SOTD Oct 23-29 2006

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, Ah, the return of the Sticky....and some serious shave cream this time too ( chuckle ).
Sunday:

Gillette '40s Superspeed & Israeli Personna blade
Plisson #14 White
Truefitt's Rose shave cream
D R Harris's shave stick
D R Harris's A/S Milk ( old formula )
Atkinson's Royal Briar cologne

Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

bernards66 wrote:Richard, Ah, the return of the Sticky....and some serious shave cream this time too ( chuckle ).

Gordon
Gordon, I suppose if there was a poll of the most serious men's toiletries supplier D.R. Harris would be it, although Trumper's is more popular. It is a shame about Harris' hiccups along the way though (most notably the Milk fiasco).

This is the first time using a DE for about 3 weeks or so, and I can't say I'm impressed. That message you posted a while ago and you mentioned it recently when I got back "in praise of fidelity" was a bit of a turning point for me as it got me settled on one razor and pretty much one brush (I do have others, you know!) instead of a rotation of about 10 DE's. I concentrated and honed my technique on the Wilkinson Sword Razor and things were good. Then Andy came along and rocked my boat with the InjectorFeather combo, which has now become my goto razor setup.

Now today, I had a good shave with the Sticky, no nicks, comfortable, etc., but it just didn't feel like it had much 'bite' even with a fresh blade. The Feather AC (with and Injector or SuperPro blade) just mows everything down and because there is no safety bar you get that satisfying feel of the blade chopping down whiskers. The Feather AC also removes much more hair on my neck especially in the tricky areas. The Feather also shaves much, much closer on the cheeks. The DE however, is better for cleaning up the chin area. I could use both, but I'm looking to simplify.

I've also noticed that DE's are much fussier about lubrication because you have more metal contact with the face, not just the blade itself.

Not to mention, using the Feather AC is a much more exhilarating experience.
Richard
Jay1974

Post by Jay1974 »

Richard:
You probably mention it, but, that's a good looking razor... what type is it?
Jay (Toronto)
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

Sunday:

'74 Superspeed
Swedish Gillette
Honeybee Almond
C&E Best Badger brush (Jagger)
Thayers rose witch hazel
Trumpers Coral Skin Food

I'm liking these Swedes.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Jay1974 wrote:Richard:
You probably mention it, but, that's a good looking razor... what type is it?
Jay (Toronto)
It is called The Wilkinson Sword Razor. They are somewhat rare and can be found on ebay from time to time.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard, Well, the biggest thing is to settle into one, whatever it is, and stick with it. You've now discovered from personal experiance, that there's a lot to recommend this. The disposible blade staights are the one type of razor I've not tried ( well, okay, I haven't tried a GEM in around forty years either ). Andy's discovery that the Schick Injector blades were just dandy in the Feather straights made me much more open to trying one at some point. While I loved the look and feel of the traditional straights, I just couldn't get a smooth cut with them, and I wasn't all right with that. So, the Feather/Schick combo might do the trick. But having been a DE shaver for over forty years, I'm in no special hurry.

Yeah, it doesn't get any more traditional, or any higher quality, vis a vis gentlemen's shaving, then D R Harris. I've been told by those who would know, that Harris's is much beloved by a certain sort of Londoner, even more so then Trumpers is, perhaps. Anyway, they make superb products, IMO.
Regards,
Gordon
TomH

Post by TomH »

TomH wrote:Sunday:

-Gillette Adj.FB w. Gillette Blue Extra blade
-SMF II brush
-Charles Tyrwhitt Lemon&Cedar shaving cream
-Swiss Pitralon A/S
-OLIVIA's A/S balm

Thomas
Addition to this shave:
I hate this Adjustable or the blade or both...
A bloody, bloody shave
I've used the blade also in my Merkur's, with a better result...
This Adj. isn't for me, I hate it... and want to throw it in the trash can...

Thomas
dszpiro

Monday

Post by dszpiro »

Proraso pre-shave (in the shower)
Arko Sensitive cream
Rooney Medium Super Style 3
Merkur Slant + Feather (day 2) - first pass*
Gillette New + Derby Extra - second and third passes*
Home made witch hazel / aloe gel / glycerin wipe
Proraso ASB
Old Spice AS

* I have been ready advice for people interested in starting to use a straight razor. A common suggestion to get the hang of shaving with a straight is to start with a one-pass, down strokes only approach and then finish the shave with a DE. Once the shaver's skill and confidence builds, a second pass with the straight can be added. Finally, in this step-wise process, the shaver's technique will have developed sufficiently to have a 100% straight razor shave. I decided to approach the Slant in the same manner: today I used it for the initial N-S pass and finished my shave with the gentle New + Derby combination. The Slant did provide me with an aggressive and efficient first pass! :shock:

Post by wenestvedt »

TomH wrote:This Adj. isn't for me, I hate it... and want to throw it in the trash can...

Thomas
Guten Morgen, Tom. May I send you my address, so I can dispose of that Gillette for you? :7)

- Will