*VIDEO* building copious Lather with Salter Citrius.

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Joel, nice video. Incredible amounts of lather.
ARenaissanceMan

Post by ARenaissanceMan »

How in the hell did you get that so fast. It usually takes me minutes of tinkering with the water level and such to get a good lather. By that time, of course, the lather isn't even warm any more. It must be my brush.

I always thought that that was too much presure to put on a brush's bristles. You seemed to be going at it pretty rough there.
ARenaissanceMan

Im a "follower" of the Joel method. I just can't quite make the lather in that short amount of time. Remember, Im not using as nice a brush as you, which I believe is what is holding me back. I get there, it just takes more time.
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

I'm follower of the "Joel" method as well, and I have been getting profuse lather, however, after watching the video, I did learn something that made it even better. I wasn't whipping the cream fast enough. I whipped it up good and fast this morning and it worked even more incredibly! Joel, these videos are Godsends!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i tried to watch this with my real one player and it says it needs an upgrade but the upgrade is not available

sam
ARenaissanceMan

Try videolan or media player classic for players. If you need codecs check out the kazaa codec pack. LMK if you need links.
PoshRichM

Post by PoshRichM »

Joel, again, great video!

I'm surprised to see that I'm getting good lather in almost the same amount of time as Joel does with my T&H and my low-rent Vulfix 2197. Must be in the "all in the wrist" or something. I did decide off the bat to try mixing pretty quickly, and it worked and didn't destroy the brush, so I figured it was halfway decent technique.

Man, I love this board!

-Rich
AceHarddrive

Post by AceHarddrive »

Uilleann Pipes wrote:It confirmed my suspicions that an inward curving bowl side helps to keep the lather under control. These bowls are also dished slightly in the middle and that helps to keep any overly wet lather running back to the middle of the bowl and hence, to the bristles of the brush.
What kind of bowls would work well for this would you think? Over on Wetshavers, someone mentioned using a French Onion Soup bowl, like this one:

I'd be willing to grab this set (or one like it) and sell the rest to anyone who wants one.

~Tim 8)

The wolf
Is shaved
So neat and trim
Red Riding Hood
Is chasing him
Burma-Shave
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

I use an onion soup bowl. It works well.
Justso

Post by Justso »

Hi guys, I'm new here..Been doing a bunch of reading. Is there anywhere where I can see this video or is long gone and I'm out of luck? I wish I could see it because I always had a problem building a lather & that's one reason why I left wet shaving..But, I'm getting back into it because I can see that it was ME that was in error, not the entire wet shaving idea.

Lots of great reading on here..
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Hey Justso,

Yes the video is long gone.

here are a few other links that may help you.
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2327
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2353
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2557 Just for fun.

Good luck and dont give up. There are plenty of people here to help you out. All you need to do is ask.

Johnnie
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Justso, welcome to the forum. You can find the video here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Maybe the secret lies in the large brush. I also use a Vulfix #41 same as Joel. I am a complete amateur but this brush whipped around a bowl will get the bowl overflowing with lather in 20 seconds or less. A couple good pumps of the brush will get things going even faster.

Now if only I could keep lather out of my ears with this large brush.
Richard