Stand Development

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Stand Development

Post by drmoss_ca »

I tried something new for me today. Stand development entails using extremely dilute developer that has just enough reagent in it to develop one film and no more. Then you leave the film in it for a prolonged period with no agitation at all. Why? Remember film has light sensitive silver halides in the emulsion. These are chemically changed by exposure to light, and the more light the more the silver halide is changed to clumps of metallic silver. A developer amplifies the metallic silver from as little as four atoms to billions in each cluster. The more silver, the darker that part of the negative, and the lighter it will be in the positive print that will be made from it. So highlights have lots of silver and develop quickly, but shadow areas have little light exposure, little silver in consequence and will take more development to show any detail that might be there. How to get things right for both highlights and shadows? One way is stand development. The solution of developer sits stagnant against the film emulsion, and is quickly exhausted where it is adjacent to a highlight, but without agitation, no new developer moves in to over-develop these areas. Conversely, next to a shadowy part of the film the developer can take the whole prolonged developing time to bring out as much detail as possible without the risk of 'blowing out' the highlights, which would result in them being pure white with no detail in the final print. Normal methods of development involve concentrated developer, much agitation to keep fresh reagent next to the film, and precise timing that may be rather short and hurried. If the negative is perfectly exposed, and the scene it recorded isn't overly contrasty all will be well if you do your part correctly. Stand development just means there's a way of avoiding hassle, rescuing high dynamic range images, without having to be precise about times, temperatures and agitation regimes. It's tolerant enough that you can process different films of different speeds in the same tank (though I have yet to try that).
Anyway, I took my medium format Voigtlander Bessa III loaded with FP4+ and a Leica M7 with TMax400 and a Summarit 75 with me when I went to do rounds this AM. Both films were loaded into tanks, and pre-soaked for 5 minutes in water. Then 1:100 diluted developer (the Blazinal form of Rodinal for those who care)was added and the tanks inverted 10 times. They sat for 30 minutes, and I did 3 inversions to prevent a problem where the bottom edge of the film gets over developed from the solution beginning to 'settle out' and then left them another 30 minutes. No stop bath needed for developer this weak, just a water stop, fixing and washing. Hung them to dry and then scanned on an Imacon 848. The large negatives from the 120 film in the Bessa III came out beautifully. The TMax has a bit of grain, as you might expect, and since these are headshots of women, I had to soften that a bit. I'll put the medium format photos first here, then the 35mm.

I do work with some lovely people! I think I shall have to explore this technique some more. Another developer that can be used this way is also sitting in my chemistry fridge - Kodak HC-110. I'd better get to know all the foibles of Rodinal/Blazinal first though. BTW, the developing reagent in it is 4-aminophenol, and it can be made at home with 30 Extra Strength Tylenol tablets, 50g sodium sulfite, 20g sodium hydroxide and 250ml water. It takes a week, but there will be enough 4-aminophenol released by then to use it exactly as the commercial concentrate after filtering out the tablet excipients. (Anything that will react with silver halides but not with metallic silver will make a developer. Lots of homebrew recipes use instant coffee and vitamin C.)

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Re: Stand Development

Post by CMur12 »

That's interesting, Chris. With all my old film cameras, I have often thought that this might be a good time to get into black and white, develop the negatives, and scan them for digital printing. So, any good information about developing is helpful. I read on a Brazilian photography forum about developer made with instant coffee, so that has me curious also.

Your 120 images look more contrasty and seem to have more depth than the 35mm ones. Is that due to lenses, film, or scanning?

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Always better contrast with slower speed films. I guess I could have added more adjustments to the TMax400 - altered the curves further and added contrast. But I wanted to see what the differences were rather than torture the files into the same appearance.

If Caffenol appeals to you, here's a blog dedicated to its use.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Here's the same process with a 400ISO film, HP5+, in medium format. Again less contrast, so it's the speed rather than the format (ie camera and lens) that alters contrast.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Your 35mm shots are also more warmly toned, at least as they appear here, which may contribute to the impression of lower contrast.

I had always thought of higher speed films having higher contrast, but I may be confusing that with the effects of push processing. Verichrome Pan (ISO 125) was certainly of lower contrast than Tri-X (ISO 400 or 360). I know that Plus-X (ISO 125) was higher contrast than Verichrome Pan, but I don't recall how its contrast compared with Tri-X. I really don't know anything about Ilford B&W or Kodak T-Max films.

- Murray
Gene

Post by Gene »

CMur12 wrote:That's interesting, Chris. With all my old film cameras, I have often thought that this might be a good time to get into black and white, develop the negatives, and scan them for digital printing.....Your 120 images look more contrasty and seem to have more depth than the 35mm ones. Is that due to lenses, film, or scanning? - Murray
I saw the same thing Murray - the light jackets were much whiter in the medium format images. I learned photography on a medium format Rollie in high school - miss that camera. Been thinking about medium and large format photography lately myself. Shoot as slides with Velvia, maybe - then have them scanned.

