SOTD March 9 - March 15, 2020

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
Mike R

SOTD March 9 - March 15, 2020

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Soap: Palmolive Stick
Razor: '54 Z2 Super Speed
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: Gillette Aftershave Lotion, Sensitive Skin
Cologne / Fragrance: Azzaro Elixir

Mike
jgreenepa

Re: SOTD March 9 - March 15, 2020

Post by jgreenepa »

192F32C9-444F-47BE-8A80-4EB5FC261B29.jpeg
192F32C9-444F-47BE-8A80-4EB5FC261B29.jpeg (2.09 MiB) Viewed 3531 times
SOTD 03/09/20

I really enjoyed the use of Evan’s (@MrEE) Badger/Boar hybrid brush in yesterday’s shave. It is a well-balanced brush with beautiful knurling and performed superbly yesterday. For today’s shave I decided to use Alpha Shaving’s T-400 Rubberset tribute brush. The uniqueness of this brush is that it allows for the use of different knots with the same handle. I own four ferrules, two 24mm and two 26mm. Each ferrule accommodates a single knot. I’ve already mated a synthetic knot and a hybrid 70/30 to the two 24mm ferrules. I’ve ordered a Badger knot and a Boar knot for the two new 26mm ferrules. The beauty of this brush is that it is now effectively four brushes in one. As soon as the two new knots arrive, I will epoxy each to an empty ferrule and be in business.

For today’s shave I selected the 24mm ferrule mated to a 70/30 Badger/Boar hybrid knot. After yesterday’s delightful shave, I again selected the Colonial Silversmith loaded with the same vintage Polish Wizamet Super Iridium blade. I began the shave with my regular cold water rinse following my shower. The brush, which had been soaking in warm water, generated a nice thick MWF paste for the face and head lather to follow. After completing a very leisurely, but vigorous face and head lather, I was left with a glistening, thick protective covering for both shave surfaces.

The Silversmith is such an incredible shaver, I’m always surprised that it isn’t better known. It’s so smooth that the efficiency of the shave always seems a surprise. The first WTG pass felt as though I was just brushing the lather away, until a check revealed the incredibly close shave (DFS+) delivered. I could have quit this morning after that first pass, but I guess I’ve become addicted to the velveteen smoothness of a true BBS. And that second ATG pass put the baby to bed, as my Atlanta CPA shave mentor is wont to say. I finished the shave by painting the MWF back over the newly shaved surfaces and leaving it there as I disassembled and cleaned both the brush and the razor. The result was a post-shave feel that is amazing. I feel clean, smooooth, refreshed and ready to take on this warm, sunny Philadelphia day. I wish all of you reading this an outstanding day! God bless you all!

RAZOR: Colonial Silversmith
BLADE: Vintage Polish Wizamet Super Iridium (2)
PREP: Cold Water rinse
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T400 Rubberset Homage Badger/Boar Knot
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Soap: Arko
A/S: Barbasol Brisk
Cologne / Fragrance: Aramis New West

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

53E56BE1-1BC9-4752-B98B-2A6803EF56FA.jpeg
53E56BE1-1BC9-4752-B98B-2A6803EF56FA.jpeg (3.31 MiB) Viewed 3507 times
SOTD 03/10/20

After two great shaves with the Silversmith, it was time to break out my Grail razor, the LaResche 51. This open comb wonder delivers every bit as good a shave as the Silversmith. My LaResche dates to the very end of production and is NOS. I was fortunate to source this razor in France from the estate of a French collector. Unfortunately, I lost the L’Essor Supreme Adjustable in that same collection when it went for five times what I had budgeted for it.

Needless to say, the razor was an absolute pleasure to use. Without any reservations, my two favorite DE razors are this razor and the Silversmith. Following my usual cold water rinse and a luxurious MWF face and head lather, it swept through my whiskers like Patton through Italy. I took my time and really enjoyed this two pass (WTG, ATG) BBS. I feel clean, smooth and refreshed. Enjoy your day!

RAZOR: LaResche 51
BLADE: Vintage Polish Wizamet Super Iridium
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Lisa’s Naturals Tobacco & Bay Post Shave Elixir
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Tuesday SOTN

razor - QShave Futur clone, set to 3/6 (instead of my usual 4 or 5)
blade - Feather (3)
soap - Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina
brush - APShaveCo 24 mm SynBad
post - warm water rinse, "Pure & Natural" Alum stick, cold water rinse
AS - Floïd Vigoroso
music - streaming CHMA Campus Radio

SWMBO says "What aftershave is that? I like it."
I had to tell her that it was Floïd Vigoroso, and that I was just trying to use it up because I don't really care for it. I got it in a PIF package. Too much like menthol + clove or cinnamon or something. At least the base notes are somewhat better.
I guess I'll put it back in the AS rotation (alphabetical order) but I don't plan to buy any more of it.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Soap: QED Sandalwood
A/S: Dollar Store Facial Cream
Cologne / Fragrance: Aramis New West

Mike