SOTD January 20 -January 26, 2020

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
Mike R

SOTD January 20 -January 26, 2020

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Rooney Stubby 1
Cream: Taylor - Sandalwood
Razor: '54 Z2 Super Speed
Blade: Feather
A/S: Gillette Aftershave Lotion, Sensitive Skin
Cologne / Fragrance: Lagerfeld Classic

Mike
Last edited by Mike R on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jgreenepa

Re: SOTD January 20 -January 26, 2020

Post by jgreenepa »

F0BC50C1-8CCC-4012-9B87-ADF08FE1A52C.jpeg
F0BC50C1-8CCC-4012-9B87-ADF08FE1A52C.jpeg (471.82 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
SOTD 01/20/20

Good morning to all on this bright and sunny Martin Luther King day here in Philadelphia. At this point I cry uncle and concede. Off to RE for a checkup! There’s something off with my Rex. The same issues cropped up at setting 3 and setting 1. First, it didn’t shave well, and continues to drag, so rather than plow ahead with the kind of facial and dome damage experienced yesterday, I set it aside and finished with my Gibbs on setting 6, which delivered the kind of delightful shave I enjoy in the mornings. The beauty of the Gibbs design is that even at the widest blade gap, only the efficiency increases, not the aggression. My well-loved MWF did its usual fine job of providing the glistening, yogurty cushion I prefer for my shaves. Just a shoutout to Jim Roe(@Jayaruh) of Jayaruh Custom Brushes. His long rosewood handled Silvertip Badger has worked beautifully for me! I find myself reaching for it more and more frequently. I own 4 of his brushes, and everyone delivers the goods! So what started off on a low note finished on a high one. SWMBO is traveling, so I broke out the Chatillon Lux AS to top off a great shave! Two pass near BBS on the face and dome - I had to precede a bit cautiously around the damaged areas from yesterday, I feel clean, smooth and refreshed! I hope everyone enjoys their day! I know I will!

RAZOR: Gibbs #17 (6)
BLADE: Feather
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Cube Preshave Soap
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Chatillon Lux AS
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Cream: Trumper Coconut
Blade: Super-Max Platinum
A/S: Stetson Cooling Moisture
Cologne / Fragrance: Lagerfeld Classic

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

A077FCCE-8FD0-4FFD-BF65-82B6EF594ECF.jpeg
A077FCCE-8FD0-4FFD-BF65-82B6EF594ECF.jpeg (580.39 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
SOTD 01/21/20

Welcome to TABAC Tuesday fellow face and dome scrapers. I’m still recovering from my bout with my problematic Rex Ambassador. Matt Pisarcik is on the case though, and I have every expectation that things will resolve positively. Things on the dome remain a bit tender, but thankfully, my Gibbs Adjustable delivered the goods in its usual comfortable, easy-going fashion. Joseph’s (@Primotenore) Tabac lather recipe delivered a beautiful, thick, yogurty covering that elevated what could have been a cautious, tentative shave to a thorough-going shaving win. PAA’s Preshave Cube combined beautifully with that first lather application to allow my feather-loaded Gibbs to just sweep away my whiskers while enjoying that delightful Tabac scent. It literally felt like there was no blade in the razor. The next pass left me with a comfortable DFS on the dome, despite a very tender surface, and an actual BBS on the face. Fortunately, SWMBO, with her fragrance allergy, is still away until tomorrow, allowing me to use Tabac, which she detests along with my Chatillon Lux AS. I finished feeling clean, smooooth, and refreshed! I hope everyone has a great day.

RAZOR: Gibbs #17 Adjustable
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Preshave Cube
BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
SOAP: Tabac Original
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Chatillon Lux AS Splash.
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Tuesday SOTN

razor - British Aristocrat Junior
blade - Astra SP (6)
soap - B+M Seville
brush - Simpson Special 1 Best Badger
post - warm water rinse, "Pure & Natural" Alum stick, cold water rinse
AS - Old Spice Classic

Finished off two tubs of soap in the past week, and the TOBS Mr Taylors is almost gone.
Time to go shopping!
Thinking of getting one of the Parker shavettes too. Can't decide between SRX and SR1.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Blade: Super-Max Platinum
A/S: Clubman
Cologne / Fragrance: Quorum

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

26E87C9F-092E-41BD-BF0C-6D43F5D3F7BD.jpeg
26E87C9F-092E-41BD-BF0C-6D43F5D3F7BD.jpeg (491.46 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
SOTD 01/22/20

SWMBO returns this afternoon, so I get to indulge my scent deprivation syndrome ((SDS) for one last day. After a series of great shaves with my Gibbs Adjustable, I decided to spend the next few days shaving with one of my favorites, the LaResche 77. Although the razor appears intimidating, it’s actually one of the smoothest shavers in my Den. Armed with a Suneko blade, it swept right through my whiskers cushioned by a Soap Commander ‘Honor’ lather enhanced by PAA’s Preshave Cube. Two passes on the face for a near BBS and one and a half on the still tender noggin, recovering from its savaging by my defective Rex two days ago, and I happily settled for a very easy DFS.

