My world in black & white

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
Araner

My world in black & white

Post by Araner »

My true love

The life of a nomad wino

I’ve been walking these streets so long…

Singing the same old song

The door swings both ways

Silhouettes on the boardwalk of life

When steam ships ruled the waves

And, when a promenade was the place to be

Walk, don’t run

Ride, don’t walk

The road to Asakusa

Shall we dance?

Homeward bound

Fuji Acros film, Contax G2 camera, Contax 28mm, 45mm and 90mm lenses
Best regards,
Mike
TheMonk

Re: My world in black & white

Post by TheMonk »

Another set of beautiful pictures from Japan, Mike.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Lovely! The reputation of those Zeiss lenses for the Contax is well deserved.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Araner

Post by Araner »

TheMonk wrote:Another set of beautiful pictures from Japan, Mike.
Hi Monk! Thank you for taking the time to view and comment.

Best regards,
Mike
Araner

Post by Araner »

drmoss_ca wrote:Lovely! The reputation of those Zeiss lenses for the Contax is well deserved.

Chris
Hi Chris! I bought the G2 and lenses used over a period of time one item at a time. Fortunately the 28mm, 45mm and 90mm are reasonably easy to find in excellent condition at what I consider a fair price. Strangely the matching lens caps and hoods are harder to find. Used G1 bodies are plentiful, used G2 bodies in excellent condition are a little harder to find and the rarer black G2 bodies are almost impossible to find and when one does find one it's almost double the price of the champagne gold ones.

Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

I just want to say you gents are making this particular topic one of SMF's most popular, at least for me. Makes me regret never having taken an opportunity to delve into photography. Much obliged!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

The boardwalk ones are fantastic, nice work.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Araner

Post by Araner »

ichabod wrote:The boardwalk ones are fantastic, nice work.
The boardwalk scenes are my favorite too.

The first time I shot the boardwalk I used Fujifilm’s Neopan 400 ISO Presto film and a Bessa rangefinder camera.

After seeing the printed results I thought there was great potential but I wanted something a little less grainy and harsh so I returned with Contax G2 and the Acros film.

What’s hard to tell by the images is that where the pictures are taken is the top of the Yokohama International Passengers Terminal for commercial passenger ships. Entrance to the terminal is unrestricted and free and there’s some great views of the city from there.

The terminal is on the right side of the ship. It was designed to be unobtrusive, to make the visiting ships standout as the sight to see. I think that objective was achieved.

Regards,
Mike
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Less grainy works well, I agree. I like that you've taken something made of straight edges and angles and produced images with a more organic, flowing feel.

Also, the use of boards like that serves as a reminder of ships of yore, in contrast with the (frankly rather terrifying looking) behemoth in your picture.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Araner

Post by Araner »

ichabod wrote:...in contrast with the (frankly rather terrifying looking) behemoth in your picture.
Hi Dominic, that ship is so big it can only enter and depart port at low tide otherwise it wont clear the Yokohama Bay Bridge.

Regards,
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I gotta vote for the feather headress.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I get a sense of how cool it must have been that day, and the black and white seems to enhance that feeling.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have been experimenting with pulling Tri-X. Leica MP, Summarit 35, Tri-X @200, HC-110(E), X1 scans:

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'd say you succeeded. I particularly like how you captured glistening Sunlight on rippling water.
Regards,
Squire
Gene

Post by Gene »

Mike - great images, as always. I am fascinated that the women in Japan feel equally comfortable with western or traditional clothing. I notice in all your works that there seem to be almost as many ladies in kimonos as there are in other clothes.

Chris - I understand pushing as a term for Tri-X - I shot many rolls of high school football games from the sidelines with ASA "pushed" from 400 to 1200...but pulling is not a term I recognize. Can you explain?
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Mike, I especially like the boardwalk scenes, also. They really work well with B&W.

Chris, I like the effect of the pulled Tri-X. From what I can see on-screen, grain appears to be significantly reduced, resulting in a smoother image and more detail.

- Murray
Araner

Post by Araner »

Gene wrote:I notice in all your works that there seem to be almost as many ladies in kimonos as there are in other clothes.
Gene, it's very simple, a woman in a kimono is a camera magnet! The kimono is usually worn as formal attire for thinks like weddings, and there is a less formal version that is worn at things like festivals. Whenever any serious photographer sees a woman in a kimono he will normally try and get her picture.

A couple of candid shots.

Regards,
Mike
Araner

Post by Araner »

CMur12 wrote:Mike, I especially like the boardwalk scenes, also. They really work well with B&W. - Murray
Murray, thank you for the kind comment.

Regards,
Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Gene wrote:Mike - great images, as always. I am fascinated that the women in Japan feel equally comfortable with western or traditional clothing. I notice in all your works that there seem to be almost as many ladies in kimonos as there are in other clothes.

Chris - I understand pushing as a term for Tri-X - I shot many rolls of high school football games from the sidelines with ASA "pushed" from 400 to 1200...but pulling is not a term I recognize. Can you explain?
Pulling means you overexpose it, and develop it for a shorter time. In practice I took a 400ISO film and exposed it as if it were a 200ISO film. This ought to mean less grain, greater dynamic range, and in the case of colour film more saturated colours.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Gene

Post by Gene »

Interesting, thanks Chris. Never heard of it, but I did notice a lack of grain in your images.

I recently went to Nikon for my digital gear - I guess I ought to look for a nice film body to go with my lenses.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore