Get Photoshop for free!

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
ShadowsDad

Get Photoshop for free!

Post by ShadowsDad »

That was just to get you to open the post. It actually isn't Photoshop, but it is very much like PS, just without the price. It IS free. It's called Gimp.

I had a copy of Photoshop that did all that I wanted it to do, but it was old. It got corrupted and after reinstalling it I had to activate it and Adobe no longer supported it. That sent me on a quest. I tried Elements, but I never really got along with it; I didn't like the way Adobe crippled it. My search for new photo software ultimately led me to Gimp.

http://www.gimp.org/

It's open sourced and has plugins to do lots of things. If you need it to do something just let someone know and maybe they'll write a plugin for your need.

Be sure to get both files, the program installer and the manual installer (in your language). It'll take a bit of time to find all of it's associated files the first time it starts up, but after that it comes up instantly. It's amazing freeware. I'm guessing Adobe really PO'ed a bunch of folks and they decided to fight back with Gimp. No one puts that amount of work into a program unless they're on a mission.

OK, another reason to use Gimp... I understand that todays Photoshop isn't really purchased, but rented. Parts of the program being in the clouds. That's really great if the internet is down and you want to use your photo program. Gimp is right on your computer hard drive, exactly the way software should be, no renting it, and no dependence on some cloud that evaporates. Oh, no activation either, so even if the folks writing the software decide not to do it anymore, you still have the software.

It works fine with Windows 7 64 bit. I can't help with other systems. I know my brother used it on an XP computer for years. But I have no direct experience with that, just what he told me.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Get Photoshop for free!

Post by drmoss_ca »

To clarify the Creative Cloud version of PS does reside on your computer. Once a month it phones home to check you have been paying the rent. I'm not a fan of rented software and fortunately for me, PS CS6 still works in OS 10.9. What will really upset me is if Lightroom goes to a rental model. At that point I will have to hope that Aperture 4 (if and when it is ever released) is worth having. Aperture 3.5 is a bargain and has unquestionably the best digital management of any photo app, but its RAW manipulation has fallen behind LR, particularly with respect to noise reduction.

Some years back I did try MacGimp, which used the X window system. It was un-maclike and didn't do layers at that time. I think it does now. When PS CS6 stops working with some OS upgrade one day I shall be trying it again rather than pay the Adobe tax.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Gimp came bundled with my Linux/Mint OS and I use it all the time. Not as sophisticated as Photoshop but does what I need it to do.
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am not very graphics and photo enhancing software friendly. I run IrfanView to do very rudimentary stuff like resize photos and convert files to gif or jpg, and that's about it. However, I have played with gimp, and Brian is correct, it can do a lot of things with an image.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'm finding it to be an extremely powerful program. I've started in the manual, gone through section I and beginning section II. What I really need out of it is the printing of photo "packages" and while Photoshop is extremely good in that regard I think I've figured out how to do manually in Gimp what PS does automatically. Once I have the page set up I just print the same page over and over, so it's no big deal. It certainly isn't worth renting Photoshop to get the automated print package.

Too, if I donate $ for Gimp and suggest a plug in, they'll take the request seriously. I think it's worth doing. It's worthy of a donation.

Most of what I did in PS is in Gimp. I think I might miss the sharpening tools that PS has. Some of the filters that are missing in Gimp I played with in PS, but I never took them very seriously. I mostly used PS as my "darkroom" to produce the image as my eye/mind saw the photograph.

Edit: I found the sharpening algorithms since writing the above.
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

A further thought for Mac users - if you don't require PS style heavy duty manipulation, the GraphicConverter is a $35 option that will let you do most of the stuff that Gimp does, It's stable and well maintained with good support. It was opening the DNGs from the Monochrom 9 months before Aperture was updated to do so. The name comes from its original function; to batch convert large numbers of files (and it still does this but it's something I rarely use.)

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I mentioned this on another forum and was directed to this site. CS2 really is free. Cursor down a bit to get the serial number to install it.

No need to pirate it. It was released to the public. Entirely legit'.

One thing I liked about CS2 was the automated Picture Package. Now I have it again.
Brian

The_whingnut

Post by The_whingnut »

i use GIMP a lot and with the extra open software content of gimp you can do absolutely everything that PS can do. you just have to find the patches and place them in the system, plus you can open source brushes, filters and other items and load them into gimp or convert them from PS files to gimp. Most can be found at deviantart.com ,

As a semi-professional photographer (i give most of my work away or only charge enough to cover cost) i can't cover the big $$$ for the PS software. if i was doing photograpghy for a living and could pass the cost on as a business expense i might use it.

one thing you do need for gimp is a raw converter (raw therapee or UFraw (both free)), both work well but i'm finding raw therapee to be better for the Windows platform.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The_whingnut wrote:... if i was doing photography for a living and could pass the cost on as a business expense i might use it.
Alas, I am not 100% sure that anyone can actually make a real living with photography unless your dedication is willing to take you through abject poverty for extended periods of time. Many pro photographers I know have come to their financial comfort in life in other pursuits.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
The_whingnut

Post by The_whingnut »

jww wrote:
The_whingnut wrote:... if i was doing photography for a living and could pass the cost on as a business expense i might use it.
Alas, I am not 100% sure that anyone can actually make a real living with photography unless your dedication is willing to take you through abject poverty for extended periods of time. Many pro photographers I know have come to their financial comfort in life in other pursuits.
fair enough I've seen the same too.