SOTD April 27 - May 3, 2020

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
Mike R

SOTD April 27 - May 3, 2020

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Cream: Taylor - Sandalwood
Razor: '54 Z2 Super Speed
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: British Sterling
Cologne / Fragrance: Stetson Black

Mike
jgreenepa

Re: SOTD April 27 - May 3, 2020

Post by jgreenepa »

3D7CD92A-20EF-4B6A-A7F1-8383A2BF9A39.jpeg
3D7CD92A-20EF-4B6A-A7F1-8383A2BF9A39.jpeg (3.14 MiB) Viewed 5068 times
SOTD MONDAY, APRIL 27, 2020

I’m grateful that I learned yesterday that the Broman razor was not for me, because the cleanup allowed me to reexperience my favorite razor. What I discovered is that it remains my favorite SE. The two stacked Feather DE blades used in this unique shaving tool feel every bit as stiff and unyielding as my favorite AC blade, the Feather Super and deliver as good a shave. The only drawback is the weight, but the quality of the shave delivered more than makes up for the latter deficit!

The GE Jones Shake Sharp is a very unique SE that uses DE blades. One of my shave mentors here at TSD and elsewhere, Jeff (@jmudrick), introduced me to the razor, his favorite as well, and I’m forever grateful. I now own three, one of which, the nickel plated Mark 2.0, resides in Philly, my favorite, the Bakelite Mark 1.5, is here in the Philly burbs with me, and another, a gold plated Mark 2.0, is at our place on Tybee Island. I used to own five, but PIF’d two to friends at TSD.

My friend Jeff taught me about stacking two SS DE blades in the Bakelite version. I just extended the technique to the metal handled versions. The razor was originally designed in the late thirties during the carbon steel blade era, but wasn’t produced until the mid to late forties on into the mid fifties when production ceased. A SE self sharpening razor, with its own built-in hone, developed during the thrifty late depression days just prior to WWII, allowed for a person to literally ‘Shake’ their carbon blades - which were thicker than the new SS blades - ‘Sharp’. It was designed to use the cheaper carbon steel DE blade. The carbon steel blades were thicker than the then new SS blades. Stacking two SS blades works beautifully to provide a sharp edge, yet one not so prone to biting.

For today’s shave I again used the Nancy Boy Signature shave cream only this time with 6 drops of M-Bomb, my Viking Silvertip Badger brush, Fine Accoutrements Lavender Pour Homme AS Splash, and A&E Post-Shave Serum. The shave, after my shower, proceeded exactly as anticipated following my regular cold water rinse prep. Two and a half, leisurely, relaxed passes (WTG, ATG, ATG) with this spectacular new shaving cream followed by Thayers Lavender WH, Fine Lavender Pour Homme AS Splash and a finish with A&E Post-Shave Serum ended a very slow, luxurious shave. Your very happy narrator was pleasantly led to bloodless BBS land. I feel clean, smooth, cool, and refreshed.

RAZOR: Bakelite handled Shake Sharp Mark 1.5 SE
BLADE: Two Stacked Feather DE Blades
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature Shave Cream salted with 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Fine Accoutrements Lavender Pour Homme AS Splash. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Shavemac 2-band 24/50
Palmolive shave "stuck"
Rockwell 6S on plate 5
Med Prep blade day #2
Thayer's Original Witch
Vettiveru EdC spray :)

Can't quit this badger brush. This could easily be my daily kit. Fantastic shave.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Tuesday

Cream: Taylor - Sandalwood
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: Dollar Store Splash - Green / "Original"
Cologne / Fragrance: Aramis Havana

Mike
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Shavemac two-band silvertip
Homemade citrus-vetiver ss
Rockwell 6S razor on plate 5
Personna Medical Prep day 3
Lucky Tiger Aftershave Tonic
TdH Eau Intense Vetiver edt

Spectacular
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

B13BB9C6-994A-45AE-9BE7-604371388874.jpeg
B13BB9C6-994A-45AE-9BE7-604371388874.jpeg (3.21 MiB) Viewed 5037 times
SOTD TUESDAY APRIL, 28, 2020

Today I dove back into my shave rotation, and pulled out my Cooper Monobilt. This was a relatively recent acquisition (about 7 mos ago) thoroughly enabled by the Cooper Razor Club thread at TSD where comments about the razor were so laudatory that when a friend at B&B offered me his in exchange for one of my two LaResche 61’s, it was a no brainer. I believe I got the better deal. I have two, the other of which - also acquired at B&B - resides in Philadelphia, 51 stories above the street where it keeps my nickel plated Shake Sharp company.