After sending Matt Pisarcik numerous detailed photos, he’s asked that I send the Rex in for repair/servicing. So all is well on that front.

I really enjoyed the ‘Honor’ soap and Ogallala Bay Rum/Sandalwood AS, which I can’t use when SWMBO’s around. So all is well in southeastern PA! I feel clean, smoooth and refreshed, ready for the day!

RAZOR: LaResche 77
BLADE: Suneko
PREP: Cold water rinse and scrub with PAA’s Preshave Cube Soap
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Soap Commander Honor
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood AS Splash
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

65B1A51A-867E-4CAE-A0F7-87727694A367.jpeg
65B1A51A-867E-4CAE-A0F7-87727694A367.jpeg (416.38 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
SOTD 01/23/20

First of all, my apologies for the delayed posting. Every 6 months I have a medical procedure that knocks me out. I shaved early and quickly this morning, but needed to leave for the procedure and didn’t get the chance to post anything after snapping the photo! The shave was good; the LaResche 77 delivered the goods for a decent DFS all around, both face and noggin. Really like this Soap Commander’s Barbershop scent. But I’m exhausted, so will keep it brief. I left feeling clean, smooth and refreshed! Returned home feeling like I was hit by a Mack truck.

RAZOR: LaResche 77
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Preshave Cube Soap
BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
SOAP: Soap Commander Honor
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Ogallala Bay Rum/ Sandalwood AS Splash
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Wednesday SOTN

razor - Gillette Single-Ring Old
blade - Astra SP (7)
soap - Proraso Red
brush - Stirling 2-Band Synthetic
AS - Proraso Red
Finished off two tubs of soap in the past week, and the TOBS Mr Taylors is almost gone.
Time to go shopping!
Thinking of getting one of the Parker shavettes too. Can't decide between SRX and SR1.
I came to my senses about the shavette and just bought more soap: TOBS Mr Taylors, Mitchell's Wool Fat Luxury Soap refill, Fendrihan Shaving Cream/Aloe Water Fendrihan Shaving Cream/Charcoal
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

0F4B4C91-897A-49C7-ACE2-2621B5FED099.jpeg
0F4B4C91-897A-49C7-ACE2-2621B5FED099.jpeg (910.97 KiB) Viewed 4595 times
SOTD 01/24/20

Up very early this morning after my infusion yesterday, so why not have a relaxing shave. I decided to break with tradition; so I broke out the Grooming Dept’s Donkey Milk Unscented (instead of my usual MWF) which has always worked well for me. After salting it with 6 drops of M-Bomb to bring it to the Cryogen level, the soap was ready!

Yesterday I received my new H&S No75 polished SS razor. The razor was designed with a .75 blade gap with neutral blade exposure. Friends on a number of different dedicated razor forums had posted very positive reviews of its incredible efficiency and smoothness. Deep in the throes of RAD, I succumbed and ordered my own. A fair bit of time passed after my order with only the infamous ‘label created’ message showing in my USPS app. So after a week of this, I emailed the company which resulted in my order being dropped off immediately. The company’s in MD, so it only took two days to get to Philly.

The handle is longer than I’m used to at 3.74” and the entire razor weighs in at 126 grams. It’s hefty, but very well-balanced in the hand. I loaded it with a Feather blade and proceeded to have at it. The soap whipped up into a glistening, yogurty, cooling lather complemented by my Cube Preshave soap. It didn’t take long to find the sweet spot, and to echo others that have used the razor previously, must say that the shave was very smooth and efficient. What I discovered was that the longer handle enhanced the dome shave, particularly in the center of the back of my head, one of my regular trouble spots. The face shave was effortless leaving me with an easy two pass DFS all around. There were still some healing areas from my encounter with my defective Rex Ambassador, so I decided to happily settle for the DFS. I really enjoyed this shave, and am looking forward to continuing to shave with it over the course of the next few days. I feel clean, smoooth, cool and refreshed! Now off to make the coffee for SWMBO.
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Friday

Blade: Gillette Nacet
A/S: Forgot!
Cologne / Fragrance: YSL Opium

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

F4E757E5-8FAD-46E9-ADD4-E03F6142C0E5.jpeg
F4E757E5-8FAD-46E9-ADD4-E03F6142C0E5.jpeg (325.58 KiB) Viewed 4564 times
SOTD 01/25/20

Woke up to a torrential downpour on this Saturday morning. I was all set for another excellent shave with this razor. I’m thinking, that I’ll be trying some other blades in the razor over the next few shaves after completing this shave. Unbeknownst to me, the Feather blade I employed today ended up irritating the back of my head as the alum block and my AS Splash revealed. The fault is mine and not the razor. I have to restrain my eagerness to chase the BBS until my head is completely healed from the Rex encounter. Foolish me irritated the three healing areas by thinking my healing powers were more robust than they actually are! 72 ain’t 25! Besides, my birthday shave is coming up on 2/4. In any case my beloved Fat again delivered the goods for a two pass DFS on my face and a tender CCS on the noggin! The Snake Bite finish let me know that I’ve still a ways to go to completely heal the back of the noggin! I’m going to go without shaving the gourd for a few days to facilitate the healing. I figure by Tuesday, all should be well! In the meantime I’ll be sticking to face shaves until then! Happy shaves to all!

RAZOR: H&S No75
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Preshave Cube Soap
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite AS Splash
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

857037EB-323F-4E2F-806F-680BDE104D1A.jpeg
857037EB-323F-4E2F-806F-680BDE104D1A.jpeg (605.89 KiB) Viewed 4552 times
SOTD 01/26/20

The dome shave is on hiatus until Tuesday, my oldest son’s 45th birthday. The entire clan is getting together for the event. We have reservations at Tallulah’s Table in Kennett Square, PA. I’ll need a good noggin scrape for the event. Hopefully, the dome will be healed and ready by then.

The face shave today turned out to be a delightful two pass BBS. The MWF layer provided its usual comfortable, slick cushion for the new razor which effortlessly swept away my whiskers. Great shave! I feel clean and refreshed!

I've really enjoyed shaving with this new razor, but it’s time to stop. I'm awaiting delivery of a Colonial General V2 and am on the waitlist for a Wolfman. I don’t even know if I will follow through on the latter. My RR SS Lupo is pretty awesome and don’t know if the difference from a Wolfman after which it’s modeled is worth pursuing. Modern artisan razors all seem to be good! I don’t own a Timeless or a Charcoal Goods razor, but know I would like them. I just don’t feel that interested in acquiring them. Does this mean that RAD has run its course? Probably not, but at present I’m content to shave with the 12 razors in my regular rotation. They are:

1. Colonial Silversmith
2. Seki AS-D2
3. Blackland Vector
4. RR SS Lupo
5. Karve D-OC
6. Occam’s DE
7. H&S No75
8. GE Jones Shake Sharp
9. Fine Marvel
10. Cooper Monobilt
11. Gibbs Adjustables #15 & 17
12. LaResche 77

RAZOR: H&S No75
BLADE: Wizamet
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Cube Preshave Soap
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Boar
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite AS Splash
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Sunday, January 26, 2020

Razor: 1954 (Z-4) nickel Tech (Birth year and quarter)
Blade: Feather #1
Brush: Ever-Ready 500 lucite fit with TGN Best Badger
Cream: Coates Rose :D
P/S: Thayers non-alcohol Lavender Witch Hazel and Lucky Tiger Face Tonic & After Shave
A/S: Aqua Velva

Regards
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Sunday SOTN

razor - Schick E3 injector
blade - Schick (10)
soap - Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina
brush - 24 mm APShaveCo SynBad
AS - Mennen Skin Bracer

Got the shave done earlier than usual this evening, because I wanted to get back to sewing up a hip quiver.
I used fabric reclaimed from a broken folding camp chair.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sunday night:

Razor: Rockwell 6C (on setting/plate 2)
Blade: Treet Dura Sharp

Brush: Semogue 1305 (boar)
Soap: Tim's Soap, Prototype S6

Lather made on top of the soap
Two-and-a-half passes

Aftershave: Cold water rinse and Thayer's Peach Witch Hazel