SOTD May 28 - June 3

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
ksteryous

Post by ksteryous »

Sunday:

Simpson D3 Best
EJ Razor w/ Swedish Gillette
Coates Sandlewood Cream
DR Harris Pink A/S
Pecksniff's Fougere

Kenton
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Sunday
Merkur HD
Derby Day 2
KENT BK4
Geo. F. Trumper Coconut SC
Castle Forbes Lime Balm
4 Pass Sunday Shave
Mike
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Sunday:

Razor: Schick Injector Type "N"
Blade: Schick
Brush: Simpson CH3 Best
Cream: Godrej Regular
A/S: Lumene

Mike
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

Sunday:

I just had my first real shave! I took a short, but satisfying, shower and set to work! I used my Vulfix 2235, which smelt a little gamy, but bot too horribly. I did go with Michael's advice and used my Mama Bear's Tuscan Memories and it did lather fairly well, but oh that scent! The lather wasn't what I expected and I suspect that had a lot to do with my technique. I used my '52 SS with a Merkur blade. The shave was not the closes that I have ever had, a few rough spots but no cuts or irritation thankfully, but it was fairly standard and close enough to be presentable. I found it quite hard to let the razor do the shaving and unlearn all of the bad habits that I had picked up with my Mach whatever. I did feel some pulling but not nearly as much as with my old multi blade, especially around the Adam's apple and jawline. All in all I am hooked! :D The shave was almost, barely worse, as good as I am used to and that is merely due to my inexperience! I really can't wait until I get the hang of this way of shaving. I will, of course, keep all of you updated on my progress!!

Warmest regards, Niksa

p.s. Apologies if this post is a little long bu I am just so excited! :D
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Niksa -

Congratulations on a good start! Your first shave went a lot better than many.

The brush will take a little breaking in. I usually whip up a couple batches of lather for this purpose, before the first shave with the brush. You could practice lather-making with the brush, even if you aren't actually shaving. This would give you more opportunity to work on building lather and it would help to condition your brush.

Your skills will build gradually, but you'll get there. Learning itself will be rewarding, and ultimately the quality of your shaves will be, too! :D

- Murray
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Niksa, congratulations, and welcome to the great shave. I really like your avatar; you had better expect your sweetie to be even more all over you from now on, because you're so smooth and you smell so good. I hope that won't be a problem :lol:

--Glenn
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

And congratulations to Murray on post #500! You have made yourself such a presence here on SMF, it feels like you've been here since the start. Thanks for helping to make this forum such a great place.

--Glenn
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks, Glenn. Those are kind words, indeed!

Sunday Night:

'47 Gillette Aristocrat (my first shave with this implement of ill repute!)
Dorco blade (4th shave; 3 previous in a Red Tip SS)
Savile Row 3122 brush (22mm knot; continental style/bulb-shape; silvertip)
Tryphon Medici shaving soap

I just got an amazing shave with the much-maligned '47 Aristocrat! I used the razor-taming Dorco blade, whose width more closely matches the old Gillette blue blades, and I used Tryphon Medici soap, which I have found to be even more protective than T&H Luxury and Mitchell's Wool Fat.

This razor is certainly more aggressive than my thick-handled Tech, which is my standard, and I got a tiny weeper right over the sharpest bump of my Adam's apple. I would say that it is less aggressive than the Red Tip SS, however. All in all, I got a very good, close shave. What a way to mark my 500th post! :D :D :D

- Murray
custom410

Post by custom410 »

Congratulations Niksa! Welcome to the wet shaving world. It sounds like your first shave went well. Similar to mine a while back.

A little word of advice, and not meant as discouragement but as a reference from my experience: I think as a result of my successful first few shaves, approximately my second week os DE shaving was not great. I think I got more comfortable with the process, the razor, everything, and may have went a lax on attention to technique - like the cartridge days!!

Please always remember your new technique, and keep with it. I had a bad second week, but learned from it, stayed with it and after that all was good.

Again, good job!!
Cheers,
Rob
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

Thanks gentlemen! I am defiantly trying not to let this go to my head :wink: ! The shave was a little rougher than I first thought, a bit more stubble left over than I had seen originally but no irritation and I think that I am hooked! The razor was way milder on my face than my previous multi blade and I have no razor burn despite my lack of skill! I am hooked! :D

Warmest regards, Niksa

edit: Glen I definitely wouldn't mind my fiancee being more all over me than usual. Just another bonus for learning to really shave! :D :wink:
fritz

Post by fritz »

Do you have the blade sampler pack? I would think a Dorco or something would be a better choice than a Merkur blade, especially while refining your technique. Some people can use a Merkur and be happy with it, but I think many of us would say it's not very sharp, not very smooth either.

Welcome and congrats! Just remember, a good shave is any one you can walk away from, without leaving a trail.... :lol:
Der Fritzer
"There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays, and every single one of them is right!" R. Kipling
My Working Stuff
NiksaNovovic

Post by NiksaNovovic »

Thanks fritz! I do indeed have the sampler pack and am working through it as Michael (Leisureguy) suggested. And I think that a good shave is one you can walk away from without leaving a trail :D !

Warmest regards, Niksa