The razor is unique in having a hinged head controlled by the twist lock at the base of the handle. It’s an OC and an incredibly efficient shaver. For today’s Lavender shave I selected a Polsilver blade, and the same software as yesterday’s shave with the exception of the brush. Today I decided to use the Jayaruh Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger #378, one of my favorites. Just another great BBS shave, two and 1/2 passes (WTG,ATG,ATG) and the baby was put to bed! I feel clean, smooth, cool, and as refreshed as 6 drops of M-Bomb makes you feel.

RAZOR: Cooper Monobilt
BLADE: Polsilver
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger #378
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature Shave Cream
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Fine Accoutrements Lavender Pour Homme AS Splash. Finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum.
Actor07

Post by Actor07 »

Razor: The original Tradere First Gen OC,

Blade: Personna 74 (24)
Attachments
IMG_1460.jpeg
IMG_1460.jpeg (880.92 KiB) Viewed 5026 times
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

6F6E94D2-A70F-4772-ACAC-F2BF635901A7.jpeg
6F6E94D2-A70F-4772-ACAC-F2BF635901A7.jpeg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 5020 times
SOTD WEDNESDAY, APRIL 29, 2020

Another great shave with one of my stalwarts, the Karve Shaving ‘Christopher Bradley’ razor, fitted with my new wide body top cap and an E-OC plate. This razor was my first new razor purchase after 50+ unsophisticated single pass Barbasol shave years with my faithful Schick Krona, which gave up the ghost in 2019. The quality of the Karve design and the razor’s weighty feel in hand was the beginning of a bad case of RAD. I can thank my good shave brothers at TSD for both the conscious and unconscious enablement of both vintage and modern shave tools that followed. The first shaves I experienced with this Karve razor literally exploded my shave horizons. The excellent photography and rave reviews that I consumed at TSD, B&B and DFS led me to purchase a very large variety of old and new shave tools.

The true revelation arrived this last December. At TSD the adage is “technique trumps tools”, or more simply, “it ain’t the arrow that kills you, it’s the Indian!” I realized that 50 yrs of DE shaves did leave me with decent technique that readily transferred to modern DEs and non-pivoting SEs, and that the quality of my shaves improved immensely when I incorporated multiple passes into my routine. At my point in life, I have no interest in cart shaving or shaving with transitional pivoting SEs. I’ve had one experience with CART shaving, the Omnishaver, which initially seemed to deliver great head shaves, until I began to develop ingrown hairs on the back of my neck. That was that for CARTs.

This particular razor, while opening my eyes to new shaving vistas, did tend to nick my ears with the exposed blade tabs that were part of the original top cap design. While not a consistent problem, it did eventually lead to my putting the Karve aside more and more. The new wide body cap completely corrects this deficit. I know I’ll be using this razor with much greater frequency. It is an awesome shaver. My shave today was a real pleasure! I really enjoy OC DEs for the efficient shave delivered. They tend to have a much more generous sweet spot, and because of this do require some minding, but the head and face shaves they provide more than make up for the increased attention required. Mr. Bradley put the baby to bed after two and a half passes (WTG, ATG, ATG), where the last half pass consisted of buffing cleanup. The 6 drops of M-Bomb added to one of my favorite shave creams, Kapo, left me feeling incredibly cool, smooth and refreshed. BBS land is where I prefer to dwell, and this particular razor is one of my 12 keys!

