ShutterBug requires skills I can't seem to master

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
brothers

ShutterBug requires skills I can't seem to master

Post by brothers »

Recently Chris Moss posted a remarkably beautiful photo of the changing leaves of Autumn. Here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=52670 For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do that. What makes all of this more cumbersome is the fact that we have two "stickies" that are ancient and don't seem to be of any help with the new SMF2 that we are so grateful to have these days. Can anyone help me get through this seemingly difficult process? I apologize for being so dense! :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gene

Re: ShutterBug requires skills I can't seem to master

Post by Gene »

Gary - Others who are more knowledgeable will chime in, but I wrestle with this myself, and have come to these conclusions:

1) Optics - better lenses produce better images. For a Canon user that means USM ring-type EOS lenses at a minimum, or "L" glass if you can afford it. Also - prime lenses produce better images than most telephoto/zoom lenses.
2) Filters - can help enhance the image.
3) Camera body - 8 megapixel or 20 megapixel - you have to shoot in max resolution, fine JPG for sure. But, at 5x7 or 8x10, or just viewing on your computer - as long as you are set to max resolution the body shouldn't hurt, but see 1 & 2 for best results.
4) Post-shot processing: I like to make the image as good as I can in the camera, because I don't have/use any image processing software, but I am leaning towards installing something. Photoshop/Elements or the like can do a whole lot towards enhancing a shot. For this - shoot in RAW format.

My 2 cents - looking forward to other responses.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

gene, I think gary was referring to the process of posting pics in the same manner the good doctor does....but im dense too so who knows for sure except gary lol

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Gene

Post by Gene »

Too early in the morning to blame it on the Becks...

Told you others would be more knowledgeable...

A shame, really, I thought I was helping...
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

:D :D ....youre a very good man Gene; early morning or not!
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gene, I'm grateful for your kind response. Alas, I've never been much of a photographer, for sure! First, I've got to figure out how to post my poor photos. Then I'll eventually have to learn how to improve my photog skills.That's going to be a major problem! I was pretty good at using the gallery to post my photos before it was decommissioned.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Exapno

Post by Exapno »

You need to upload any photos you want to use to an image hosting site like Flickr or Photobucket. Once you've done that you copy the direct url (web address) of that photo. When writing a post there's an 'Img' button that inserts the correct code into your post, you then paste or type the url of your image in the middle of that code (which will be [ img ] url of your image [ /img ] but without the gaps.

Make sense?
"I don't know whether my life has been a success or a failure. But not having any anxiety about becoming one instead of the other, and just taking things as they come along, I've had a lot of extra time to enjoy life."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks fellows. Earlier I exchanged PMs with Oscar who has this posting thing down pat. Today I spent the past hour or more working hard to make something work, and now comes the experimental post to see what happens when I think maybe this will work.

Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Oh, what a relief it is! This is what I've been trying to do for weeks. Thanks for the encouragement guys. I feel like a huge burden's been taken off my back. Wow!
P.S. There should be a sticky with current instructions? I'm just asking, because for all I know maybe the information in the existing stickies is 100% correct. I'm anything but the expert.
Last edited by brothers on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

Exapno

Post by Exapno »

By jove, I think he's got it!
"I don't know whether my life has been a success or a failure. But not having any anxiety about becoming one instead of the other, and just taking things as they come along, I've had a lot of extra time to enjoy life."
brothers

Post by brothers »

The big difference in my technology on this end is that I used to have to use a digital camera, take the picture, download it from the camera memory to the desktop, then get it posted. Now instead of using the camera, I'm using my new phone to take the picture, then going through the transfer process.
Gary

Gene

Post by Gene »

After a busy day at a convention I can now add one thing relevant that came to mind...I sold some razors not long ago (not a bump, just a remembrance of what I had to do). I, too had trouble posting images - compared to what we used to have.

I noticed right away, after I had posted all my shots that they were HUGE on the screen. So - one thing right away - change the settings on your camera to about the smallest setting you can, and the images are much smaller. Using the processes already described with Flicker or whatever may help with that, I don't know.
Gene

Mark Twain

Alan Moore
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

And the magic process is?
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:The big difference in my technology on this end is that I used to have to use a digital camera, take the picture, download it from the camera memory to the desktop, then get it posted. Now instead of using the camera, I'm using my new phone to take the picture, then going through the transfer process.
I presume you know about Bluetooth right? Best and by far easiest way to transfer from phone to PC. Been doing it across my phones and laptops for a few years and it really saves you time and bother.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, as you've probably suspected :lol: Bluetooth is "known" to me only in the sense that I know about rocket science and brain surgery, and all things Chinese. It's a big deal and I'm embarrassed :oops: by my failure to embrace it and learn about it. Now I've got a new puzzle to solve, thanks to you!
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:Wendell, as you've probably suspected :lol: Bluetooth is "known" to me only in the sense that I know about rocket science and brain surgery, and all things Chinese. It's a big deal and I'm embarrassed :oops: by my failure to embrace it and learn about it. Now I've got a new puzzle to solve, thanks to you!
It can take a bit of tweaking to work, but when it works, it's excellent.

And now with NFC(Near Field Communication) on many mobile phones you can do some pretty nifty wireless stuff between devices which are enabled with this technology. A new AD perhaps?
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, I've done some reading about Bluetooth. My mobile phone and PC now recognize one another on the piconet. Now is the phase where I start to try to use the technology.
Gary