Leica M9

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
Araner

Re: Leica M9

Post by Araner »

IRT "M9, Lux 50 and tonic water"

Chris, this is truly an exceptional picture. The setting, the colors, the shallow depth of field; it all works beautifully. I expected to see the dark gold hue of scotch in the glass; it would have made for a perfect color balance with your wife’s hair color and complexion. I think this is my favorite of all the images you’ve shared with us so far.

Respectfully,
Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Explored a new stretch of the TransCanada trail today, with—guess what?—more beaver ponds!
M9, Hektor 135:

Not bad for a lens designed in 1933!

Before going out for a walk, we emptied the last of the tubs on the back deck and found the makings of a stew (M9, Summarit 75):

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

No Chris -- not bad at all. The 135 seems to me to be the quintessential range-finder lens. I have seen similar results with other enthusiasts ..... nice shots. Enjoy the stew.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think you mean the 35 rather than the 135. A 135 has a field of view little larger than the rangefinder patch, and focussing it pushes the limits of what a rangefinder can do. I realised once I got out there that I hadn't attached my corrective lens to the eyepiece (a clever device that rotates and corrects for astigmatism), so I couldn't see to focus accurately. Those two pictures were taken using the hyperfocal technique, and rely on depth of field to look sharp. And no, I didn't do any of the math on that page! The quick and dirty trick is to pick a small aperture—f16 is great for landscapes where there's lots of light—then set the infinity mark on the lens to f16 on the adjacent depth of field scale:
At this point everything in the range between the two f16 marks on either side of the depth of field scale will be in acceptable focus, shown with the green lines, so roughly from 4 feet away to infinity. It's how you get a shot like this, with close branches in focus as well as distant scenery:

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Yes Chris, I stand corrected. I fiddled with range cameras as a teen in the high school camera club where most of the non chess club nerds hung out. We had an excellent staff advisor who knew just about everything there was to know about photography in those days , which frankly seemed to be a ton to me. I loved the feel of them but never got it right using them. I am confident that it was the user-to-camera interface. :wink:
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

I can identify with the operator error affliction. I seem to be a candidate for the point and shoot school.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Depth-of-field (DOF) scales ... One of the reasons I never warmed up to autofocus (AF) technology - particularly in the case of AF zoom lenses - is the loss of DOF scales. When I learned photography, one was taught to use them to get the band of focus right where it was needed, and I still rely on them. Of course, one still has to apply some judgment as to the placement of that band and how sharp focus needs to be at the edges thereof.

I'm very comfortable with an all-manual camera and using separate handheld meters - even assessing light values without a meter, but I'm mystified by the little viewfinderless digital point-and-shoot camera that my sister got me for Christmas. I don't have the patience to study a long instruction manual on CD and figure out what all the icons mean on the LCD screen and find the manual overrides to get such a device to do what I want it to do. I'm also resistant to the idea of doing photography on the computer, for purely irrational motives of personal aesthetic. I'm sure I'll add digital to the mix at some point, but I'm not there yet.

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

M9, 35FLE:

and for the wildlife lovers

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

and for the wildlife lovers
Thank you!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Seven days on:

Notice the woodchips on top of the snow, which fell 48 hours ago.

Original photo:

There's only about 4" of wood left, and if we get a breath of wind it will go over. The tree, a poplar I think, is about 35' tall and already leaning over a little.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Two more days have done it:

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Somehow I always picture Beavers at work as wearing hard hats.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

This has me wondering what's the next step in the project to be tackled by the determined little beaver. Surely after getting this far, now he's got to keep going. Makes me tired just thinking about how much more gnawing is going to be necessary. Hopefully he'll get some helpers!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

They truly are unbelievable creatures for sure. As cute as they can be made to be in folklore, you don't want to go near one of these guys at work or at play.

Another great photo from the M9.
Wendell

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

M9, Lux 50, birches and sunshine:

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
nunhgrader

Post by nunhgrader »

These are beautiful!