Postgrad Accommodation

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Postgrad Accommodation

Post by drmoss_ca »

My son has started postgrad studies in physics (this bit) at York University in Toronto, so rather than paying rent, his parents have chosen the cheaper route of paying a mortgage. York is in a desolate industrial wasteland near Pearson airport, and the whole area of Etobicoke is characterised as a drug infested crime spot where the current mayor of Toronto has been filmed smoking crack (don't snigger, you who are ruled by Washington DC, we merely follow in your footsteps). As it turns out, his terraced house is in a condo that resembles one of the utopian industrial villages of 19th century England. It seems all his neighbours have very quiet and well-behaved children. The local Chinese supermarket is absolutely jaw-dropping-wonderful (I didn't buy the spiced chicken feet or the frozen containers of pigs' blood, but the selection of oriental delicacies was wonderful). Here's the view from his front door:
Sadly, he doesn't have much furniture there as yet - it would cost more to hire a U-Haul and take furniture while missing work than new furniture would cost. Consequently he has become closely attached to this sofa bed from Ikea:

I have learnt to hate Ikea (though I loved them 25 years ago), especially because of the discrepancies between their promises and their actual ability to perform deliveries. I suppose I should be glad that he made it quite plain that he couldn't wait for us to leave ("I need to work and you are noisy - when are you going?"), which is better than a plea for us to bring him home and not leave him there! Interestingly, we have a contact who is a retired policeman from that area who is keeping an eye on him and has indicated he would like to take him downtown and teach him some street smarts - I'd love to be the fly on the wall on that trip!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Baloosh

Re: Postgrad Accommodation

Post by Baloosh »

The new place seems to have a rather large reptile and arachnid problem. Might want to get that taken care of, although they do seem to be more domesticated than the usual suspects of such an infestation.

On a related note, congrats to him on the new place!
Jason

Post by brothers »

The young man is fortunate to have parents who have the means and the motivation to be able to give him the gifts of an education and all that it takes to get it. Kudos to you both. =D>
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Brilliant --- I think I enjoyed the post as much as the pics.

On the Ikea front, I admit to being very sentimental about the company --- I was first exposed to the wonders (yes, I'll say wonders) of Mr Kamprad's products in 1979-1981 whilst living in Finland. It didn't take long for me to get the niche they had created with the flat-pack, multipurpose approach to living. The philosophy of making small living spaces work better really hit home as I lived in a number of yksiö apartments, which are basically a studio, only in most cases were smaller than what we term a studio here in north america.

Imagine my joy when upon moving to Ottawa, I discovered we had a store here. Yes, I have had more than my fair share of missing parts, broken pieces, etc., but have to admit that they have always made it right each and every time.

Oh, and now my head is hurting after trying to read through the wikipedia post. Science always blinds me .... :shock:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

It wasn't until I read "The Girl Who Played With Fire" that I realized how one can build their whole life around the Ikea paradigm. Fiction though it may be, I'm sure many appreciate the one-stop-shop philosophy -- and compared to the disgustingly awful donated sofa that sits festering in the corner of my abode, I would kill for the young Moss' version -- but in general I don't care a bit for the styles they produce. I have a floor lamp of their's, also donated, very skinny, which has more tilt than the Leaning Tower, and stacked end tables that just sit there in their particle-board and chromed infamy, croaking incomprehensible Swedish vowels at me all night. If I had even a fraction of Lisbeth Salander's money, the Ikea life would not be my first choice. Best of luck to the lad.
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Chris -- I noticed finally who your son reminds me of ..... Dan Fogelberg in his hirsute days of the Netherlands, Pheonix and Twin Sons of Different Mothers.

Good lookin' lad. Best of luck to him in the hunt for his post-grad.

Nice pad as well .... particularly the way you call out the similarities between his new neighborhood and Swindon Railway Village ...... brilliant catch, that.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Wendell, good eye, and now that you mention it ..... also maybe a bit like Alan Parsons? But way better built?

Chris, lots of parents in some US college towns do the same thing, but a condo or house for the three years children will be out of the dorm, and have roommates that help with the mortgage payment and sell it. Well, they did until housing market starting losing value about 3-4 years ago. I know parents whose kids are legacies, that is,the parents went to say Univ. of Tennessee and the kids are expecting/expected to, and there are like 3, and the parents start looking for housing near campus a couple of years before the first one goes. Then all the children live there and parents either keep it as an investment, or as a place to stay for the extended family for football weekends and the such.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I thought I would point out that while Brits snigger, here in the US we snicker. 8)
Even so, your point is well taken that we are not in a good position to snicker at anyone else. :oops:

I think I enjoyed the prose even more than the photos. Congratulations to you and your son for his academic achievement and for the support he receives from you and your wife.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on sentiments already expressed

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Chris, I think your description of York and its environs is somewhat hyperbolic. Although York's location is not in the same league as McGill's, Acadia's, Queen's or even U of Toronto's I don't think it is quite as desolate as you describe. When compared with Tatamagouche, however, it probably does look rather dismal.
Bryan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Having been there a couple of times I am inclined to agree. It is still pretty awful, but I've lived in worse places. As a student I lived in the East End of London - West Ham and Stratford weren't pretty at all in those days, but I walked around at night without fear. Mind you, I wasn't worth mugging in those days and wearing my RAF surplus greatcoat, Chinese furry hat and smoking a pipe I was probably terrifying to the denizens!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Chris,

Great thread Chris. My days of sending kids off to school ended 10 yrs or so ago. But I was taken by the second image you posted in this thread. To me it speaks a thousand words. Thanks for that!
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum