Mont Aigoual and the Cévennes National Park

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
Lyrt

Mont Aigoual and the Cévennes National Park

Post by Lyrt »

Hello guys!

It's been a long time and I don't know if the usual suspects are still here. Who left? Who stayed? Anyway, I hope you're all doing fine. I won't pick up where I left off, because I can't even remember where I left off. I'm still practicing photography as a hobby and on Tuesday, I went to the Mont Aigoual within the Cévennes National Park. There was almost nobody and it's great to be able to find places where you can still contemplate nature's wonders alone.

I already went there during last autumn, if you want a point of comparison:

Here's the kind of forests you can find there. My friends and I picked about a hundred kilos (220 pounds, says my metric converter) of mushrooms last autumn:

I have other pics lost in my computer. I'll post them if I find them. :)
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Yukio, good to see you!

Another lovely spread of photos, as we have come to expect from you!

(Still sporting a beard? I've worn a beard for over 40 years, but I do shave my neck. :) )

- Murray
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

Hey, Murray, thank you. Oh yes, I'm still sporting a beard and once a week I use a crappy Philips trimmer (truly a P.O.S.). I believe it used to be called Norelco or Philishave on your side of the pond. Right now, my gear is just an exquisite ornament for my bathroom.
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

Oh, and if you're lucky, you can see the mont Aigoual is literally above the clouds. Unfortunately, that day I didn't have the proper lens to shoot that sea of clouds:

Lyrt

Re: Mont Aigoual and the Cévennes National Park

Post by Lyrt »

Fog. A lot.
Magical trees.
Boletus Edulis. Translates as penny bun, porcino or cep in English (says Wikipedia)
Well. Autumn is here.

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

More good shots, Yukio. I especially like the effect of the saturated green moss in the fog.

I'm glad you still stop by to share your photography with the old gang.

- Murray
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Some magnificent shots. Thank you.
Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

Incredible photos. Thanks.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

I can't remember the last time I posted here. 'twas probably this thread. And apparently imgur of Firefox completely oversaturate my colours. It probably has something to do with their respective colour spaces, but I'm too lazing to investigate the matter right now.

Last edited by Lyrt on Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for stopping by and sharing some new images, Yukio!

As a serious photographer, I'm curious as to what format you have chosen to get the quality of image that you require. Do you shoot APS-C, full frame, or other?

I was heavy into photography for a long time, but I haven't taken any photos for a number of years. Now, I am looking for inspiration to get back into it. I have a closet full of old manual-focus, manual-exposure film cameras, in 35mm and medium format (my beloved old TLRs), but I haven't made the transition to digital. I'm most inclined to shoot the TLRs right now and, if I really get back into it, I might consider adding digital.

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Posting images as sRGB usually fits with most browsers.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

Chris => Aye, aye, doctor! That's what I did. I usually process my photographs in Adobe RGB and then save them for web in sRGB, but imgur seems to convert them a second time, thus turning my blue into cyan, muted green into mutated green and pretty much everything else into the clownish variety I abhor. The same pictures look perfectly normal in Facebook.

Oh, well.

Murray => I'm a bit drunk and I need to brush up on my English to answer your question. I'm going to pour another glass of that fine whisky I'm drinking and then I'll try to be as informative as I can be.
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

I'm sorry it took me so long to answer your question. I take it you know photography well if you have a long experience with film equipment. First you have to know there are no bad products in the DSLR segment of the main manufacturers. With the notable exceptions of Canon, Leica and Fuji, I believe everybody uses Sony sensors (Nikon, Pentax, Sony of course, Hasselblad recently switched to Sony, GoPro, Apple for their iPhones, Samsung for their Galaxies, though the S5 now sports a native sensor, etc.). The determining factor in your choice will be the ergonomics of your camera and its ecosystem, i.e. lenses, flashes and other gadgetries.

An APS-C camera will allow you to buy lighter lenses specifically designed for their smaller sensors, but you won't be able to use them should you choose to upgrade to a full-frame camera. APS-C sensors offer less dynamic range and noisier high-ISO images than their full-frame counterparts.

Personally, I use an APS-C Nikon D300 with the following lenses
– Sigma 10-20 mm F/4-5,6 DC (my only DX lens, “DX” being the Nikon code for cropped sensor)
– Nikon 50mm f/1,4G
– Nikon VR 105mm f/2,8G IF-ED (macro)
– Nikon 70-200mm f/2,8G ED VR II
Nikon's latest D610 & D810 are absolutely fantastic with tons of dynamic range that absolutely trounce the competition.

Now, I decided to invest in a full-frame Canon because they offer lenses that ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER manufacturer have. Here's a photograph that sums it up:

– Canon EF 85mm f/1,2L II USM. That is the only lens that I say takes the photograph instead of the photographer. If you don't misfocus (is that a word?), it will be impossible to get a bad portrait. It's fast, sharp and its bokeh is to die for.
– Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L. No other manufacturer offers a tilt-shift lens that wide.
– Canon TS-E 24mm f/3,5L II. No other manufacturer offers a 24mm allowing the tilt and the shift to be rotated independently of each other. I'll post examples of things you can do with them in another post.
– Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo. I bought it last week. Just keep in mind that this particular lens allows for a 5:1 magnification range.

All these lenses are insanely sharp. Now, I have to admit that Canon's UI is absolutely retarded. Lots of useful options are buried in submenus and even the buttons seem misplaced. What I will say is trivial if you're a function-over-looks man, but I don't like the rounded design and toy-like look of Canon's cameras, even though they are built like tanks. Nikon's cameras have shortcuts for everything and I find them simply more beautiful (thank you Italian design and Giugiaro).
Having been a long-time exclusive Nikon shooter, I hate to admit it, but I prefer Canon's colours, particularly for skin tones. I don't process my Canon's photos much. I adjust luminosity and contrast a bit and that's it. However, if I underexposed or overexposed my pictures, there's not much I can do to recover them. With Nikon's sensors, you have much more leeway as they record far more data in shadows and highlights.

If none of these lenses were essential to me, if had to invest in a totally new system, I would seriously consider Sony's offering. They are disrupting the market with their Alpha 7 cameras (α7, α7R and α7S) which are simply the first full-frame hybrid cameras. Look at this size comparison:

I would also take a look at the APS-C Fuji X-Pro system, because I'm a retarded hipster, and then I'd come back to my senses and stop entertaining the idea.

I always carry a Sony RX100 P&S which is spectacular when the lighting conditions are not too challenging. Otherwise it simply gets trounced by its big brothers. Note that all the photos here were taken with the Sony, but I've heavily processed them with PS.

Of course, I have flashes, tripods and remote controls. I also use film cameras such as Nikon F3, Nikon F6, Canon A1, Canon EOS1v, and a Mamiya RZ67 medium-format camera on which I slapped a Polaroid back. Yes, I really am a retarded hipster, minus the tattoos and the big beard. With more money and less common sense, I'd consider one of those sexy (film, not digital) Leica Chris love, but alas, I must eat…
Last edited by Lyrt on Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

A perspective control lens allows the photographer to control the appearance of perspective in the image and it is often used to avoid convergence of parallel lines (yes, I'm quoting Wikipedia).

Here's an example with a church in Luxembourg City. The pillars are parallel (well, almost, I had no tripod).

Here are other examples with the Museum of Modern Art of Luxembourg.

Image Image
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Wow, Yukio! You just went to considerable effort to provide a LOT of useful information, both written and photographic. Though you had expressed concern about providing a good explanation in English, I wouldn't know that it wasn't written by a native speaker. ("Misfocus" is indeed a word.) I have been reading about digital and how the different brands of camera compare with each other, but you provided some information about sensors and their relative performance that I hadn't seen elsewhere. I really like your architectural images, as well. Many thanks!

I have had my eye on some Nikon and Fuji APS-C cameras and lenses as my likely first move into digital, though I'm not there yet.

In the meantime, my 35mm equipment consists of multiple Minolta manual-focus SLRs and a good range of Minolta/Rokkor prime lenses. I'm more inclined to shoot medium format now, however. I have long had a weakness for TLRs and I have eight of them. My main shooters are a Minolta Autocord CdS-III (outstanding camera), a Rolleiflex T (rather nice, as well), and a Mamiya C330f (simply brilliant) with three lenses (55mm, 80mm, and 180 mm). I have a lot of accessories for all of these cameras. I love how these old cameras work, and I can't imagine ever completely leaving film behind.

I was heavily into photography in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and past the year 2000, but I have't done anything for the last five-to-ten years. Now, I'm looking for inspiration to get back into it.

A cousin gave me an old flatbed scanner, so I need to see if the software will work with my current computer. I plan to shoot mostly medium format for the time being, mainly 'chromes and B&W, and scan them for local use. Of course, I can also get quality scans if I send the film out to be developed. I am still utterly ignorant of post-processing on the computer, unfortunately.

Thanks again, Yukio.

- Murray
Lyrt

Post by Lyrt »

You're welcome, Murray. Random test: which one was taken with a full-frame? An APS-C? A P&S? No idea, I had to look at the metadata. All three were taken with my D300, the Sigma 10-20 and the Nikon 70-200.