Pentax 645n

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Pentax 645n

Post by drmoss_ca »

Left over from Christmas:

and today:

Medium format doesn't seem to do it for me now I have tasted the hard stuff. But I have a freezer full of tiny 35mm and small 120 film. I shall do my best to use them up, but the serious stuff will be on sheet film from now on.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

You can always PIF that camera .......... :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I appreciate you sharing your photographic experience with us here, Chris.

There is something singularly attractive about large format (LF). My experience of composition on a groundglass (in medium format) is entirely different from that through an eye-level finder. Swings, tilts, rises, and falls afford a level of control somewhat analogous to that of the shave with an open blade, I would think, which might explain some of the appeal for you. The detail and tonality of LF are unsurpassed. I have seen some LF prints that were so detailed I could have sworn that I would have felt all of the textures of the scene if I were to run my fingers over the print.

What has always slowed me down from pursuing LF is the inconvenience of sheet film. I have often viewed my slow, deliberate approach to medium format photography with my TLRs (Twin Lens Reflex cameras, almost always on a tripod) as "large-format-but-a-bit-too-lazy." Perhaps one day, I'll take that step into large format.

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Pentax 645N, 120/f4, HP5+, single strobe, HC-110, Rondinax 60, Nikon 9000:

Like Father, Like Son by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris 1 by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris 2 by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Wonderful detail and tone. You're looking good too.
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Pentax 645N, 75mm/f2.8, Tri-X @400, HC-110 1:49, Rondinax 60, Nikon 9000:
Holly by chrism229, on Flickr

Mary by chrism229, on Flickr

Emily by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

I can feel the competence and professionalism of the staff.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I can see an office party.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

LOL, me too. :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It's been a long time (and a long story), but I finally got around to doing some portraits that I had promised this couple back in the summer. 645n, 120/f4, FP4+, HC-110, a strobe, two fill lights and the X1 for the scans.

Calora and Keith 3 by chrism229, on Flickr

Calora and Keith 2 by chrism229, on Flickr

Calora and Keith 1 by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Nice work. I suspect they loved them. Not related to these photos, but in general, do studios use airbrush to enhance photos? I remember when my mom took my little brother and me to the studio. She still has those on her wall, and they really look like they were airbrushed.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The only 'airbrush' would be a virtual one. Airbrushing was exactly what it sounds like, a tiny spray can to adjust a darkroom-made wet print. Even I, still using film, scan the negatives with a special scanner and once digitised will adjust things a little in Lightroom or Photoshop. Professionals can't afford the time or the costs of film and, mostly, have never learned how to use it, so they are starting out from the very beginning with a digital file and certainly will use whatever tools they have on their computers to rework the images. Many people take that way too far and end up with lurid and unrealistic pictures that make me wretch.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace