SOTD December 17 - December 23

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
jgreenepa

SOTD December 17 - December 23

Post by jgreenepa »

Please post your SOTD reports
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
jgreenepa

Re: SOTD December 17 - December 23

Post by jgreenepa »

9691CA06-AE99-443F-9C3A-A2D7D29F7954.jpeg
9691CA06-AE99-443F-9C3A-A2D7D29F7954.jpeg (330.77 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
SOTD 13/17/19

Vintage shave number 17 of Decadent December was decent, but only because of the soap, brush and AS all of which elevated the shave experience despite a very mediocre three and a half pass dome and face scraping performance by the Gillette Thick handled Tech. The Star DE that I shaved with two days ago was a much more efficient tool. American Safety Razor Corp, it’s designer and manufacturer just didn’t have the marketing muscle to compete with the Gillette behemoth. I found the Tech to be a very mild, inefficient shaver, necessitating broad scale buffing to clean up its ineffectiveness after completing my normal three pass shave. In any case the shave soap and Viking Silvertip Badger generated a thick, protective, luxurious lather. The result left me feeling clean and refreshed, but nowhere near as smooth as I like.

RAZOR: Gillette Thick Handle Gold Tech
BLADE: Suneko
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub of face and dome with PAAs Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Talbot Marlogue Wood
POSTSHAVE: Cold water rinse followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Marlogue Wood AS Splash
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

38EB52EA-4B4C-4A75-B021-C9D94489A185.jpeg
38EB52EA-4B4C-4A75-B021-C9D94489A185.jpeg (678.87 KiB) Viewed 3469 times
SOTD 12/18/19

The 18th of Decadent December started off with a dynamite shave with my LeCoq Cage Head razor. The razor delivered a mid-aggressive, highly efficient face and dome shave. I was a bit concerned that the smooth handle would be slippery during the shave process, but had no problems. The Viking brush whipped the Wholly Kaw King of Oud into a wonderfully scented yogurt-like, shiny, thick consistency. The razor sliced through my whiskers and delivered a two and a half pass BBS. Washing my face with the brush squeezings left my skin feeling soft. An alum block check revealed no hot spots. I feel clean, extremely smooth and refreshed.

RAZOR: LeCoq Cage Head
BLADE: Suneko
PREP: Cold water rinse of face and dome followed by a scrub with PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
SOAP: Wholly Kaw King of Oud
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Fine Snake Bite
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

SOTD Dec 17:
Nothing.
I skipped a day.
:oops:
There. I said it.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Dec 18 SOTN

razor - QShave Adjustable (Futur clone) set to 3/6
blade - Astra SP (3)
soap - TOBS Mr Taylors
brush - Simpson Wee Scot
post - warm water rinse, "Pure & Natural" Alum stick, cold water rinse
AS - Stetson Original
music - streaming Gem Radio New Wave

It sure was noisy, using the QShave razor on a two-day growth.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

4D5E70E4-1AD5-4AF5-B975-0B1B0B4C325C.jpeg
4D5E70E4-1AD5-4AF5-B975-0B1B0B4C325C.jpeg (323.47 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
SOTD 12/19/19

I have been longing, since my kickoff shave on the first day of Decadent December with my Bakelite Shake Sharp Model 1.5, my favorite razor, to shave again with it, but am constrained by my vow to use a different vintage razor each day. However, my gold tone GE Jones Shake Sharp Model 2.0 is technically a different razor, although the same design. All I can say is wow, another fantastic Shake Sharp shave. I again stacked two Feather blades and had a first class, smooooth BBS of both face and noggin. The Marlogue Wood soap is one that many have raved about. I love the scent - balsam and fir - but am not wild about the soap. It seemed to dry out my skin. I did not experience the residual slickness of my favorite MWF or any of the Declaration Grooming milksteak-based soaps remaining after a shaving stroke clears away the surface lather. I’ll give it one more chance, but it currently doesn’t compare to my favorites. The AS Splash is a different story. My wife, who’s fragrance intolerant, has always remarked how she enjoys the smell of our Christmas tree each year. I tried the Marlogue Wood Splash, and to my utter surprise, she liked it. Guess I’ll be smelling like a Frasier Fir for the indefinite future.

RAZOR: GE Jones Shake Sharp Model 2.0
BLADE: 2 Stacked Feathers
PREP: Cold water rinse of face and noggin followed by a scrub with PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
SOAP: Talbot Marlogue Wood
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Marlogue Wood AS Splash
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Brush: Duke 3 Best
Soap: QED Sandalwood
Razor: '54 Z2 Super Speed
Blade: Super-Max Platinum
A/S: Family Dollar Spice Scent
Cologne / Fragrance: Old Spice (Current Formulation)

Wednesday

Brush: None
Cream: Ingram
Blade: Lord Super Stainless
A/S: Stetson Cooling Moisture
Cologne / Fragrance: Joop

Thursday

Brush: Rooney Stubby 1
Cream: Arko Commando
A/S: Stetson Cooling Moisture
Cologne / Fragrance: Aspen

Friday

A/S: Barbasol Brisk
Cologne / Fragrance: Quorum

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

B19C0D2B-BACE-4BC9-991C-C44C614C73C0.jpeg
B19C0D2B-BACE-4BC9-991C-C44C614C73C0.jpeg (405.02 KiB) Viewed 3442 times
SOTD 12/20/19

A beautiful Featherweight, Fat Friday on this 20th day of Decadent December resulted in a decent DFS of both dome and face. I really enjoy Gem razors, and of my Gems, I can always count on my Featherweight and my favorite Mitchell’s Wool Fat soap to provide a luxurious, thick protective lather that does away with the need for any preshave soap, and delivers a solid, comfortable shave. I feel smooth, clean and refreshed.

RAZOR: Gem Featherweight
BLADE: Pella SS PTFE
PREP: Cold Water rinse of dome and face
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with PAA’s Mysterium Serum
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Saturday

A/S: Aqua Velva Musk
Cologne / Fragrance: Quorum

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

41322C59-1C4E-41AB-A313-20D71AC4556C.jpeg
41322C59-1C4E-41AB-A313-20D71AC4556C.jpeg (67.19 KiB) Viewed 3416 times
SOTD 12/21/19

Good straightforward shave on this 21st day of Decadent December with my brass Gem Model 1912. Decent face and dome DFS with a good shaving cream, Palmolive.

RAZOR: Gem 1912
BLADE: Pella PTFE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Synthetic
CREAM: Palmolive Green
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with L’Occitane Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

8849E4FD-E618-449F-9C63-990CC13CDE95.jpeg
8849E4FD-E618-449F-9C63-990CC13CDE95.jpeg (832.92 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
SOTD 12/22/19

Incredibly great shave on this 22nd day of Decadent December. Up early to prepare for the arrival of our Christmas/New Year’s guests. The MMOC really plowed through the whiskers on my favorite MWF lather. I would shave every day with this soap, but still need to work through my other soaps none of which in my estimation can hold a candle to the Fat, and that includes the two pucks of that fancy French MDC stuff the bride bought me for Christmas. In any case, beautiful, smoooth BBS of both noggin and face. I feel clean and refreshed!

RAZOR: Gem Micromatic OC
BLADE: Pella SS PTFE
PREP: Cold water rinse of face and dome followed by PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with PAA’s Unscented Cooling Mysterium Serum
pausted

Post by pausted »

Proraso White cream
SilkSmoke synthetic brush
Colonial General razor
Kai Captain Original blade
St. John's West Indian Lime aftershave

I started using this Kai blade on Thanksgiving day. It is still providing a great two pass shave. Amazing performance! I plan to use it until New Years day and then change to a new one.

I'm about to finish this 8oz. bottle of aftershave. I bought it at the St. John's store in St. Thomas when we visited there in 2011. Wow! Time flies.
Best regards,

Basil
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

0B07F71B-3713-4FFD-8877-B918FDA1CE6C.jpeg
0B07F71B-3713-4FFD-8877-B918FDA1CE6C.jpeg (378.69 KiB) Viewed 3386 times
SOTD 12/23/19

Decent, first mild shave this morning with a Schick Type C2. What I really love, and never considered until becoming active on the shaving boards, is the sheer variety of safety razor tools designed for face and noggin scraping. The mildness of this particular razor required three and a half passes for what turned out to be an acceptable DFS. My shaving surfaces were well protected by the PAA Cube coupled with my trusty MWF. I feel clean and refreshed!

RAZOR: Schick Injector Type C2
BLADE: Personna Vintage Blade
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Charcoal-Menthol Cube Preshave Soap
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash of face and dome with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Fine Snake Bite AS Splash