RAZOR: Karve Christopher Bradley with E-OC plate and Wide Body Cap
BLADE: Suneko (1)
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger Fan
CREAM: Kapo Menthol w/ 6 Drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Fine Accoutrements Lavender Pour Homme AS Splash. Finished with Cremo Post Shave Balm.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Shavemac 2-band silvertip faux briar
Homemade blue cypress shave soap*
Rockwell 6S double-edge on plate 5
Personna Medical Prep blade day #4
Thayer's Original Witch Hazel splash
Victorinox Swiss Army Classic spray

*This is an essential oil scent. One oil: Australian blue cypress. It smells of evergreens, of course, but also has fruit and spice notes and a deep, calming presence. It is a dense-smelling oil and absolutely perfect for a shave soap in my opinion.
Regards,
Tim

Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Soap: Palmolive Stick
Blade: Super-Max Platinum
A/S: Aveda
Cologne / Fragrance: Realm Intense

Mike
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Thursday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Soap: Arko
A/S: Vintage Avon Brisk Spice
Cologne / Fragrance: Lagerfeld Classic

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

70E72502-ED56-40F3-BC3F-50A0B26D879A.jpeg
70E72502-ED56-40F3-BC3F-50A0B26D879A.jpeg (796.43 KiB) Viewed 5002 times
SOTD THURSDAY, APRIL 30, 2020

Decided to end April with one of my favorite vintage razors. I was fortunate to source this NOS LaResche 51 from the very end of their safety razor production. It’s a marvelous shaver. Since I have to be out of the house for the rest of the day, I decided to keep things brief today. My oldest son sent back my heavy (1 lb) Rearden 316L SS handled synth knot brush. It’s much heavier than other brushes, but the synthetic knot is unique in that this type of knot is usually used in make up brushes. It’s softer than my other synthetics and seems to retain water better. It generated a great 6 drop M-Bomb salted MWF lather for my two and a half pass (WTG, ATG, ATG) face and noggin BBS shave this morning. I feel clean, cool, smooth and refreshed today!

RAZOR: LaResche 51
BLADE: Polsilver (2)
BRUSH: Rearden Razor 316L SS Synth Knot
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat salted with 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Murray & Lanman Florida Water AS/Cologne
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Omega 10005 pure boar
DR Harris Almond soap
Rockwell 6S DE plate 5
Personna Medical day 5
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Prada Luna Rossa spray

First boar use in a while. I do prefer the Shavemac badger, but this boar is one to keep in the den for days like this one when the itch strikes.
Regards,
Tim

Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Friday

Cream: Trumper Sandalwood
A/S: Old Spice Leather

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

A94105BA-D681-4A34-8509-B842E588D157.jpeg
A94105BA-D681-4A34-8509-B842E588D157.jpeg (3.27 MiB) Viewed 4987 times
SOTD FRIDAY, MAY 1, 2020

To kick off May, I decided to go old school, since I fit the category. It’ll be a May Mayhem launch. I selected my French Spadson DE that dates from the late 20s to the early 30s. It was originally designed to supposedly have a mild side and an aggressive side. Frenchmen in those days must have had Kevlar beards, because the easiest way to characterize the two shave sides of this razor head for me is as insanely aggressive and positively assaultive.

In order to anesthetize my two shave surfaces - face and noggin - I selected one of the coldest menthol combinations in my den, Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite Soap and AS. I then added 3 drops of M-Bomb to the soap. In hindsight the M-Bomb was a bit much! But I was hoping for numbness to help deal with the potential bloodshed. El Scratcho (@9nein9) would be proud!

I selected my favorite Boar brush, the Omega Pro48 and soaked the tips in ice water, and set aside a bowl of ice water, totally influenced by my old FB friend, Joe (@JACarbone). I normally start every shave with a cold water rinse right out of the tap, but must admit that the ice water rinse was much more refreshing. Now the M-Bomb salted Snake Bite was close to my menthol limit, but the ice water lather felt great.

Everything seemed to be going swimmingly when I picked up the Spadson and loaded a Voskhod in the vain hope of mitigating future mishap. I thought I was using the insanely aggressive side of the head, but quickly discovered that it was the assaultive side as I experienced a set-down error by my right sideburn which my styptic put to rights. An auspicious beginning you ask?

