SOTD June 1 - Jun 7, 2020

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
CMur12

SOTD June 1 - Jun 7, 2020

Post by CMur12 »

Sunday night:

Razor: Rockwell 6C (on setting/plate 2)
Blade: Treet Dura Sharp

Brush: Semogue 2040 (silvertip)
Soap: Tim's Soap, Prototype S6

Lather made on top of the soap
Two-and-a-half passes

Aftershave: Cold water rinse and Thayer's Peach Witch Hazel

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

SOTD June 1 - June 7

Post by drmoss_ca »

Up to #4 in the set, with honing done up to #6.
SOTD010620.jpg
SOTD010620.jpg (125.06 KiB) Viewed 4833 times
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
kronos9

Re: SOTD June 1 - June 7

Post by kronos9 »

'47 Gillette Aristocrat
Polsilver blade
D. R. Harris almond soap
Kent BK4
Myrsol C aftershave
Ed
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue Mistura Taj
Palmolive shave soap
Rockwell 6S DE razor
Gillette Silver Blue 2
Lucky Tiger tonic a/s
CdG Vettiveru spray
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Proraso Sensitive Shave Soap
Proraso Boar Brush
Robuso Solingen Straight Razor
Proraso Sandalwood Aftershave
Richard
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

84589DB0-72EB-4BA1-B612-54DCC6BF3C56.jpeg
84589DB0-72EB-4BA1-B612-54DCC6BF3C56.jpeg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 4787 times
SOTD TUESDAY, JUNE 2, 2020

Many of my friends at TSD have focused on basic shaves for June. In that spirit I’ve decided to join the party. One of the most basic razors I own is my Turkish Yuma. Total outlay was around $4. It’s a very basic die cast Zamac DE with about the crudest galvanized finish one could apply. There’s an argument out there over whether they originate in Turkey or China?

Frankly, I don’t give a hoot! This crude-looking little thing is one heck of a shaver! It’s incredibly light, and light safety razors have usually been a problem for shaky old me. Not the Yuma! When loaded with a fresh Feather blade and held by the very tip of handle, it shaves like a dream! I rest the blade on the shave surface and lightly drag it across the shave surface, and the Yuma’s generous sweet spot in combination with the incredibly sharp Feather DE does the trick. I last used it a few months ago, and had forgotten its magic!

In keeping with the basic theme, we’re talking about a $10 shave - $4 for the razor and approximately $6 for the AS Splash. I received the the Infinity Kent Synthetic brush and Arko as part of my TSD Secret Santa. The problem with this danged kit is the quality of the shave it delivered. After my shower and cold water rinse, I applied the Arko to mug and noggin.

That little Kent brush generated a thick, shiny and slick, yogurty lather blanket during the face and head lathering process. And boy did it feel good! Note to self, spend more time face and dome lathering. Madame Yuma loves to sing the buttering toast song as she cuts. It took three traditional passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) but she put me on the slow train to VBBS land. Two very minor weeps around my Adam’s Apple which disappeared following my cold water Glyce Glycerin soap wash. I feel clean, velveteen smooth and refreshed!

RAZOR: Yuma Safety Razor
BLADE: Feather DE
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Kent Infinity Synthetic
SOAP: Arko
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Old Spice Original AS Splash.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

#5 from the set, with homemade soap, Simpson Polo 10, and a blast from the past - Paco Rabanne Pour Homme!
SOTD020620.jpg
SOTD020620.jpg (109.02 KiB) Viewed 4785 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue Mistura Taj Resin
La Toja soap - stick format
Rockwell 6S razor plate #5
Gillette Silver Blue day #3
Lucky Tiger a/s face tonic
Monsieur de Givenchy EDT
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

T&H Traditional Shave Soap
“The Duke - The Shedder Edition”
Double Duck Pearl Goldedge
Proraso Sandalwood Aftershave
Richard
brothers

Post by brothers »

A footnote to expand upon the details listed below just for the next 2 weeks: Castle Forbes Cedarwood/Sandalwood; Manchurian Rooney.
The razor, blade, aftershave, etc. are constants.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Cream: T&H Rose
Razor: '54 Z2 Super Speed
Blade: Polsilver
A/S: Barbasol Brisk
Cologne / Fragrance: Aramis Tobacco Reserve

Mike
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

C4BC5D61-AD87-4887-A3A0-B7748A4F4259.jpeg
C4BC5D61-AD87-4887-A3A0-B7748A4F4259.jpeg (316.02 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
45853CCE-6391-4758-8511-BE083995F252.jpeg
45853CCE-6391-4758-8511-BE083995F252.jpeg (649.05 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
SOTD WEDNESDAY, JUNE 3, 2020

Today I broke out a well-used PAA Preshave Soap bar, it used to be a cube, but those days are long past. I decided to shave with the well-worn Schick Type C I own. I placed a Schick B-20 Proline in the cassette and loaded the razor. Since it’s Wool Fat Wednesday, and SWMBO would be working from home I added my 6 drops of M-Bomb, grabbed my Viking Silvertip Badger and made sure it would be a scent-free morning by selecting Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite AS Splash. Before my discovery of Nancy Boy Shave cream, I was a committed MWF true fan. In fact, I’d spent months in the past shaving with nothing but MWF going back to my Schick Krona days. I own other soaps, but have never found a lathering product in the same class until Nancy Boy. Both these soaps when used consistently deliver incredible post shave feel. But back to the shave.

