SOTD July 13 - July 19 2020

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
jgreenepa

Re: SOTD July 13 - July 19 2020

Post by jgreenepa »

92925DC3-34A3-4D34-B462-794638ADF96C.jpeg
92925DC3-34A3-4D34-B462-794638ADF96C.jpeg (3.41 MiB) Viewed 2856 times
SOTD FRIDAY JULY 17, 2020

Another great face shave from the Double Duck Goldedge. I do understand the appeal of this anachronistic approach to shaving. And it’s delivered real benefits to my safety razor shaving vis a vis skin stretching. I just really detest the whole stropping/honing thing, and knowing myself as well as I do after 7 decades of strutting the planet, it’s just not going to work for me. I’ll definitely do it intermittently, but I admit, I appreciate shave technology, and find safety razor shaving and replaceable blades much more to my liking. It really hit me yesterday, when I purchased the new Fine Accoutrements SS safety razor. I do enjoy open edge shaving, but the majority of it will be done with my Feather SS razors and my new Monsieur Henry. If I invest in a new open edge razor it will probably be a Feather DX razor. I achieved a true BBS this morning with the Goldedge which was my goal! It’s still sharp, but I hate having to strop it and want absolutely nothing to do with sharpening/honing. I’m putting it up on the shelf. It’s time to return to what I love, shaving with my wonderful collection of safety razors and my replaceable blade Barber’s razors. So am I leaving open edge shaving? Not on your life! Will I spend money on one, yes, but it will be either a Feather DX or a Kai Captain Excelia. I’m grateful for the new skill acquisition which I’ll continue working on with my Barber’s razors.

Now I’d like to sing the praises of the Seki Feather AS-D2, and it’s predecessor the AS-D1, razors that used to represent the ultimate SS razor, prior to much of the modern artisan SS safety razor renaissance. That is until a crowd of newbs to DE shaving purchased it, did not discover its very narrow sweet spot, and pronounced it “mild”! The razor, understandably, was designed to accommodate the company’s very sharp Feather DE blade. According to “Refined Shave”, a Health/Beauty blade testing organization, the Feather DE Blade is the sharpest blade on the planet by a wide margin, followed not so closely by the Nacet. Seki’s challenge was to design a blade holder that tamed their incredibly sharp DE blade. Their first effort, the AS-D1, which had true negative blade exposure, erred too far on the side of mildness. Their second effort, however, the AS-D2 has neutral blade exposure, and is an incredibly efficient shaver for those who take the time to master it.

My health is no longer as robust as it once was, and over the past year I’ve been hospitalized twice, once for almost a week and a half. Being of Mediterranean extraction (Italian/Hungarian), I’ve always had a dense, heavy beard. My razor of choice to shear away 10 days of growth on both dome and face is the AS-D2, equipped with its signature blade. I find myself smiling when I read commentaries exhorting the heavy denseness of the writer’s beard and the AS-D2’s failure while loaded with a suboptimal DE blade (virtually any other non-Feather DE blade except maybe the Nacet) to shave effectively. This razor, when mastered, is capable of consistent irritation-free VBBS shaves, as it again delivered for me this morning. I feel refreshed, cool, clean and extremely velveteen!

RAZOR: Double Duck Goldedge (Mug), AS-D2 (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE (2)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Mentholated Mysterium Serum.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

A Teutonic shave today: ERN Crown & Sword Barber's Favorite, Tabac soap, small scuttle, custom Shavemac brush, Tabac EdC:

SOTD170720.jpg
SOTD170720.jpg (110.01 KiB) Viewed 2852 times
I can't help trying to connect the dots, sudoku style. This razor says it''s a "Barbers Favorite" - note the American spelling of "Favorite" - so I assume it was thus inscribed for export to America. Yet on the back of the shank, it says "Wald - Germany" (Wald is a suburb of Solingen), rather than "Made in Germany" so it must have gone to the USA before the 1891 implementation of the 1890 Tariff Act.
This razor achieves a nice kind of edge. Cuts whatever is before it, yet never cuts skin, no matter how hard I press, or how carelessly I use it. Not bad at all, though I prefer to live a bit closer to the edge of excessive sharpness.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

C7A34BE5-F899-4BF2-A72B-D8BA84133DBC.jpeg
C7A34BE5-F899-4BF2-A72B-D8BA84133DBC.jpeg (3.6 MiB) Viewed 2838 times
SOTD SATURDAY, JULY 18, 2020

Today I had planned to originally do the entire shave with just my Seki Feather AS-D2. however, my new barber’s razor, the Monsieur Charles was beckoning me from the straight razor shelf. And quite frankly I was interested in why users raved about this quite inexpensive barber’s razor. I traded a Viking Chieftain TTO which I’d never used for it. The recipient had not used the Monsieur Charles(MC) either.