Well I quickly flipped the head and very carefully rode the cap through the rest of that first WTG pass using very careful short strokes, with special attention devoted to my dome, and managed to complete it without further bloodshed. A check with the alum did reveal considerable heat around my usual trouble spots. That first pass did shear through my whiskers right down to the skin line.

In the interest of self preservation I confined the second pass to very careful WTG buffing around my problem areas and ended with a nick above my Adam’s Apple and three weepers on the back of the noggin that the Thayers dealt with. A check with the alum revealed a fair bit of irritation around the buffed areas leaving me with a shave hovering between CCS and DFS, pretty much what I expected. I feel a bit sore, somewhat smooth, but definitely very cool and content that I managed to keep the damage under control. Time to store this torture implement until Awkward August rolls around.

RAZOR: French Spadson DE
BLADE: Voskhod
PREP: Ice water rinse
BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
SOAP: Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite
POSTSHAVE: Ice water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Snake Bite AS Splash. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Shavemac 2-band 24/48 faux briar
Homemade Irish Spring shave soap
Rockwell 6S double-edge plate #5
US Personna Medical Prep shave 6
Lucky Tiger Aftershave Face Tonic
Comme des Garcons Vettiveru edc

Stellar. Enjoyed being back to the badger today.
Regards,
Tim

jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

2E025920-0565-40C5-A986-0A84B7E43A3E.jpeg
2E025920-0565-40C5-A986-0A84B7E43A3E.jpeg (3.04 MiB) Viewed 4973 times
SOTD SATURDAY, MAY 2, 2020

Despite the kerfuffle with my savage Spadson assaultive safety razor yesterday, I really enjoyed the software, and decided to repeat everything but the brush. Fine Snake Bite Soap is wonderfully cooling, especially when enhanced with 3 drops of M-Bomb and finished with the corresponding AS. I decided to put off the LeCoq Cage Head shave until tomorrow. I own two Gillette Silver Plated Single Rings, which date from the first year of production, 1905. Both were tarnished black when I came across them in a garage sale, and went for $5. They both exhibit the very slight neck cracks one sees in this model; and one shows the slight outline on the top cap of the end of the tightening screw developed by an overenthusiastic previous owner, all of which are just cosmetic. Both razors are decent shavers. I selected the unmarred top cap razor for today’s shave. What always occurs to me whenever I shave with either is the 115 years of history I hold in my hand. As a sixth generation owner, I feel a sense of respect and responsibility. The prior owners were good enough caretakers, that I was able to restore both back to gleaming utility. Let’s return to the actual shave.

After my shower, and preliminary ice water rinse, I generated a thick, yogurty lather with my Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute brush. I selected the 26mm ferrule set with the two band Badger knot for the job, and it over delivered. I ended up with more than enough lather for three three pass shaves. Note to self, spend less time picking up soap paste before working it in the bowl. Madame Gillette was surprisingly efficient for a 115 year old lady. I enjoy only a few vintage Gillettes, but the Old Type is definitely one of them. The old lady did not reopen any of yesterday’s nicks and weepers. She delivered a relaxing, delightfully cooling, leisurely DFS++ level three pass (WTG, XTG, ATG) shave. The best part of any shave for me is the finish! The Thayers lavender WH, Snake Bite AS, and Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm put the icing on the cake for me. I feel smooth, clean, cool and refreshed.

RAZOR: Gillette Old Type 1905 Vintage
BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium
PREP: Ice water rinse
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute w/ 26mm ferrule sporting a Two Band Badger Fan knot
SOAP: Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite AS Splash. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Much earlier this morning:

Shavemac 2-band silvertip
Homemade Woodlands soap
Rockwell 6S plate 5
Personna Med Prep shave 7
Lucky Tiger Aftershave
Prada Luna Rossa Carbon

Superb.
Regards,
Tim

brothers

Post by brothers »

Today's change of pace was Castle Forbes Cedarwood and Sandalwood shaving cream. It'll be on the menu for the next 40 days or so. The brush of choice is the Manchurian Rooney.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444