyd's butler shaves him with a straight.
jaradus

Post by jaradus »

Jeeves & Wooster, season 4 volume 2,

You can see Wooster coming out of GFT, he's on the right-hand side of the car.

http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... terau0.jpg
- Holmes
hosstito

Post by hosstito »

Ok, i figured i'd contribute to this awesome thread and grabbed some screen shots. First, Matt Daemon and Ed Norton getting a shave in 'Rounders' :

And, a few of Dan Akroyd from the short shaving scene in the beginning of 'Trading Places' :

Image[/img]
final_id

Post by final_id »

Shaving is hard to film (or put on stage, for that matter) because the lather dries up unless you have a brilliant properties master who knows how to make it out of mashed potatoes or something like that. Water and water-based substances are difficult to deal with in the manner in which modern movies are created, which requires several takes of EXACTLY THE SAME EVENT.

It's the same reason why you see so many scenes of people getting into swimming pools, and so many scenes of people getting out of swimming pools, but so few scenes of the same person immediately before or after the contact with the pool's contents. They do something tricky like cut from a full-body to a head-shot to mask the fact that they don't want to bother to re-wet and re-re-wet the actor's chest hair or boobies, etc.

Also the same reason so few kids are depicted in wet scenes. They're even LESS patient.

Old movie crud. Notice how often someone actually goes swimming in "Jaws"?
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

hosstito and everyone else - thank you for adding to this thread and keeping it alive!
I plan on adding movies to it as I find shaving scenes in them.
So it will only get longer and longer!
Last edited by giraffejumper on Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
giraffejumper

Rome wasn't shaved in a day.....

Post by giraffejumper »

Here is Gaius Julius Caesar in HBO's "Rome" series getting a shave without any lather. Ouch!
And finally - a towel to wipe off the whiskers. I wonder if this is how the ancient Romans really shaved.
final_id

Post by final_id »

Regarding the Roman shaving depicted, I'm a bit surprised they aren't using some kind of oil. Both lye-based cleaning, and suspending the lye in animal fat (soap!) were known in the ancient world, but were not necessarily the first choices for application on human skin. So maybe the barbitonsor wouldn't lather ol' Iulius up, but he certainly had access to all sorts of oils and unguents for many personal hygiene projects. Aeneas is reported as oiling himself by the seaside; and many archaeological finds include phylacteries and jugs for all sorts of odd oozes and creams. Pureed sea-slug for your eyelids, anyone? And of course, the Romans loved their public baths!

So, I would have guessed that Caesar would have had this service performed indoors in a multiple-pool building ("bath") and would have had his beard oiled somehow by the barber before the bronze, iron, or copper blade was applied. But then, maybe the researchers for the Rome series found out something different that I don't know about.

On a related topic: no regular razor blades, because no steel available, of course! Except maybe a strange "Damascus blade," probably too big for shaving.
giraffejumper

Post by giraffejumper »

Here are a few pics from "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum"
This looks like how I feel after some of my bad shaves:
Getting oiled up:
Then the shave:
bjrn

Post by bjrn »

Here are some pictures from Les Triplettes de Belleville (or Belleville Rendez-Vous as it's sometimes called). It's just a short bit, and you don't get to see big parts of the shave, but in the background there's a very nice little tune.

Edit: You can listen to a small excerpt of it here, it's the track called "'Cieco Cieco' Barber".

Last edited by bjrn on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
bjrn

Post by bjrn »

Another pic from Jeeves & Wooster. Soap (or cream perhaps), a brush, and a scuttle-like thing, but with an open top (Jeeves dunks the brush in the water through the top of the thing).
Last edited by bjrn on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEF

Post by DEF »

I have no way to do a screen capture, but in The Patriot, there's a scene where Gen. Cornwallis is being shaved by one of his men. The fellow uses a very unrealistic flipping motion -- could have used some coaching.

Regards,
Doug
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

DEF wrote:I have no way to do a screen capture, but in The Patriot, there's a scene where Gen. Cornwallis is being shaved by one of his men. The fellow uses a very unrealistic flipping motion -- could have used some coaching.
I watched that too yesterday (assuming you watched it on television -- TNT I think). The technique was mildly painful to watch. There was another scene I believe where Col. Tavington is shaving with a straight on the battlefield which seems like an interesting experience to have.
--Greg
bjrn

Post by bjrn »

And yet another J&W pic, a ceramic scuttle with a (barely visible) brush resting in it.

Last edited by bjrn on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

While training a client the other day he had on VH1 and in the video a guy picks up a Schick Adjustable Injector and plows through about 1" of foamy on his face. I thought for a moment that the video director and the props guy must have thought that the injector looked really cool! Then I realised it was a VH1 Classic video. It was actually from the 70's. Now for the life of me I can't remember the song or the artist.

Also I was watching "Don't Say A Word" with Michael Douglas who is a psychologist whos daughter is kidnapped by bad guys who want the Doctor to retrive a 6 digit number buried in the mind of a young girl in a psych ward. Well when he walks into his bathroom I saw a Brush with a stand and what was probably an M3. I was trying so hard to check out the set up that I almost overlooked the two framed straight razors and strops that were on the wall for decoration. :oops:
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
rafikz

Post by rafikz »

DEF wrote:I have no way to do a screen capture, but in The Patriot, there's a scene where Gen. Cornwallis is being shaved by one of his men. The fellow uses a very unrealistic flipping motion -- could have used some coaching.

Regards,
Doug
Windows Media Player ; click right on the screen when playing