Canon Rebel XSi? Opinions?

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
MaxP

Canon Rebel XSi? Opinions?

Post by MaxP »

Hello-

I'm thinking I need a DSLR.

I had a Sony Alpha A200. I just could get along with it. So, I gave it to my daughter in law.

I can't really afford a new camera so I'm thinking about a used Canon EOS Rebel XSi.

Good choice? Comments? Advice?

What I really want is to be able to take nice sharp closeups. You know razors, brushes. Important stuff!

I was thinking fleabay because there are often sellers who have a second lens and other goodies that are selling all because they're upgrading. Good idea to look there?

Thanks
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
Gene

Post by Gene »

I prefer interchangable lens camera's myself, and Canon more than the others. I'm not familiar with that line from Canon, if I were in the market for a DSLR I would look at the 30D or the 40D (don't know your budget...if it's really low the 20D is a great choice, too).

I never had the rig for decent close-up shots, but to my mind a lens that can shoot macro would be nice. But that might be overkill...

eBay is a good place to look, if you wade through the chaff to get to the good deals...but there are so stinking many "dealers" of camera equipment it's scary. After you look at eBay I can recommend KEH.com. They are in Atlanta, and they sell new/used/refurb gear...at prices that beat eBay many times. And I have NEVER been burned from anything I bought from them...if anything they are conservative in their ratings.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Max -- I would ask myself first why a DSLR? If you aren't sure, and think that a more expensive camera will give you good pictures, then you will be disappointed, I think. In our house we have a Nikon owner, an Olympus 4/3 owner (me) and an Olympus M4/3 (my wife). We all love our cameras for very individual reasons. My daughter is a budding photographer, and didn't want to put a ton of coin down to get started in proper photography, so bought the D3100 about a year ago. I, on the other hand, wanted easy access to features and controls, so I opted for the Olympus e-620 3 years ago. My wife, wanted point-and-shoot ease of use, with larger sensor image quality, quicker focus speed and better all-round performance. She has an Olympus Mini-PEN (E-PM1).

Each and every one of us get precisely what we want out of what we have. I know that Canon has the largest market share at the moment (fluctuating between Nikon and Canon over many, many years), but that doesn't make it the best option necessarily.

I'd consider understanding first what you are intending to do -- and if your purpose is to simply take better pictures, I'd look at investing in a good photography class and then decide on a DSLR or interchangeable mirror-less, which is rapidly gaining tons of momentum - especially with Canon's finally setting off into that space.

ymmv.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

@ Wendell-

Thanks for the reply.

I've used two Nikon Point and Shoot cameras and most recently, a SonyDSC-WX9.

NONE of them produce the crystal clear close up shots that I want. I know the pix exist. I see them regularly.

Perhaps its operator lack of training. I've tried reading the manuals (on line of course). Still can't get there. I just concluded I need better equipment.

However, I'm open to ideas and suggestions. That's why I posted for help.
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Still not sure what exactly you are after -- the thing that contributes most to high quality images is the glass you are looking through -- i.e. the lenses are the key. The xsi is an ok camera, but pretty old in terms of technology.

Have you considered perhaps a bridge camera instead of a DSLR? The Canon G series are great cameras and produce outstanding images for the price point. May be worth considering.
Wendell

MaxP

Post by MaxP »

Thanks.

I'm trying to get images like this:

If I can do this with a PnS, then please steer me to a specific model.
I'll check into the G Series in the meantime.
Regards,

MaxP

Gene

Post by Gene »

Max, I am pretty sure that is a macro lens. I am not an expert on all cameras, but I don't think point and shoots can do that. But you should check it out yourself.

Wendell is right about making sure the camera does what you feel you need. I sold my Canon 20D and all my lenses about a year ago, and went with the Sony NEX 5. I really love the camera, except for the things I don't. It is a mirror-less system, and performs great, but I do miss a viewfinder.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Larry T

Post by Larry T »

Hi Max,

I've been using the Canon system for a long time. My current camera is a 50D, with a collection of a dozen or so lenses. The XSi is a nice camera, fully capable of the kind of quality you are looking for, with the right lens. You will need a good macro lens, and that can easily cost more than the camera body. I have a Sigma 50mm f2.8 that focuses down to life size, acually a little bigger on an APS sensor, and only cost me about $250. It's easy to use and very sharp, at the price, it's hard to beat.

The lighting wasn't the best for this picture, but it illustrates the magnification potential. I was not at the closest focus point for the lens.

Here's another example, with a more appropriate subject.

I also have a Canon G9, an excellent camera with decent macro capability in a small package, but I prefer a DSLR for close work.

Larry
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

If you are after high quality macro images, then the xsi should get you there as a start with a good macro lens. There are plenty of good options for you with the Canon mount. Being an Oly buff, I will defer to others who are more comfortable with providing details/advice on the Canon line of cameras.

One thing I will add --- photography, like shooting, is full of AD syndromes. I guarantee you'll buy one lens, then a flash, then a macro light ring, then it's studio gear, then its .......

I think you get the picture. :wink:
Wendell

mikey

Post by mikey »

Hello Max,

You will need a good macro lens (60mm or 100mm) to take photos like that. I can't recommend any Canon gear as I have always been a Nikon guy.

Thanks,
Mike
MaxP wrote:Thanks.

I'm trying to get images like this:

If I can do this with a PnS, then please steer me to a specific model.
I'll check into the G Series in the meantime.