SOTD Dec 18 - Dec 24

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

SteveK wrote:Michael,

Do you take the ibuprofen before or after shaving with the Furi knife (BTW, how do you like it – as a knife, not a shaving implement)?

FWIW, I’d be careful with the ibuprofen & Absinthe combo; your kidneys may object, no?

Steve
See, you CHEW the ibuprofen while you're shaving with the Füri -- the moving muscles in the face add interest to the absinthe-ridden shave.

And they're my kidneys and they'll do what I tell them. Now if you'll excuse me, I just have to run to the... oops. Too late.

That Füri is a superb knife. I use it for just about everything. I've had it around 5 years and I mostly only use my other knives because I feel sorry for them, languishing in the knife-block. Just ordered another one, slightly smaller (5") and scalloped so tomatoes and other wet stuff don't vacuum-stick to the blade. (And they're Australian, so none of that Zen bulldust you get with the Japanese knives.)
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis

Post by Guest »

Actually, I have the 5” Furi with the Granton “dimples.” I think you’ll love it. I reach for this knife over my fancy Japanese Shun knives most of the time. The steel is somewhat softer than is the current rage, but it’s oh so easy to sharpen, and ergonomically, it’s exceptionally well designed. But I think I will stick to my Gillettes for shaving.

Ibuprofen is incredibly bitter to taste, so your face will be frozen in somewhat of a severe pucker. Perhaps this is a good pose for shaving? (I don’t know how the Absinthe will affect this though).

Steve
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

SteveK, who didn't sign in but now I've blown his cover wrote:Actually, I have the 5” Furi with the Granton “dimples.” I think you’ll love it.
Excellent news. I'm looking forward to it.
Ibuprofen is incredibly bitter to taste, so your face will be frozen in somewhat of a severe pucker.

Steve
It's frozen in one of those anyway. Life, doncherknow 8) 8)

Why are they called "Granton" dimples, do you know? I mean, I didn't even know they were called that but now I do know it, I want to know why. If you see what I mean.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
yoyology
Captain Yo

Post by yoyology »

Bargepole wrote:Why are they called "Granton" dimples, do you know? I mean, I didn't even know they were called that but now I do know it, I want to know why. If you see what I mean.
That's an extremely good question. I thought it would be simple to find an answer, but none of my online sources were helpful. I also tried our big Webster's Unabridged, the OED, and several food and cooking references, and found no entries in any of them! The only thing I can say is it seems to be consistently capitalized, so it's either named for someone or for a place. There are towns called Granton in Scotland, New Zealand, and Wisconsin, if that helps.

Now you've got me really curious as well. Anyone else have a line on this?
Karl G. Siewert
Librarian and yo-yo enthusiast
Tulsa, OK

"Someday I'll find it, the BBS Connection, the razor, the stubble, and me."
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

A question that stumped Karl? :shock: Isn't that one of the Signs of the Apocalypse?!

--Glenn
yoyology
Captain Yo

Post by yoyology »

2clfrwrds wrote:A question that stumped Karl? :shock: Isn't that one of the Signs of the Apocalypse?!

--Glenn
Interestingly, so was my shaving off my goatee.

All of the signs of the Apocalypse are about me. You'd just better hope I never go a week without reading a book....
Karl G. Siewert
Librarian and yo-yo enthusiast
Tulsa, OK

"Someday I'll find it, the BBS Connection, the razor, the stubble, and me."
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Oops! Didn't realize I had signed in as a guest.

I haven't the faintest idea why they're called "Granton dimples," but they are consistently referred to as such by cutlery vendors. Whether they actually prevent sticking by breaking a vacuum, I remain skeptical; regardless, the knife cuts with little effort.

Steve
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Mystery solved: The Granton Knife Co. (UK) patented this edge pattern years ago. Now off patent, it has been copied by other manufacturers.

See http://www.granton-knives.co.uk

Steve