Cranes

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Cranes

Post by drmoss_ca »

And now for something completely different:

Olympus OM-D, 12mm/f1.8

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Cranes

Post by jww »

Here I read the topic and found myself thinking of a different kind of crane.

How are you liking the OM-D, Chris? I love my somewhat outdated e-620 and would love to trade up someday.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

This is the E-M5, not the new E-M1. It has far too many menus and no one has yet managed to understand them all. But it does remarkably well for a small sensor camera.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Indeed ..... In hindsight, I have become rather impressed with Oly since they closed out their DSLR line and moved their focus to MFour-Thirds and mirrorless. Initially I thought it was a major mistake, but clearly, in creating a new market space, they have brought themselves back from the brink of certain extinction.

I gave my wife a Pen Mini a couple of years back as a birthday gift, and while she still complains that it's not truly pocketable like her previous Canon Elph-whatever was (I could solve that with a pancake lens) --- she does note that the IQ is vastly superior and quite likes the handling and more premium feel in hand.

I was always a Nikon fan-boy --- although I came "this close" to purchasing an Oly OM when I was getting into this as a teen in high school. I went with the FM instead ---- and still have it, and it still works perfectly (my daughter is all agog about it now). But I always was drawn to the small size and functionality of the Oly brand. When searching for my DSLR a number of years ago (7 or 8 now) I looked at the Canons and considered a D40, but once I got the Oly in hand, saw the quality of the entry level lenses and played with the SuperControlPanel (stupid marketing name, imo) it was game over for me.

I don't take shots near like I used to --- ergo no reason whatsoever to replace the e620.
Wendell

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thinking of a different kind of crane.
ditto :lol:

thanks for thread

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Nice camera! I love(d) my OM-1s. This may be a dumb question but will my old lenses work on an OM-D?

Edit: I did some research, I'm betting my old Oly lenses won't work on it. They have adapters in the works, maybe one will allow it?

Anyway, nice camera. I love my little Sony DSCf828,but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. It appears the OM-D M5 would be a worthy successor. But when I finally make my move undoubtedly there will be other models.

Good for Olympus! Did I mention how much I loved my OM-1s. Still do except I no longer shoot film.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The lenses for the new Olympus mirrorless cameras are built on the mFourThirds standard --- so not directly, no, you lenses won't work. I don't know whether there is an adapter available though.

One thing about the new Zuiko lenses are concerned, they are specifically tuned for digital sensors. Even their budget glass is in a class all on its own.

A new OM is on the same list as a BH/BK-4 for me --- would love one, but not about to spend the money for some time.
Wendell