SOTD: Every day shaving gear, or constant changes

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
brothers

SOTD: Every day shaving gear, or constant changes

Post by brothers »

I'm just wondering whether those of us who regularly stop by and/or participate in the SOTD posting community change their products frequently, or have identified what works best and seldom/never change some or all of the daily array. In my case, blades and soap/cream are the only elements that will change from time to time.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Re: SOTD: Every day shaving gear, or constant changes

Post by pausted »

For me, shaving has changed from a chore to a pleasant hobby. I look forward to my daily shave. I usually use one soap or cream for relatively long periods of time, perhaps till I use it up. The same goes for after shaves. I have found a number of razor/blade combinations that give me excellent shaves so I tend to change combos fairly frequently. I enjoy the variety.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

For the past several months, almost a whole year, I've been using the same brush/razor/aftershave every day. The soap/cream only changes when one runs out and a new one steps in. The blades are limited to two brands in a very slow rotation. The current soap will be replaced later this week when it runs out. I am thinking now would be an appropriate time for me to change the brush/razor (same brand of course, just swapping an aluminum head for a brass head)/blade (the other brand)/razor handle/and the soap. The aftershave will never change. The only undetermined element in the above list is the brush I will use.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Modern Ancient

Post by Modern Ancient »

Both! I tend to shave twice, on most days. In the morning, I like the routine to be constant, the same every time. In the evening, however, I like to try new aftershaves, shaving creams, etc. I use the same razor, morning, and, night. Also, I have stopped switching blades. I use Rapira Swedish Supersteel, in the mornings, and, Derby Extra, in the evenings. I might switch to Rapira, in the evenings, too, but, I just got a package of 100 razor blades, for the Derby.
brothers

Post by brothers »

After using the brass General for the past two days in combination with the Kai Captain blade, I am detecting a small difference in how the razor feels as it moves across the whiskers, and also in a small degradation in closeness of the shave. Maybe it's my imagination or something. I'm going to keep using the brass General for a week or two so I can make sure.
Gary