I read somewhere that a 35mm shot - at the high scan rates a lab can do - have more resolution than a 24 megapixel camera. And images from larger negatives produce far better images.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Brilliant work. I miss being in a dark room --- really enjoyed doing that when I was younger. Digital is great in many ways, but there is something about fiddling around with developer, stop bath and an enlarger. Just plain fun.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Chris, thanks, by the way, for the Caffenol link!

Gene, my favorite cameras are old TLRs (Twin Lens Reflexes). I have a Rolleiflex T that I really like, by my favorites are the Minolta Autocords.

- Murray
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

jww wrote:Brilliant work. I miss being in a dark room --- really enjoyed doing that when I was younger. Digital is great in many ways, but there is something about fiddling around with developer, stop bath and an enlarger. Just plain fun.
I miss those days as well Wendell. For me part of the fun was the "scent" of the chemicals. KInda like it is with the "scent" of a good shave cream or soap.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

So I tried using HC-110 for stand development to see if the grain on a 400ISO film would be less than with Rodinal, and I believe it is. This is Legacy Pro 400 shot at box speed. The recipe was:
1. Five minute pre-soak in water
2. HC-110 4ml in 500ml water, ie 1:125. 10 inversions at the start
3. One gentle inversion at 30 minutes
4. Water stop at 60 minutes
5. Fix, hypo clear, wash, dry all as usual

Leica MP, Noctilux, Imacon 848 scan

(My wife looks glum because she's stuck at home in a blizzard, not because I'm pointing a camera at her again!)

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Another set using a 400ISO film, TMY, and HC-110 stand to give less grain than Rodinal. I'm happy with the way it works. All with Leica M7, Summilux 50, yellow filter, and Imacon 848 scan.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think I'm about done with this series of experiments. Back to standard developing technique today, using TMax developer for 8 minutes at 20ºC on TMax 100 film. Invisible grain and lots of detail. Oh well. Bessa III and Imacon 848 scans.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

For comparison purposes, these are some more but done with the M Monochrom, a black and white only digital camera with very high resolution as it has no Bayer filter on the sensor. All with Summilux 75:

There's still something about the tones from film that is attractive though...

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Pentax SF-1, XP2 @ 200, Rodinal stand, Imacon 848 scans:

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

A very compelling collection of moments, Chris.

XP2 is chromogenic B&W, isn't it? It seems I've seen something about this somewhere recently (perhaps even here), but do you just develop this film with the same chemistry and approach as standard silver halide B&W? How does C-41 B&W differ from standard B&W with the same development?

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

You're right, it is supposed to be developed by the ubiquitous High Street C-41 process. But that process, standardised as it is, is still more complex than B&W development. Any C-41 colour negative film can be developed in just about any B&W developer, but will result in a monochrome image. XP2 and Kodak BW400CN are monochrome films, but with just a little silver and a single layer of dye to create the image. XP2 has a greyish purple tint to its base and is designed to be printed on B&W paper, while BW400CN has the orange base of a colour film and is supposed to be printed on colour paper. I scan them so I don't care. The trick in development is to get as little grain as possible, as most C-41 films done this way end up very grainy and contrasty. XP2 pulled to 200, and stand developed comes out with no grain visible without a loupe. There are many experienced darkroom types who still don't believe it can be done, but I'm finding it easy to get results that are, technically, pleasing. Whether the photos are any good is quite another matter!

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

While these discussions are way over my head, I always enjoy seeing your pics, Chris and hearing all the details around how you work with film. Alas - digital has kept me from film for over 10 years, but I rather enjoy hearing the experiences of others with it.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell has a knack for saying stuff a lot better than I can. I agree completely with him on this topic. Thanks!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Interesting.

I have oodles of Tech Pan (2415? It's been years since I've used any or even looked at it in the freezer). Is there any reason stand developing wouldn't work for it? I can't remember what I was using for developer. I know lots of developers worked with it, but I always used one that developed the finest grain, basically no grain. It would drive my printer nuts as she had nothing to focus on. I used to do a lot of astrophotography and the last thing I wanted was grain.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yes, you could use very dilute Rodinal, or even good old D-76. What you might want to do, though, is to offer it for sale. It hasn't been sold for ten years and some folks still miss it.
One of the nice things about having a freezer dedicated to film storage is that you end up with stocks of discontinued film that appreciates in value. I have >100 rolls of Plus-X that are worth twice what I paid for them.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace