SOTD July 6 - July 12

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
brothers

SOTD July 6 - July 12

Post by brothers »

Torrey straight razor
Fine SnakeBite soap
Rooney Butterscotch Silvertip brush
Superior 70 splash
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Mike R

Re: SOTD July 6 - July 12

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Omega 13522 Pure
Cream: Imperial Leather
Razor: '52 Super Speed
Blade: Indian Wilkinson
A/S: British Sterling
Cologne / Fragrance: Canoe

Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Livi Damasteel mother of pearl, homemade soap, Grosvenor Brush, J.M.Farina Eau de Cologne:

SOTD060720.jpg
SOTD060720.jpg (120.41 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue 1470 in boar
Tim's blue cypress soap
Rockwell 6S on plate 5
Personna Medical Prep
Lucky Tiger a/s & tonic
Eau de Rochas Homme
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

BDC8A4F9-4A79-427D-A22A-BD15ADAD0F21.jpeg
BDC8A4F9-4A79-427D-A22A-BD15ADAD0F21.jpeg (893.56 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
SOTD MONDAY, July 6, 2020

SWMBO left with her son and his girlfriend for a week’s vacation on Cape Cod minus your humble narrator. I’m keeping company with Gromit, my faithful dachshund buddy, in the Philly burbs. I will miss SWMBO, but am excited at the prospect of a week with my favorite fragrances.

Another great shave today! Did the face with the Feather SS folding Barber’s Razor loaded with a Feather Super Blade. Very pleasant DFS++ with some residual stubble around the Adam’s Apple. The Shake Sharp cleaned things up on the mug and again delivered its usual velveteen BBS noggin job. I feel refreshed, clean and velveteen!

RAZOR: Feather SS Barber’s Razor (Mug), Shake Sharp Model 1.5 (Noggin)
BLADES: Suneko Stacked
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Kent Infinity Synth
CREAM: Palmolive w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished withMentholated Mysterium Serum.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

87DF0CBA-B9E6-4956-BE74-60EFEADD246A_1_201_a.jpeg
87DF0CBA-B9E6-4956-BE74-60EFEADD246A_1_201_a.jpeg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 4233 times
SOTD TUESDAY, JULY 7, 2020

Today's shave was totally relaxed and quite enjoyable. SWMBO is almost 400 miles away on Cape Cod romping and frolicking with her son and his girlfriend, and it's just my dachshund, Gromit, and I back here in the Philly burbs. What I like about Gromit is that he's a very non-critical observer more interested in chewing his Nylabone than my shave particulars. I've informed my son that I'm keeping this Damascus straight razor along with both Feather Barber's razors. I love Menthol as many of you know, and have developed a real fondness for Osage Rub (OR). So much so that I've subscribed to it on Amazon. It's been incredibly humid and hot for the last few weeks, and while it's great to use during the shaving process, it's even better after one has been working outside as a capstone splash to a good cold soap and water wash. The stuff works all day! They ain't lying' when they describe it as an "Invigorating Splash for Head and Face". Whoo doggie, it sure is!

There's something about this Damascus blade that I prefer over my Dovo's blade besides the fact that it's honed. It just feels better in hand. The knurling on the spine is a nice touch and may contribute to the latter. In any case after my shower and cold water wash, I decided to to return the PAA Preshave Cube. I prefer Rabid Banana over the Charcoal versions I had been using. I stopped using the Charcoal version because of the black mess I always had to clean off my face. No such problem with the Rabid Banana which also has a delightful fruity scent. After applying it I lathered up with Nancy Boy and enjoyed a slow, relaxing two pass (WTG, ATG) DFS mug shave with the Damascus Straight leaving some residual stubble in the usual places, which I have decided to, at this point in my straight razor journey, forego cleaning up. Besides, it was time to use what Ruds Shaves proclaimed as his 2019 Safety razor of the year pick. The RazoRock SS DLC coated DE safety razor has been neglected lately, so it was time for a spin. What I really like about this razor is that it just works! Mowing down the residual facial stubble around the Adam's Apple took no time, and moved me from bloodless DFS to VBBS on the Mug.

The dome shave was a real delight. After rinsing the skull in ice cold water, I scrubbed the noggin shave surfaces thoroughly with the Rabid Banana Preshave cube. It really felt great and was definitely accentuated by the ice cold Nancy Boy lather applied directly on top. I've been reading many shave commentaries of late on my home TSD forum referencing riding the bar vs riding the cap. I don't believe I've ever ridden the cap, and I've been shaving with DEs for a very long time. My straight razor journey has focused my attention on skin stretching, but even more importantly on blade to skin touch, or what many refer to as 'blade feel'. Before returning to straight razors I was very aware of the 'negative pressure' mantra trumpeted about in the wet shaving forums. That's clearly important, but when combined with skin stretching, I realized that 'blade feel' is a very important component of the process except in negative or neutral exposure safety razor designs like the AS-D2 or Colonial Silversmith where it isn't immediately apparent. It's really all about 'blade feel' and the 'sweet spot' for a particular safety razor. So I don't find the whole riding the cap vs riding the bar metaphors particularly helpful personally. YMMV! Sorry about the shaving philosophy excursus. The noggin shave with this wonderful safety razor was a brilliant two pass (WTG, ATG) that delivered your very pleased shaving narrator to VBBS land. I do feel very refreshed, cool, clean and velveteen!

RAZOR: Damascus Straight 7/10 Koa Scales (Mug); RazoRock SS DLC Lupo (Dome & Mug cleanup)
BLADE: Sharp Star (2)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
BRUSH: Rearden Razor 316L Tuxedo Synth
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Nancy Boy Signature Scent Cooling After-Shave Gel and Ultimo Cologne.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue Torga C5 boar
Tim's blue cypress soap
Rockwell 6S DE plate 5
US Personna Med Prep
Lucky Tiger aftershave
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sadly, no shave for me today (up at 4am and not home till 7pm), but I'll have a shave that's twice as good tomorrow!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Wednesday

Cream: Yardley Gold
Blade: Derby Extra
A/S: Afta
Cologne / Fragrance: Aramis New West

Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Zowada damascus cocobolo square point, homemade soap, Simpson's 'The Colonel', Taylor's Lavender Water:

SOTD080720.jpg
SOTD080720.jpg (119.17 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue 830
Valobra soap
Rockwell 6S
Medical Prep
Lucky Tiger
Guerlain Vet
Regards,
Tim

brothers

Post by brothers »

Fine Snake Bite soap
Rooney Silvertip
Noxzema/Kai twin blade disposable
Superior 70 splash
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

Thursday

Cream: Godrej Lime
Blade: Derby Extra
A/S: Afta
Cologne / Fragrance: Azzaro Chrome United

Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Livi Damasteel briarwood, homemade soap, Vulfix 2 band brush, Penhaligon's English Fern:

SOTD090720.jpg
SOTD090720.jpg (128.77 KiB) Viewed 4176 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

CA56DC56-B316-4B27-A7BB-D5FC995CDBD7.jpeg
CA56DC56-B316-4B27-A7BB-D5FC995CDBD7.jpeg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 4174 times
SOTD THURSDAY, JULY 9, 2020

Yesterday was my first no-shave day since my hospitalization back in January. My daughter-in-law had a bit of a medical emergency early yesterday morning! So I ended up spending the day at my son’s watching my youngest grandson, Nate, all day. Everything is fine now. So this morning when I woke up, I was really in the mood for a good shave! I’ve had a few shaves with the Feather SS Kamisori loaded with a Feather Super, which provided a close shave, but left me with at least 1 and sometimes 2 weepers consistently.

Since I’m still mastering proper hold technique, albeit with 6 extra pounds strapped to my forearms, I decided to heed my friend, Bill Morgan’s (@Edison Carter) advice. I didn’t own any ProGuards, but while admiring my son’s shave den yesterday, noticed a box of 10 Feather Proguards. So I helped myself to a magazine of 15 blades, and informed my son upon his return later that day that it constituted my childcare payment. Although in all honestly I should have paid him! Nate and I had a grand time.

Back to this morning’s shave! I decided to bowl lather my MWF this morning for a change. So I bloomed the puck in hot water during my shower. After my cold water rinse and Rabid Banana Preshave application, I loaded the Feather SS with the Feather Proguard blade directly from the magazine. Instead of a Schick injector style metal key, there’s a plastic post that fits into the end of the Kamisori SS and allows for direct, hands-free blade injection right into the razor.

With that task complete, I grabbed the Jayaruh Custom #343 Synthetic, a great little lather machine, and proceeded to generate an enormous amount of thick, slick lather from the bloomed MWF puck. The different blade resulted in an actual VBBS two pass (WTG, ATG) Mug Shave, my first with an open edge! Thanks, Bill! Should have heeded your well-intentioned advice earlier. What was even more amazing is that the alum check revealed no heat whatever! I considered using the same razor for the dome, but decided to quit while ahead. The Supply V2 is probably the best injector razor I own, and delivered its usual bloodless VBBS dome shave.

But the best part was yet to come! After a liberal splash of Humphreys WH followed by Osage Rub, I pulled out what used to be one of my favorite AS splashes, and a guaranteed migraine inducer for poor SWMBO, Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood AS Splash. Fortunately, SWMBO is 374 miles away on Cape Cod until Monday. As my friend, Jim (@jluc) has been known to say, “I smell pretty!!”. I may have gone a bit overboard application-wise! I know this because my good friend, Gromit, the dachshund, had an initial violent sneezing fit, and has since been keeping his distance probably until the fumes die down. I feel cool clean, and oh so velveteen!

RAZOR: Feather SS Kamisori (Mug), Supply V2 (Dome)
BLADE: Feather Proguard AC (Mug), Schick B-20 Proline (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse and Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
BRUSH: Jayaruh #343 Synthetic
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Ogallala Bay Rum & Sandalwood AS Splash.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue 1800 brush
Lav-lemongrass soap
Rockwell 6S DE razor
Personna Med blade
Lucky Tiger a/s tonic
Guerlain Homme edt
Regards,
Tim

brothers

Post by brothers »

Changes to today's SOTD include the Musgo Real shaving soap and the Noxzema/Kai twin disposable. I'm looking at using a straight razor tomorrow.
Gary

Actor07

Post by Actor07 »

Razor: Darwin Standard

Blade: Personna Super Platinum Chrome (18)
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg (330.59 KiB) Viewed 4144 times
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Somehow I forgot to post this on Friday so there be another one later on. Zowada damascus cocobolo, homemade soap, Kent BK8, Creed Royal English Leather:

SOTD100720.jpg
SOTD100720.jpg (113.9 KiB) Viewed 4127 times
This razor is one of those straights where you make the first few strokes and don't know if it is really blunt or really sharp - you feel nothing. Either it is sliding through every hair or not even catching on it at all. Since there was no stubble after the first pass I'm glad to say it was the former. What a beaut!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

And one for today. Livi Damasteel ebony, homemade soap, Variable Loft Brush, Trumper's Wild Fern:

SOTD110720_long_loft.jpg
SOTD110720_long_loft.jpg (102.64 KiB) Viewed 4121 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace