The Snows of February 2015

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
drmoss_ca
Admin

The Snows of February 2015

Post by drmoss_ca »

I don't think I have ever seen quite so much snow in my thirty years in Nova Scotia.

The front deck is full, which is to say it is at shoulder height:

To get out of the front door:

An artistic, but narrow path off the deck:

This path is so that oil can be delivered (we are burning a hell of a lot!)
http://drmoss.ca/Web%20Images/P2170114-4.jpg

The dearly beloved's cars:

What has been dug/blown so far at the front of the house:

The front of the house:

Up to four feet of snow on the garage roof:

Lots of digging:

Nature's insulation:

Beat a path to my door any time you like!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: The Snows of February 2015

Post by Sam »

Other than roof issues, what dangers would arise with all that snow? Pressure on the windows? Flooding and drainage issues when it melts?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Amazing how we adapt. One of the guys in my coffee group saw some snow flurries early this morning but that's it locally, yet his wife told him they're spending next winter in Florida because she can't stand the idea of another cold winter here.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Reminds me of the Blizzard of 77 --- a real rip-snorter that tore through Western New York and the Niagara Peninsula. It was brutal --- I was in high school at the time, they cancelled everything at school for over a week, including exams, then double-up on things to get us through the term --- it was a fun break, but a brutal make-up period.

Glad you are safe -- some folks aren't as fortunate as you were.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sam wrote:Other than roof issues, what dangers would arise with all that snow? Pressure on the windows? Flooding and drainage issues when it melts?
All of the above. Roof collapse is the biggest worry. I have a roof rake and ladders ready to scrape some of the stuff off. Melting problems would seem like a blessing at the moment.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Araner

Post by Araner »

Simply amazing! I hope you have plenty of provisions on hand; especially a well stocked wine cellar. You may be stuck in the house for a while.

Regards,
Mike
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Unbelievable! Hope all is well and you can maintain.

I agree keep the liquor cabinet, wine cellar, and pantry stocked . . . in that order.

Stay warm!

Chris
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

good luck....i feel guilty about crying like a baby over the 6 inches we had here yesterday!!!!.....i wanna go to FL too hahaha

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Impressive, Chris! I hope everything works out well. Keep warm and safe!
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

It is strange how nature's cycles keep us guessing. Here in Seattle we had what was referred to as "the blizzard of '97". The whole flippin' city practically shut down. It was just the one big storm -- not the multiple blasts hitting eastern north America now, and probably dumped less than two feet of snow, but winters in the northwest are typically mild.

It just caught the city by surprise I guess. Seems like about once every decade or two Seattle gets slammed (or what passes for slammed here) and there simply aren't enough snowplows to do what's necessary. I lived in central Connecticut for a couple of years, and the folks there would laugh at us here in Seattle when all the schools shut down for "snow days".

Anyway, feeling a little guilty just recently because almost the whole west coast of the USA is experiencing record high winter temperatures. Skiers hate it though....
disengage
brothers

Post by brothers »

I really hope you are able to see some relief from these severe conditions soon.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

That's a lot of snow!

Here in eastern Washington State (not at all like the Seattle side) we have normally had hard winters. I moved to this side of the mountains in 1983, and winters through the 1980s typically had heavy snowfall from November into January. It never warmed up enough during the winter to melt the snow, so we never had slush. Snow was piled in parking lots and in berms down the middle of streets, where it remained until it evaporated.

Since then, we rarely get snow in November, but we can get it into March. Temperatures rise and fall, so accumulated snow melts intermittently. Our last great snowfall was in 1997, when I had five-foot drifts on my roof. Since then, we have had less and less snow, and winters are becoming very mild. This winter, we had one little snowfall of possibly an inch, and this week temperatures are hovering around 50F during the day, down into the low 30s and high 20s at night.

The middle and east of this continent appear to be getting even harder winters than before, while the west appears to be warming up.

- Murray