Leica MP

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Leica MP

Post by drmoss_ca »

It's been a rough couple of weeks but I got back behind a camera today. Has anyone any experience with the way a battery fails in an MP? The meter was a bit strange today—flashing back and forth between one thing and another. The film, XP2, was exposed at my usual ISO200, and developed in my usual regime of 1:100 Rodinal. But there were whited out negs and black ones, along with a very few decent ones. I've changed the battery in case that was the problem and I'll try again tomorrow, weather permitting.
For those who might be curious, the Leica MP is a film rangefinder with a purely mechanical shutter (the M7 has an electronic, battery dependent shutter), a meter which requires a working battery as noted above, but the metering is all manual; no aperture priority as in the M7. Rumour has it they receive a little extra love in the factory and all the brass gears inside are polished a bit brighter so they work even more smoothly than the M7s. I don't think it is true.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Re: Leica MP

Post by CMur12 »

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Chris.

Those are some really good examples of B&W, by the way. I like them.

I get kind of lost when we get to Leica models past the M5. Is the MP like an M6, which I understand to have a mechanical shutter and built-in meter, also?

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Pretty much like the M6, but with the old fashioned knurled knob for rewinding instead of a crank. I prefer that kind of rewind as there is less to break when compared to the crank.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the explanation and the illustration, Chris. I didn't realize that Leica had ever reintroduced the knurled-knob rewind after the M4.

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Here's a couple from today, XP2 @200 and developed in Diafine. Both Leica MP, Lux 35ASPH and X1 scans.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

MP, Macro-Elmar M 90/Summarit 35, Fuji Superia 400, Unicolor Presskit in the motorised Rondinax, Hasselblad X1 scans:

Poppy Tree by chrism229, on Flickr

Bracket Fungus on Linden by chrism229, on Flickr

Water's Edge by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Chris you keep this up I'm gonna run out of superlatives.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I like the clarity. Thanks for bringing it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444