What is immediately apparent upon picking up the MC razor is its heft in the hand. The blade and tang are much beefier than the Dovo Shavette’s and a few other comparably priced barber’s razors. Heftwise, it felt almost identical to my straights, if not even a bit heavier than the Dovo Special in hand. But what I like most about this razor is that it uses injector blades of which I have many. The shave was a delight. The result was a DFS++ which I’m more than content with for a first bloodless run with a new open edge razor.

I was initially concerned with the length of the blade, but it actually works well. One of my issues when I first started down the open edge journey was the length of the blade on my Dovo Special which led to some minor nicks around the ears. The MC blade design avoids this entirely! I found that housing the blade at the toe end is quite clever. Three passes (WTG, ATG, XTG) were a breeze, and trimming around the goat a piece of cake! I like this razor, and the replacement cost is nominal.

The Feather AS-D2 sheared through my dome stubble in its usual effortless, muted manner. A shave brother who doesn’t use Feathers in his AS-D2 describes his shave experience with the razor singing the “buttered toast” song as it did it’s work. My usage is always silent due to the sharpness of the Feather blade. Its usual two pass (WTG, ATG) always feels like I’m just brushing away the lather. This razor is definitely one of the stars of my 27 actively used safety razors. I just love the skin feel of a freshly shaved dome after using a great safety razor! The feeling can only be described as refreshed, cool, clean, and oh so velveteen!

RAZOR: Monsieur Charles (Mug), Seki Feather AS-D2 (Dome)
BLADE: Schick B-20 Proline (Mug), Feather DE (2) (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Rabid Banana Preshave Cube
BRUSH: Rearden Razor 316L SS Synthetic
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

TI damascus buffalo horn, Plisson soap in briarwood bowl (a 'bole bowl'?), Simpson Major (sharp eyes will note it isn't my usual Somerset Major, but a spare IoM Major), Pecksniff's Oriental Woody (a copy of Trumper Sandalwood):

SOTD180720.jpg
SOTD180720.jpg (106.72 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
This 2004 razor was TI's second damascus, and the first sold to the public. Extremely fine pattern welding means you have to look closely at the hand-forged blade to even see it is damascus. They left the steel a bit too hard in my opinion and I've never enjoyed the edges I got on this razor until I introduced it to the Arkansas stones, and now it sings! And a teaser for you, I have honed and ready for tomorrow, TI's first damascus razor, limited to a run of five examples and sold to five of the original members of the Yahoo SRP.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue 620
Valobra stick
Rockwell 6S
Medical Prep
Lucky Tiger
L'eau Boisee
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

TI 8/8 damascus ironwood (2004 limited edition of five), C&E Sandalwood, small scuttle, Simpson E3, Taylor's Sandalwood:

SOTD190720.jpg
SOTD190720.jpg (98.42 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
The five razors were sold through Ray DuPont at classicshaving.com, and even though all were spoken for, he couldn't resist putting it up on his site. I kept an archive of it for the sake of provenance, and here's a screenshot:

and the full-size photo that was linked:

Now I have to confess I was not one of the original five lucky owners. A year after he had bought it, John Crowley, who ran shavingshop.com, sold it to me for what it cost him. For all it's size, it's a very thin and lightweight blade, with a rather awkward spindly little shank. It's a b*stard to hone, but once sharp it stays sharp, thank goodness!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Semogue Torga C5
Valobra hard soap
Rockwell 6S razor
Personna Medical
Lucky Tiger splash
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Sunday night:

Razor: Rockwell 6C (on setting/plate 2)
Blade: Tíz (excellent blade from Iran)

Brush: Semogue 2015 (silvertip)
Soap: Tim's Soap, Prototype S6

Lather made on top of the soap
Two-and-a-half passes

Aftershave: Cold water rinse and Thayer's Peach Witch Hazel

- Murray