1st shave with new R41

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
if6was9

1st shave with new R41

Post by if6was9 »

Greetings! Yesterday I received a new Muhle R41; its only my third razor since starting to wet shave a few months ago and it’s my first OC razor.

My first shave with the R41 was….interesting! It was a little unnerving but not unsatisfying; it certainly felt different than my R89. The R41 provided a close shave but I had to concentrate that every stroke was deliberate and intentional. No autopilot with this razor!

I used a new Derby blade and switched the R41’s regular handle to the R89’s Grande handle. The R41 head seemed lighter than the R89 and along with the lighter handle, it didn’t feel right to me.

I used I Coloniali shaving cream with mango oil, mixed in a few drops of glycerin and added a small dollop of AOS shaving cream. The I Coloniali is sold as a cream but it’s hard, more like a soap (it has a great smell, btw). The lather was rich, creamy and warm (due to the GP scuttle). I used and a Plisson brush and my own version of AOS pre shave oil as part of the face prep.

The second I put the blade to my cheek I knew that I was going to have to be careful. I noticed the difference in closeness after the first pass. The only area that I had difficulty with was the underside of my neck, the area below the chin and down just past the Adam’s Apple. The skin is so thin and soft in this area that I had to tread very lightly, barely touch the blade to it for fear that I’d cut the skin. I did get a slight scratch (no blood) just above the Apple.

The R41 provided a close shave on every part of my face, even the areas that I usually have difficulty getting baby smooth. The razor was so effective that I felt I could have stopped after the second pass. But my third pass is usually performed differently than the first two.

For my third pass I use a translucent cream like Jack Black’s Beard Lube or I Coloniali Delicate Shaving Cream. I used the Jack Black for this shave. I also switch to a lighter razor for the third pass. With this method I can see the skin in the areas that I’m shaving and I can go over the problem areas while applying a little more pressure and using more frequent strokes.

I had been using the very light Merkur 45 Bakelite for my third pass but with the lighter handle affixed to the R89, it was more than suitable.

The bottom line is I liked the R41. When I first started wet shaving, it took about a month for my face to become accustomed to it. I think it will take a few shaves for my face to get acclimated to the R41.
Muhle R89 & R41; Merkur 45; Goodfella black; Weber SS; Plisson brush. Rotation- I Coloniali: in Terracotta Bowl, w/Rhubarb, Delicate Cream; AOS: Unscented Soap, Lemon Cream, Lemon PSO; C.O. Bigelow Cream; Col. Conk's
brothers

Re: 1st shave with new R41

Post by brothers »

Nice writeup! I appreciate the detail about how the razor feels for the first time use. I think over time you'll probably reduce the number of razors and creams used per shave, but as of right now, it it's working for you, that's what matters. I see you've been a member for a while, and I want to say thanks for the detailed review.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Re: 1st shave with new R41

Post by brothers »

4 year follow-up. Are you still using the R41 on occasion? If so, what is your current opinion on the pros and cons?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444