SOTD April 20 - April 26, 2020

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
Mike R

SOTD April 20 - April 26, 2020

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Cream: Yardley Gold
Razor: '54 Z2 Super Speed
Blade: Feather
A/S: Dollar Store Splash - Green / "Original"
Cologne / Fragrance: Jaipur

Mike
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Re: SOTD April 20 - April 26, 2020

Post by TRBeck »

Shavemac 2-Band silvertip faux briar
Homemade vetiver-citrus shave soap
Rockwell 6S double-edge on plate #5
US Personna Med Prep blade shave 2
Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Terre d'Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver

Simply stunning.

I'm really enjoying the lather I'm getting from badger right now. Synthetics lather with minimal effort or skill, but I sometimes think it makes me lazy, and I wind up with over-aerated lather. This 2-band is hitting all the right notes at present.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Monday AM 2020-04-20

Rooney 1/2 Ebony Finest (24/57)
Houbigant Fougère Royale shaving soap (vintage)
Defender for a trial run 
Houbigant Fougère Royale aftershave (vintage)

The Defender worked well.  I had to struggle a bit to get used to it, but then I was able to get a very good shave in 3 passes.  I'll take it on air trips when I am not going to check my luggage.
_______
John
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

John, that Rooney is beautiful. How's the feel of the bristles?
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

TRBeck wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:31 am John, that Rooney is beautiful. How's the feel of the bristles?
Thanks. This one has soft tips, with virtually no scritch, and medium backbone. It has a high loft that actually makes it a bit better for creams than hard soaps.
_______
John
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

F9004EEB-605F-4095-80FC-8816ABDC22BA.jpeg
F9004EEB-605F-4095-80FC-8816ABDC22BA.jpeg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 5812 times
SOTD Monday, April 20, 2020

Had a great shave with my Karve fitted with the new wide body cap. It’s definitely going back into the regular modern rotation. I decided since I always get a great shave from the Karve, that I would break out the new RazoRock SS Hawk V3 fitted with a Feather Super blade. I used to own five AC razors, and now am down to three keepers. The two I sold are the ATT SE1 and Classic Shaving’s Oren. My problem with the SE1 was its weight and handling. It just never felt balanced and was lighter than all of my three remaining SEs. The Oren was just too bulky and unwieldy. I sold both! The three remaining all fit my weight and balance criterion. The Blackland Vector and Colonial General V2 are both a joy to shave with. They both possess the desired weight and heft and work beautifully with a Feather Super, my AC blade of choice.

The New SS Hawk V3 has a slimmer head than the version 2. It feels great in hand and delivers every bit as good a shave as my two other AC razors. It certainly delivered the goods this morning. The Proraso Cooling Cream whipped up beautifully into the thick, protective lather I like thanks to my Viking Silvertip Badger brush. As expected, that first WTG pass eliminated all stubble right down to the skin line. The second ATG pass smoothed away my remaining rough areas on face and noggin, and left me with a lovely, bloodless BBS. A quick cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH, Aqua Velva AS Splash and Lisa’s Naturals Tobacco and Bay Balm left me clean, smooth, cool and refreshed.

RAZOR: RazoRock 316L SS Hawk V3
BLADE: Feather Super AC
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
CREAM: Proraso Green
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Aqua Velva (Spanish Version). Finished with Lisa’s Naturals Tobacco and Bay Balm
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Cream: Erasmic
Blade: Feather
A/S: Dollar Store Splash - Green / "Original"
Cologne / Fragrance: Jaipur

Mike
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

churchilllafemme wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:49 am
TRBeck wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:31 am John, that Rooney is beautiful. How's the feel of the bristles?
Thanks. This one has soft tips, with virtually no scritch, and medium backbone. It has a high loft that actually makes it a bit better for creams than hard soaps.
I hear you. The older badger brushes tended toward higher lofts, though. It's been a gradual thing even since I started wetshaving that guys got fixated on specs of their knots and the trend toward shorter, scrubbier brushes occurred.

Either way, it's a really nice handle design that I've always liked, and the hair looks less treated than anything today and even than some of the two-bands of that time.
Regards,
Tim

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Shavemac 2-band silvertip
Homemade lavender soap
Rockwell 6S razor plate #5
Personna Med Prep day #3
Lucky Tiger a/s face tonic
Prada Luna Rossa EDT 8)

Stellar again, but I overdid my lavender EO in this soap.
Regards,
Tim

jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

0CC93BA6-4DEC-4240-9C43-C6069FC7DB57.jpeg
0CC93BA6-4DEC-4240-9C43-C6069FC7DB57.jpeg (2.85 MiB) Viewed 5765 times
SOTD Tuesday, April 21, 2020

This RR Hawk V3 is really growing on me. It’s just the right kind of heavy, feels great in hand, and with a Feather Super loaded delivers the shave goods consistently. This is my second complete shave with the razor, and unlike some other shave purchases, leaves me with no buyer’s remorse. It really is every bit the equivalent of AC razors going for three times the price of this one. I’m not sure how Italian Barber is able to deliver a 316L marine grade SS razor for $59.99 US, when the direct competitors are so much more expensive. This price is only slated to remain with this batch. The price will be increasing to $75-79 in the next production run.

I began my shave with my usual cold water rinse. I selected the Grooming Dept’s Unscented Donkey Milk Soap, and noticed when I opened the container that little granules of bentonite clay had formed throughout the soap. My @MrEE Hybrid Knotted Brush performed beautifully, despite the granules, and whipped up a nice, shiny, yogurty lather. The Hawk made short shrift of my whiskers in that first WTG pass with the hyper sharp Feather Super slicing things right down to the skin line. My second ATG pass easily put the baby to bed, leaving me with another effortless BBS. A cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH, Fine Accoutrements Fresh Vetiver AS Splash, and finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum left me feeling smooth, clean, and refreshed!

RAZOR: RazoRock SS Hawk V3
BLADE: Feather Super AC
BRUSH: MrEE Hybrid Knot Brush
SOAP: Grooming Dept Unscented Donkey Milk
POSTSHAVE: A cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH, Fine Accoutrements Fresh Vetiver AS Splash, and finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Soap: QED Sandalwood
Blade: Lord Super Stainless
A/S: Family Dollar Spice Scent
Cologne / Fragrance: Aspen

Mike
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Shavemac 2-band silvertip faux briar
Asylum European Barbershop cream
Rockwell 6S double-edge on plate 5
Personna Medical Prep blade day #4
Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Prada Luna Rossa Carbon EDT spray

The Asylum cream is Creighton's-made, and it is fantastic. The scent bears echoes of Taylor Shaving Shop but is to me more refined. It actually may be my favorite shave cream scent ever. The lather is, of course, outstanding.

And badger. After seven years or so of synthetics with only occasional dips into boar and badger, this week has been really interesting. My lathers are great, slightly less easily made than with synths but not over-aerated. And the feel of badger is distinct from even the very best synthetics, which I do still really enjoy.
Regards,
Tim

jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

3BF53EC4-6E11-43D0-9A26-2787BA201BAE.jpeg
3BF53EC4-6E11-43D0-9A26-2787BA201BAE.jpeg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 5742 times
SOTD Wednesday, April 22, 2020

I’m fortunate to have a 12 razor shave rotation, one quarter of which are AC razors, and the remaining three quarters, DEs. I have many other razors in my collection, but none that I shave with as regularly as this dozen. Every razor in the rotation was selected for its ability to deliver a BBS, but in all honesty, none of the DEs deliver one as easily as my AC razors. My new SS RazoRock Hawk displaced my Gibbs Adjustable. It is now in the regular rotation.

Well, the jury is out on this new AC razor! The SS Hawk V3 is well into the winner’s column. It looks like part of a matching set with my @MrEE metal handled brush, and continues to shave like a dream with the Feather Super blade loaded. This morning I mixed my Feather Super clear gel with a dollop of Kapo Menthol Cream and 3 drops of M-Bomb. Evan’s Hybrid Badger/Boar brush whipped up an interesting translucent lather which very effectively moisturized my whiskers.

After my shower, and before lathering up, I began my shave with the usual cold water rinse. The Feather Super blade made quick work of my softened whiskers in the first WTG pass. Relathering with my Feather gel/Kapo cream combo for the second and final ATG pass, allowed for another effortless BBS with one minor weeper below my Adam’s Apple, which disappeared following the WH application. I feel clean, cool, smooth and refreshed, and ready for another TR6 ride this afternoon! Stay safe and healthy out there!

RAZOR: RazoRock 316L SS Hawk V3 SE
BLADE: Feather Super
BRUSH; MrEE Metal Handled Hybrid Badger/Boar Knot
CREAM/GEL: Feather/Kapo Combo
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite AS Splash. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Thursday

Soap: QED Sandalwood
Blade: Lord Super Stainless
A/S: Power Stick (Dollar Tree balm)
Cologne / Fragrance: Aspen

Mike
Actor07

Post by Actor07 »

Thursday, April 23rd

Darwin Deluxe razor

Personna 74 razor blade (18)
Attachments
IMG_1410.jpeg
IMG_1410.jpeg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 5728 times
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

678DB1D4-4F0C-46A0-BE44-ECB1421FB09E.jpeg
678DB1D4-4F0C-46A0-BE44-ECB1421FB09E.jpeg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 5725 times
SOTD Thursday, April 23, 2020

My favorite DE razor, hands down, is my Colonial Silversmith. The only complaint I’ve ever seen has been about the original handle design that came with the razor, never anything about it’s shaving capability. It’s been variously described as “ugly”, “too short”, “unbalanced and dumpy-looking” and “slippery”.

Well, Colonial is nothing if not responsive to their customers. The new handle design is heavier, contains knurling, and is beautifully balanced in hand. I just received it yesterday, and love it! It gives an entirely new look to the Silversmith. The shave hasn’t changed, of course, but the razor feels better in the hand, and the increased weight is noticeable to me.

The shave itself was spectacular, as usual. A FB Shave Forum friend from down under who is also appreciative of levels of BBS shaves, is correct in classifying the closest BBS shave as “glass-like”. I agree. The BBS I receive from my best shaving DE, this razor, is great, but still does not quite measure up to the BBS delivered with a Feather Super by any of my three AC safety razors.

For this shave I loaded a DE Feather blade into the Silversmith with it’s new handle, and soaked my Jayaruh Rosewood Handled #378 Silvertip Badger brush in warm water while showering. My shave prep consisted in adding 6 drops of M-Bomb to my Lucky Tiger Liquid Shave Cream and my usual cold water rinse. The Lucky Tiger is great stuff, and always delivers a thick, protective lather.

The Silversmith sheared through my whiskers on that first WTG pass. The whisker reduction continued through the second XTG, and third ATG delivering the desired BBS. Maybe the difference between this DE shave and the BBS provided by a Feather Super blade is in that first pass. The whisker feel isn’t quite as smooth afterwards with the Silversmith and it’s Feather blade as opposed to the General, the Vector or the Hawk loaded with a Feather Super AC blade.

Maybe it’s just placebo effect, but a day after an AC shave I still retain an acceptable DFS, whereas with the DE it seems to be more in the CCS category. In any case, I prefer the new handle to the old, and feel clean, cool, smooth, and refreshed.

RAZOR: Colonial Silversmith 316L SS
BLADE: Feather (1)
BRUSH: Jayaruh Rosewood Silvertip Badger #378
CREAM: Lucky Tiger Liquid Shave Cream
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite AS Splash. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Shavemac 2-band silvertip faux briar
Asylum European Barbershop cream
Rockwell 6S double-edge on plate 5
Personna Medical Prep blade day #5
Lucky Tiger aftershave & face tonic
Victorinox Swiss Army Classic spray

Big geranium note in this cream. It became quite noticeable during today's shave. Definitely a barbershop scent.
Regards,
Tim

pausted

Post by pausted »

Sudsy Soapery Almond and Vanilla soap
Savile Row 2122 Best brush
Razorock Hawk (v1) razor
Feather Pro blade
Royal Copenhagen aftershave
Best regards,

Basil
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Thursday SOTN

razor - QShave Futur clone
blade - Astra SP (4)
soap - TOBS Mr Taylors
brush - Omega 10086 Travel Boar
post - warm water rinse, "Pure & Natural" Alum stick, cold water rinse
AS - Old Spice Classic
music - CHMA-FM campus radio, on a Grundig FR200 multi-band radio (which recharges by cranking it)

I dare say that out of all my new and vintage boar brushes the 10086, with its 18 mm knot, is my favourite,
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

Mike R wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:01 am A/S: Dollar Store Splash - Green / "Original"
Who do you suppose named it that?

"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex