Fuji GW690III Pro

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Fuji GW690III Pro

Post by drmoss_ca »

The infamous 'Texas Leica' - a giant rangefinder with a negative 8 times larger than a 35mm negative. Just so sharp.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Re: Fuji GW690III Pro

Post by CMur12 »

Another nice portrait, Chris.

This is a camera that has long fascinated me. For me, medium format SLRs have too much momentum in the large moving mirrors, so I prefer vibrationless TLRs and rangefinder cameras.

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've three Fuji medium format cameras - the GW690 MkIII, a GA645Pro with autofocus, and the Voigtlander Bessa III version of the Fuji 667. The first and the last are great fun and give good results. The GA645 does too, but it feels a bit like cheating to have autofocus (oddly, it doesn't with the Pentax 645n). I haven't quite hit it off with the Rolleiflex, as I find it hard to focus with its magnifier, and impossible without. A shame as the same 6x6 format in a waistlevel viewfinder in the Hasselblad 500 with a stronger magnifier is child's play to focus. I'm quite content with a fixed lens as it makes you concentrate on the subject and the composition without the distraction of choosing a lens.

It's probably time for me to thin out the herd of cameras. I think the Rolleiflex 2.8GX, the Fuji GA645, a Pentax ME super and an MX and a couple of Nikon FM3a's will go, along with a Leica MP and my old Visoflex, bellows and Visoflex lenses. I'm trying to find a balance between having the armamentarium to keep me occupied for the next eight months, versus raising money as needed during my enforced inactivity.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I have no experience with Hasseblads, so I didn't realize that they were easier to focus than a Rolleiflex TLR. I recall that Hasselblad licensed Minolta's Acute Matte technology for focusing screens in the 1980s, so that might be another factor.

I only focus my TLRs with the magnifier and I have always just accepted that it takes some time to zero in on exact focus. My Rolleiflex T has a bright screen with a central focusing aid, but when it is on a tripod, which is my norm, the focusing aid isn't always on the subject. My Minolta Autocord has a Maxwell Screen with a grid and no additional focusing aid. This makes it easier to focus in low light, but it doesn't snap in and out of focus. My Mamiya C330f, with standard focusing screens, has the easiest focusing of all my TLRs. A Fuji medium format rangefinder would complement my TLRs nicely!

It sounds like you will be selling some nice equipment and that much of your time off work will be leave without pay. I'm sorry for the hardship this will put on you and your family in all of the ugly ways that accompany the cancer experience. Though you may not post when you are in the thick of it, I will keep you all in mind and wish you well.

- Murray
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

By the way, it appears that Fuji is going to discontinue the GF670:

http://petapixel.com/2014/08/25/fujifil ... ngefinder/

I'm tempted to bite the bullet and go all out to get one of these, as everything indicates that it is an outstanding medium format camera. At the same time, it would be a very inconvenient expenditure and I tend to think that I shouldn't put more (much more, anyway) money into film equipment.

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

That's a shame as it is a beautiful camera with an excellent lens. They will be sought after for a long time to come.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Fuji GW690III, Delta 3200 @1600, HC-110(B), Hasselblad X1 scans:

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Had to dwell for a bit on the cookware photo.
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've taken out the "Texas Leica" a couple of times in the last while:

Where did I leave the dog? by chrism229, on Flickr

Dobson Creek by chrism229, on Flickr

Bayhead 2 by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

More photo wonderment.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?