SOTD Nov 13-19

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
TomH

Post by TomH »

A straight shave for Thursday:

The Favorite straight 5/8"
OMEGA pure badger brush
KMF lavender&shea sc
Swiss Pitralon a/s
OLIVIA's a/s balm

Aah, like a baby's butt, smooth for my sweetie (it's her birthday today):thumbup:

Thomas

[img=http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/6706 ... xo9.th.jpg]
Ben

Post by Ben »

Bob wrote:So tell me about the Violetta scent, gents. It's obviously not too feminine, or you wouldn't be wearing it. Is it a straight violet scent, or is something else going on in there? Perhaps I need to check out my wife's Penhaligon's collection. She may well have a scent sample of it.
It's very concentrated, and really just violets going on, but not obviously feminine. Even though the recipe dates back to 1976, I can see a gentleman of the Victorian era wearing such a scent. The Penhaligon's formulation is more intense and way more tenacious than Trumper's Ajaccio Violets. I can wear the same application of Violetta all day. I have the big bottle.

Damn. I should have used some of my GFT Violet shaving cream sample today with this.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

I enjoy flirting with other razors, but when I get in trouble, I come running back to Slim...

--Glenn
yoyology
Captain Yo

Post by yoyology »

Brett G wrote:So let's see; Wool Fat is skin friendly, smells good, is fun to say, and is good for women's nipples. Does anyone need another reason?
Well, if it's not good for my nipples, then to heck with it! :D

SOTN last night:
Equate knockoff of Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash (hereafter known as EKONO-FAW)
Hot rinse
Infusium 23 conditioner sitting on wet face while I lather
Proraso Shave Cream whipped up in a coffee mug set in a large ceramic bowl of hot water, whipped with my no-name boar bristle brush

[an aside: After reading some recent threads, I'd come to realize that I didn't have nearly enough water in my lather, so I barely shook the brush this time. Of course, my lather was insipid. Have to go for a happy medium this evening]

Gillette Fat Boy with Wal-Mart Personna blade - Three passes: 1) N->S from adam's apple up, S->N below, 2) Diagonal: lips to ears, center of throat outward 3) Reverse of #2 on face and upper neck, N->S on lower, concentrating on trouble spots.
Hot rinse, cold rinse, let face drip while cleaning up
Corn Huskers Lotion

I think this was my first really comfortable shave since I started with the DE on the 4th. I can rub my hands all over my face and neck without feeling irritation. It's not BBS, but it feels great, and I'm really enjoying the routine.

Every day, in every way, my face gets cleaner and cleaner!
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Simpson's T4
Biotherm ASB
Floris Sp.127
Richard
Bob

Post by Bob »

Richard and Ben, thanks much for your observations on the Penhaligon's Violetta. I'm going to try some out. I was going to spring for a sample of Trumper's Ajaccio Violet, but given your thoughts, I think I'll steer clear for now.

While I'm soliciting opinions, Andrew, how do you like that Penhaligon's English Fern shave soap? I wasn't aware of its existence until I read your post.
--Bob--
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Bob wrote:Richard and Ben, thanks much for your observations on the Penhaligon's Violetta. I'm going to try some out. I was going to spring for a sample of Trumper's Ajaccio Violet, but given your thoughts, I think I'll steer clear for now.

While I'm soliciting opinions, Andrew, how do you like that Penhaligon's English Fern shave soap? I wasn't aware of its existence until I read your post.
Bob, I really enjoy the Penhaligons soap. It does not seem to be available on their website. It produces nice lather and is slick.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bob, The Penhaligon's shave soaps are very top shelf, as you would expect ( that cake that Andrew has originally came from me; I bought it at Saks in the Short Hills Mall a couple of years back ). They are also very pricey. There is a pretty good probability that they are actually made by Floris, in their own soap works in rural England. The English Fern shave soap is currently out of stock, on their website, although the Blenheim Bouquet soap is available.

About Violetta, go at your own risk. Scent is very personal. Myself, I would never wear it, as it stikes me as quite 'feminine' in a way that Trumpers Violet colonge is not. The Penhaligons is definately more potent and longer lasting, no doubt about that, however. Since the Penhaligons scents are so expensive, I suggest sampling the Violetta to see if you can go there, before investing in an entire bottle.
Regards,
Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Thursday:

Gillette '40s Superspeed & 'Economie' blade ( these are packaged as 'Wilkinsons', made in Britain, and sold in France )
Simpson Tulip #3
T&H Lavender shave cream
D R Harris's shave stick
D R Harris's A/S Milk ( old formula )
Trumper's Spanish Leather

Gordon
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Friday:

Omega brush
Dovo straight razor
De Vergulde Hand soap stick
St-Ives Intensive Relief moisturizer
Brut cologne

Jeff
timc

Post by timc »

Friday \:D/:

Vulfix #2233
T&H West Indian Limes cream
Merkur HD with Derby blade (shave #5)
Nivea Sensitive ASB

A simple no-nonsense shave for Friday. The lime really gets me going in the morning. I think this will be the last shave on the Derby. I think I'm going to try my pushbutton GEM tomorrow.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

TGIF:
- Merkur HD w/Feather blade
- Proraso green cream
- that's it.

No caffeine before my shave and a bad night of sleep were both brushed aside once I set to work and got into the "zone" -- and a good thing, too...
- Will
P.S. Crackstar, what's that picture in your avatar?
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Running late.

Thursday:
Gillette slim
Tabac soap
Rooney 3 medium finest
Tabac A/S

The Rooney is soft & a high loft but nevertheless whips up a storm with the Tabac soap.

Friday:
Coates Rose
Plisson HMW
Merkur HD (forgot how much I like this razor)
Coral
Fumerie Turque (Chris Sheldrake for Serge Lutens)

Now back to the bathroom to spend a couple of hours disposing of the excess lather that Plisson generates if you so much as mutter the word "Coates" in its ear.)
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

Friday,

Rooney 1 Small Super
Moss Scuttle
Speick Cream
Merkur LHC w/ Euro Gillette
Walgreen's A/S Balm

Speick has about as much fragrance as my skin will tolerate. Very good cream for the money.
Brett
yoyology
Captain Yo

Post by yoyology »

Karl's Budget Shave for Thursday night:

Pretty much the same routine as Wednesday:
EKONO-FAW wash
Infusium condition
Proraso lather
FatBoy/Personna shave
CHL post-shave

Differences this time: I used a washcloth repeatedly soaked in hot water to soften my beard beforehand, and I did the whole 3.5-pass shave with short strokes. It really made a difference!
Bob

Post by Bob »

Friday:

Gillette undated Aristocrat / Gillette "Swede"
Taylor's Rose Shave Cream
D.R. Harris Arlington Aftershave Milk

A very nice shave indeed. I wish all of you a great weekend. Enjoy that Beaujolais Nouveau if you picked some up.
--Bob--
reggiano

Post by reggiano »

Friday!

Vulfix 2235
40's Rocket w/Feather
Nancy Boy Cream
Thayer's lavender WH
Nancy Boy AS Gel
Serge Lutens Daim Blond EDP
Limey

Post by Limey »