Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell Shaving Moment

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
jww
Woolly Bully

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell Shaving Moment

Post by jww »

Not sure if any of our UK members are watching this, but we have been anticipating this show since it was announced to be in production a year ago. We watch it on BBC iPlayer through a dedicated IP address.

True to the book, there is a scene in episode 2, where house servant Stephen Black shaves the "Gentleman" (aka Raven King) with a straight razor. He wields this enormous brush which he lathers the face of his new/alternate master with.

If you read the book, you'll enjoy the series, I think. If you haven't read the book, you will find it an interesting watch .....
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Re: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell Shaving Moment

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look for it. As you mentioned somewhere here, it's a satire, which interests me. I like to watch (or read) these, if they're going to make me laugh. It sounds as if this one would be enjoyable.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

It's got humor, for sure, but it also has a dark side. The author produced an alternate history story which was trying to bridge a gap between Victorian penny dreadful genre and Dickens/Austen creating a pastiche style novel. I like it, it's a bit quirky, but there are some excellent lines and the imagery is well done. The series is true to the book.
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sounds interesting Wendell.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

It is -- -best line of this week's episode:

"The dream, sir, was mine. I lay down here on purpose to dream it. I’m rather of the opinion that in England, a gentlemen’s dreams are his own private concern. – Jonathan Strange"
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good line, unfortunately I'll have to wait for Netflix or Amazon Prime to get the series.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Good line, unfortunately I'll have to wait for Netflix or Amazon Prime to get the series.
There's always download.

Currently, the BBC iPlayer is on the fritz and not allowing us to view anything ..... not sure what is driving that to be honest, as our ip setup works for everything else. Dratted technology!
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

jww wrote: There's always download.
Say what? I still write with a fountain pen. Perhaps my computer engineering student can do that if I can remember to ask him. I know, I'll write myself a note.
Regards,
Squire