The Type C because of it’s handle-heavy design, can tend to promote pressure during the shave, which we all know leads to blood-letting. As a result, I don’t end to use my Type B for the same reason. Parkinson’s and pressure don’t play well together. After the first two nicks on my right cheek, I put this historical classic down, and grabbed my Fatip Piccolo. Although it’s a short-handled razor, at 70 grams has the right heft and weight in hand to do the job nicely. The problem I face as a collector-user is that there are too many great-shaving razors out there. The Fatip Piccolo’s knurled piping make it easy to grip. It’s a highly efficient shaver, and the OC design is a real plus. The razor has a relatively wide sweet spot, great balance and really delivers the goods.

The last time I nicked myself this badly was back during May Mayhem with the French Spadson, the only truly obsessively aggressive safety razor in my collection. After the styptic pencil put things to right, I continued my shave with the Piccolo for the first pass (WTG). What a splendid little shaver, and the new Nacet I loaded made quick work of the overnight stubble mowing things right down to the skin line. It was a particular joy to use on my noggin. There’s something about OC dome shaves that just works well. Despite the initial rocky start, this shave was uphill all the way. The second pass (ATG), really only consisted of some selective buffing. That little Piccolo piped a delightful buttering toast song throughout the shave and delivered me directly to VBBS land despite the initial mishap. I feel clean, slightly wounded, but otherwise cool, velveteen smooth and refreshed.

RAZOR: Schick Type C followed by Fatip Piccolo
BLADE: Schick B-20 Proline followed by Nacet
PREP: Cold water rinse and PAA Preshave Cube Soap
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat cooled w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite AS Splash.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Shavemac Finest 23/48
Homemade limes soap
Rockwell 6S on plate #5
Silver Blue blade day #4
Lucky Tiger aftershave
TdH Eau Intense Vetiver
Regards,
Tim

Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Thursday

Cream: Godrej Lime
A/S: Barbasol Brisk
Cologne / Fragrance: Aramis Tobacco Reserve

Mike
pausted

Post by pausted »

AOS Sandalwood cream
WCS Tuxedo synthetic brush
Colonial General razor
Kai Captain Original blade
Proraso Sandalwood aftershave
Best regards,

Basil
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Re: SOTD June 1 - Jun 7, 2020

Post by TRBeck »

Shavemac 2-band badger
Homemade vetiver soap
Rockwell 6S DE plate #5
Silver Blue blade shave 5
Lucky Tiger a/s face tonic
CdG Vettiveru EDC spray
Regards,
Tim

Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Friday

Cream: Erasmic
A/S: Barbasol Pacific Rush
Cologne / Fragrance: The Man - Silver

Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

TI Super Gnome 6/8 half hollow, Homemade soap, Simpson Chubby 1, Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur:
SOTD050620.jpg.jpg
SOTD050620.jpg.jpg (97.64 KiB) Viewed 4643 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Shavemac Finest 23/48
Blue cypress shave soap
Rockwell 6S on plate #5
Silver Blue blade day 6
Lucky Tiger Aftershave
YSL Live Jazz edt spray
Regards,
Tim

jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

3C286003-60BB-4C52-97C3-8024D9FA64FD.jpeg
3C286003-60BB-4C52-97C3-8024D9FA64FD.jpeg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 4632 times
SOTD FRIDAY, June 5, 2020

I own four Valet Auto Strop (VAS) razors, all of which I’ve shaved with except for my silver plated VB2 model. That razor and my NOS Le Coq Cage Head are the only two in my collection that I’ve never used. My other three VAS razors are all great head and face shavers. Today I decided to shave with the VB2. Tomorrow I’ll shave with the Le Coq.

The VB2 model was made between 1922 and 1929 and predated the Probak razor model that Henry Gaismann used to take over Gillette. It, like all VAS razors I’ve shaved with, turned out to be a great shaver as well. Software selected for the shave was Nancy Boy Signature shave cream and balm, and my brush was one of my four Jayaruh Custom brushes - the #374 Boar.

I loaded the VAS with a Feather FHS-10 blade and began my shave. The Nancy Boy generated its usual thick, yogurty lather with the help of the Jayaruh Boar. While not a fan of these particular Feather blades, my modified Gem didn’t fit well because of the raised indents in the blade receiver. Despite this, the shave went quite well.

After my shower and cold water rinse, I lathered up and had a good first pass (WTG). The Nancy Boy provided a great cushion as the razor sheared through the 36 hours growth of whiskers practically down to the skin line. The second pass (ATG) made short work of the remaining stubble and put the baby to bed leaving your surprised narrator with an excellent BBS, not quite to the VBBS level, but I’ll attribute that to the blade and not the razor. I feel clean, smooth and refreshed.

RAZOR: Valet Auto Strop Model VB2
BLADE: Feather FHS-10
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Boar #374
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Nancy Boy Signature Scent Cooling Aftershave Gel.
Attachments
26851866-3C8D-458B-B648-29D16BFED5A6.jpeg
26851866-3C8D-458B-B648-29D16BFED5A6.jpeg (365.92 KiB) Viewed 4632 times