Shaving soap or cream of the day

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
brothers

Re: Shaving soap or cream of the day

Post by brothers »

Now that the AOS lineup has completed the rotation for this year, I'm now working on the homemade Lime (no tallow) soap from my original 2013 soap-making adventure. It'll be mid-February before I make the next change.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

"Blue Monday" superlather blend, Wilkinson Sword and Nivea.

"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Tonight - Fendrihan "Aloe Water" cream.
It just arrived today, with these other soaps:
Fendrihan soap order unboxing - Jan. 27, 2020
Fendrihan soap order unboxing - Jan. 27, 2020
fendrihan order jan 2020 IMG_0525.JPG (42.28 KiB) Viewed 10086 times
Fendrihan "Aloe Water"
Fendrihan "Charcoal" - looks and smells odd, but good stuff.
TOBS Mr Taylors - last tub is almost empty.
Mitchell's Wool Fat Luxury Shaving Soap Refill - wanted to see what all the fuss was about. As near as I can make out, one of my Old Spice mugs should be a good fit.
Free samples:
Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera Premium Shaving Cream and Aftershave Combo (10 ml)
Edwin Jagger Limes & Pomegranate Premium Shaving Cream and Aftershave Combo (10 ml)
Geo F. Trumper Eucris Eau de Toilette (1 ml)

The Fendrihan creams are said to be "Made in England", and it would not surprise me if they are made by TOBS. Their "Sandalwood" cream in this line smells and feels exactly like TOBS' Sandalwood.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Jan 28 - Mitchell's Wool Fat Luxury Shaving Soap
First time using this stuff.
My goodness, it is an excellent soap.
I let it bloom in hot water during my prep shower for this first use, and I had no problem producing lots of creamy lather, with a Stirling 2-Band synthetic.
And . . . how handy that it fit snugly in my spare Old Spice mug.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Tonight I used the Fendrihan Charcoal cream.
Fendrihan "Charcoal" Shaving Cream
Fendrihan "Charcoal" Shaving Cream
Fendrihan Charcoal scaled_0529.JPG (107.98 KiB) Viewed 10077 times
:shock: Looks (and smells) strange, but works about like most TOBS creams.
"A dynamic fragrance that combines cedarwood, sandalwood, musk and vanilla." - If they say so, I guess.
As I mentioned elsewhere, it contains no actual charcoal.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today I ended my 43 day run with Homemade soap, and switched over to Alpine Frost tallow soap from Strop Shoppe for the next few weeks. Unfortunately SS quit business in 2016.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday's Alpine Frost by the Strop Shoppe has been all used up. Today's Solsetio soap, also from Strop Shoppe, is the current daily go-to until it's all used up or March 23rd whichever comes first. Tallow and lanolin. The Alpine Frost lasted 48 shaves from start to finish.
Gary

John Rose

Post by John Rose »

That Fendrihan "Aloe Water" - it's well on its way to becoming my favourite cream.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today was the final day for the Strop Shoppe Solsetio tallow soap, and tomorrow will begin another round of Penhaligon's tallow English Fern soap for the next 40 days.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Today was the final (60th) shave provided by the now empty Castle Forbes tub. No worries, I'm starting on a brand new Cedarwood Sandalwood tub tomorrow morning.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I've been using the Fine Snake Bite soap (stick) this week as scheduled. Great lather and the menthol is strong.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

As of today, and for the next few days, I'll be using the Musgo Real shaving soap.
Last edited by brothers on Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Today, and for the next 6 weeks hopefully, I'm back to the Asylum Vetiver Bourbon soap from BullGoose. The lather it makes with the Thater silvertip is superior in performance to the two un-mentioned triple milled hard soaps I discarded yesterday, both non-vetiver. (One from somewhere in western Europe and the other has been out of production for at least 10 years and probably more. They were just OK. Didn't match up with my expectations.)
Gary

John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Italian Barber's "Amici". New for me, and I quite like it.

Sort of a croap, I guess. It lathers easily, and was slick enough. The scent is vaguely pleasant, but faint. Even the matching AS splash faded soon.
brothers

Post by brothers »

My current shaving soap is Fine's Fresh Vetiver. This one and the Fine sibling - Green Vetiver - are outstanding tallow soaps.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Today marked the end of a pleasant couple of weeks run for the great Fine Fresh Vetiver tallow shaving soap. It goes to the end of the rotation, but a year from now it'll be back.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The Tabac stick tapped out at 110 shaves this morning. This is the most shaves I've ever recorded on any individual soap or cream. MdC lasted 100 and the giant tub of XPEC lasted 101.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

This morning's soap, and hopefully for the next 6 weeks, It was my pleasure to return to Mike's Lime soap. Quick to lather and slick. Great product.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The Mike's Lime soap ran out today. 53 total shaves from my last remaining puck of Mike's.
Gary

brothers

Re: Homemade Cedarwood soap

Post by brothers »

After Mike's ran out I decided to begin a two week return to the homemade cedarwood soap stick before I start the scheduled AOS line on November 22nd for the remainder of the year. This aging homemade soap seems to be even a bit better now than when it was made, if my memory isn't playing tricks on me. Coming off Tabac and Mike's soaps, that's saying a lot. No tallow, just a few ingredients. The scent of cedarwood essential oil still showing vitality after almost 7 years. The good news is that I have 5 sticks/tubs on hand. My finest badger brush handles it with authority. Good stuff.
Gary