SOTD Apr. 9 - Apr. 15

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
xmemnochx

Post by xmemnochx »

Aristocrat + Feather
Rooney + Taylor Sandlewood
Proraso ASB
Taylor Eaton College
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Friday

'53 SS
Derby Extra
Omega Badger
The Body Shop Shaving Cream
Nivea A/S Balm
Aqua Velva Musk A/S

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

Gillette '58 TV SS w/Gillette swede
Chubby #2
Taylors Rose cream (old formula)
Baxter's aftershave balm
rosehip seed oil
Trumper's Spanish Leather cologne
Rich

Do not give up before the miracle happens.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Friday:

Gillette HD Rocket & English Wilkinson blade
Kent BK4
Coate's Lavender shave cream
D R Harris's Pink A/S
Trumpers Spanish Leather

The BK4 does very well with soft creams; as I expected that it would. No surprise there.
Gordon
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

bernards66 wrote:Friday:

Kent BK4
D R Harris's Pink A/S
Trumpers Spanish Leather

The BK4 does very well with soft creams; as I expected that it would. No surprise there.
Gordon
Sounds like the perfect brush, doesn't it?
Richard
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

rustyblade wrote:

Kent BK4
D R Harris's Pink A/S
Trumpers Spanish Leather

Gordon
Uh, no. That would be the BK8. Bigger is better. Every man should know that 8)
Brett
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Uh, no. That would be the Shavemac 177 :lol:

merkur / merkur
shavemac 177
tabac

fusion
rooney 2 small
trumpers sandalwood

Clive

:D
de gustibus non est disputandum
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

Vesa
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Brett G wrote:
rustyblade wrote:

Kent BK4
D R Harris's Pink A/S
Trumpers Spanish Leather

Gordon
Uh, no. That would be the BK8. Bigger is better. Every man should know that 8)
There is always the BK12.
Richard
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Feather JP-AC
Kent BK4
Trumper Coconut Soap
Proraso Dopobarba

Floris Santal

So I'm pretty pissed off. Trumper Coconut irritated my skin...so that makes three Trumper soaps that are a no-go. Coconut, Limes, and Sandalwood (I haven't tried Violet, but I don't hold out any hope). Rose, Almond, and Oxford Blue are the only ones that don't. I honestly expected Coconut to be ok, the scent is more subdued than Sandalwood and Limes.

I'll try them both one more time before they hit the market, but I'm going to have to do a few days of healing Wool Fat shaves first.
Richard
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

rustyblade wrote:Feather JP-AC
Kent BK4
Trumper Coconut Soap
Proraso Dopobarba

Floris Santal

So I'm pretty pissed off. Trumper Coconut irritated my skin...so that makes three Trumper soaps that are a no-go. Coconut, Limes, and Sandalwood (I haven't tried Violet, but I don't hold out any hope). Rose, Almond, and Oxford Blue are the only ones that don't. I honestly expected Coconut to be ok, the scent is more subdued than Sandalwood and Limes.

I'll try them both one more time before they hit the market, but I'm going to have to do a few days of healing Wool Fat shaves first.
Send them down the street Richard, I love the Sandalwood and Limes. :wink: :lol: I haven't tried the Coconut or the Oxford Blue, so I can't say if I like them or not.
I've been liking the Harris stuff more and more lately, it's underrated IMO.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Nitrox wrote:
Send them down the street Richard, I love the Sandalwood and Limes. :wink: :lol: I haven't tried the Coconut or the Oxford Blue, so I can't say if I like them or not.
I've been liking the Harris stuff more and more lately, it's underrated IMO.
I've already sold the Sandalwood... Coconut smells really nice, much better than the cream. Limes gets up my nose a bit...just like the Almond does. Rose is far and away the nicest scent.

Harris soaps are fantastic, I think most people never get around to trying them. Too busy fiddling with those inferior creams, I reckon.
Richard
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bruno, Well, the shaving preparations from D R Harris's are entirely top shelf, there is nothing better, and few that are as good. I don't know as they are "underrated", per se. Seems like everyone who does use Harris's products speaks highly of them, it's just that not that many members use their stuff, or have tried it.
Regards,
Gordon
Goosemeplease

Post by Goosemeplease »

Jim
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jim, Now THAT'S a nice brush. Which size is it, a #12?
Gordon
Goosemeplease

Post by Goosemeplease »

bernards66 wrote:Jim, Now THAT'S a nice brush. Which size is it, a #12?
Gordon
Gordan ,
Thanks for the kind words about the brush, I "think" its a size 10.

I was walking down the street and the brush grabbed me as I walked by.

The box and hangtag had no model or size info. The saleshelp were clueless.

The knot is about 820/1000 and the hight is 3.750

Its a pleasure to use. Shave #2 today,Happy Happy
Jim
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jim, Clyde's, I presume? Very aggressive brushes in that store; jump right at you, they do. It looks to me like a #12, but I know that photos can be misleading. Anyway, it's a beauty. That's one of the VERY few brushes I still have a hankering to get; one just like that. Also, it looks like the Plisson soap is now coming in containers that are of the type that Joris soap was always packed in. Does it say where it's made?
Regards,
Gordon
Goosemeplease

Post by Goosemeplease »

bernards66 wrote:Jim, Clyde's, I presume? Very aggressive brushes in that store; jump right at you, they do. It looks to me like a #12, but I know that photos can be misleading. Anyway, it's a beauty. That's one of the VERY few brushes I still have a hankering to get; one just like that. Also, it looks like the Plisson soap is now coming in containers that are of the type that Joris soap was always packed in. Does it say where it's made?
Regards,
Gordon
Yes indeed, reached right out for me! The saleslady Elizabeth was very helpful- albeit not very knowledgeable.

The Plisson soap does come in the "tuna can" like the Joris and is made in England as is the Joris. The Joris has a cream color vs the pure white of the Plisson soap.The Joris has a soapy scent the Plisson was absolutely scent free.
Strangely enough the flat cardboard refill of the Plisson was 22.00 and the Tuna can was 18.50! both are 100g or 3.5 oz.
The Joris has no list of ingredients at all- the Plisson is shown below.

And this one is for Dr. Peter
Jim
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jim, Presumably, the same basic soap. The Joris that I've used was bought at Clyde's a couple/few years back. I was wondering about the "made in England', that's why I asked. The old Plisson soap was made in France, if memory serves. I might have to try that stuff, because the Joris was most excellent shave soap, but I couldn't get with the scent at all. Same basic soap, minus that scent, might work for me. Thanks for the info.
Regards,
Gordon
Goosemeplease

Post by Goosemeplease »

bernards66 wrote:Jim, Presumably, the same basic soap. The Joris that I've used was bought at Clyde's a couple/few years back. I was wondering about the "made in England', that's why I asked. The old Plisson soap was made in France, if memory serves. I might have to try that stuff, because the Joris was most excellent shave soap, but I couldn't get with the scent at all. Same basic soap, minus that scent, might work for me. Thanks for the info.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,
Just a caveat- the puck of Plisson has a perfumed scent to it that does not make it to the lather- its completely scent free.

The Joris soap smells like many of the other French soaps, Um.. soapy. The lather has some minor soapy scent as well. I have used both a couple times, which may not be enough, but I believe they are somewhat different.
Hope this is helpful.
Jim