SOTD August 31 - September 6, 2020

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
John Rose

Re: SOTD August 31 - September 6, 2020

Post by John Rose »

A ’crathadh Dihaoine - Sept. 4
SOTD 2020 09 04_0805.jpg
SOTD 2020 09 04_0805.jpg (908.48 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
prep - shower with Caprina Fresh Goat’s Milk Original Formula bar soap
razor - Edwin Jagger DE87
blade - Shaverboy Super Stainless (14)
brush - Simpson Wee Scot ("Och, I could mak hundreds of sporran tassels wi' it")
soap - Stirling "Scots Pine Sheep" soap
post - warm water rinse, DSA “Pure & Natural” alum, cold water rinse
aftershave - Clubman Classic Vanilla, and lots of it
figurine: Royal Doulton HN 2361 "The Laird", 1967
tartan: Nova Scotia
music - streaming Tejano Tiempos Pasados - Always such happy-sounding music.

This was one of the most difficult shaves I've had in weeks or months.
By way of experiment, I made it through all three passes without once rubbing my face to check my progress. I did it all from the memory of which areas typically require more work.
So difficult to resist the urge to hunt for stubble. :cry:

I used a variation of my new lathering strategy, adding water to the soap puck in the tub until I have enough (lots of!) lather, then transferring it to the floating lather bowl to keep it warm. Before I would have charged the wet brush in the tub, but added more water in the lather bowl.

Results: DFS. The only area that could've used a teeny bit more work was on either side of the tip of my chin.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

They look like a very traditional Scottish band! :D
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

F99C308A-6BDC-40AD-A65F-16AD35D45A5C.jpeg
F99C308A-6BDC-40AD-A65F-16AD35D45A5C.jpeg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 2636 times
SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, SEPTEMBER 5, 2020

What a glorious morning for an old school shave! I’m really beginning to like this Lush Prince shaving cream. It leaves my mug feeling incredibly good post shave, and I think it’s going to become a keeper for all my straight razor shaves. Unfortunately, it’s too thick for my dome shave with the Colonial General V2. In fact, I wouldn’t recommend it for any safety razor shaver, particularly, cart shavers as it has the consistency of cold cream. But that’s never a problem because of the wonderful MWF lather built with my Jayaruh #372 Boar. I’ve swapped handles between my Silversmith and General, and think I’ll keep things that way.

My son, Ben, gave me two beautiful CKBA Damascus Straight razor’s for Father’s Day this year. He’s an amateur bladesmith who had them made by a master bladesmith operating out of Arizona. The steel measures only a 58-59 on the Rockwell scale, and as the smith himself admitted won’t hold an edge as long as a Sheffield, Solingen or Silver Steel blade will, but since I regularly touch up my straight razors biweekly on my jasper finishing stone, it’s not an issue for me. They both yield a lovely edge that’s a pleasure to shave with.

My shave this morning was awesome. I’ve dedicated a cheap synthetic brush tospread the Lush Prince cream on my mug. It does a much better job than my fingers since it doesn’t lather up as there's no soap in it. My slow three pass (WTG, ATG, XTG) face shave left me firmly ensconced in VBBS land. My one and 1/2 pass (ATG, ATG) noggin MWF shave delivered me to the same destination. When I began my straight razor journey it was with a great deal of trepidation given my mishap 5 yrs ago, but now I’m glad I did. There’s a leisurely, exactingquality to a good straight shave that I’ve really come to enjoy. I feel refreshed, clean, and really velveteen this morning! I wish all my shave brothers and sisters a great day today!

RAZOR: CKBA Damascus Koa Wood Scales 6/8 (Mug), Colonial General V2 Head mounted on Colonial Silversmith Handle (Dome)
BLADE: Feather Super AC (Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Rabid Banana Preshave Cube (Dome)
BRUSH: JR Custom Boar #372
SOAP/CREAM: Lush Prince Cream (Mug), Mitchell’s Wool Fat (Dome)
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings (Dome) followed by Humphrey’s Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Dovo 5/8 'Saturday' from a seven day set, homemade soap, Simpson Chubby 1, L'Artisan Parfumeur Al Oudh:

SOTD050920.jpg
SOTD050920.jpg (162.77 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Very satisfactory!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

SOTN Saturday
SOTN 2020 09 05_0807.JPG
SOTN 2020 09 05_0807.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 2623 times
prep - shower with Avon "Black Suede" Hair & Body Wash
razor - Gillette O2 Black-Handled SuperSpeed
blade - Shaverboy Super Stainless (15)
brush - Stirling 2-Band Synthetic
soap - Stirling Noir
post - warm water rinse, DSA “Pure & Natural” alum, cold water rinse
aftershave - Mennen Skin Bracer
music - streaming Radio Caprice Darkwave.
BBS, and why should it not be?
Thank you Batman, for your help. Don't drop it on your foot, okay?
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Dovo 5/8 "Sunday" from a seven day set, homemade soap, Vulfix 2 band, L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu:

SOTD060920.jpg
SOTD060920.jpg (106.97 KiB) Viewed 2617 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

E8363FA1-39B2-4991-9496-4D1370EADCE2.jpeg
E8363FA1-39B2-4991-9496-4D1370EADCE2.jpeg (4.18 MiB) Viewed 2613 times
SOTD SUNDAY MORNING, SEPTEMBER 6, 2020

I’d ask for help, as I slide down this straight razor rabbit hole, but I’m just having too much fun. The NOS Nichigi Tokusen by Diamond Hayashi Co. Of Tokyo arrived unexpectedly early yesterday. This particular razor is immaculate and was sent out by the previous owner for honing by Max Sprecher. A quick touch up on the Jasper stone followed by a quick session on the pasted strop last night, and I was ready for business this morning.

The shave was amazing! I get why folks are so enamored by Silver Steel Japanese razors. Three slow luxurious passes (WTG, ATG, XTG) and an effortless VBBS result. In fact, the post shave skin feel was so good from the Lush Prince shaving cream, I decided to forego the dome shave today. I didn’t understand smooth sharp until this particular shave.

This Prince shaving cream is a pretty amazing straight shaving accessory. Time to make the Michigan sauce for the clan gathering tomorrow. I’ll be shaving with this razor tomorrow! I feel cool, clean and very velveteen! In fact I can’t seem to stop touching my face. This was an unbelievably close face shave! Enjoy your Sunday and have a blessed day to all!

RAZOR: Nichigi Tokusen 6/8 by Diamond Hayashi Co. of Tokyo
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
CREAM: Lush Prince Shaving Cream
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Prince shave cream followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

C9945EE6-AA81-4774-B7FD-76945AAF0E99.jpeg
C9945EE6-AA81-4774-B7FD-76945AAF0E99.jpeg (3.64 MiB) Viewed 2603 times
SOTD MONDAY MORNING, SEPTEMBER 7, 2020

Yesterday’s shave was spectacular, but I’ve been troubled that my Feather SS razor was creating bad shaving angle habits. So I borrowed my son, Ben’s DX Barber’s Razor that was literally covered in dust. He hadn’t used it in years apparently, and had no interest in ever using it again. After shaving with it, I traded him an old Triumph Spitfire overdrive transmission of mine he’s wanted that I’ll never use and that he plans to adapt for his Triumph GT. It was just taking up space in my garage. We’re both happy. He’s got a 50 yr old gummed up transmission and I have a practically brand new Feather DX. As my friend Bill Morgan (@Edison Carter) said, it shaves and feels much more like a straight than the SS model I’d been using. After loading it and my Colonial General V2 with Feather Supers I was ready.

This morning I decided to shave both face and dome with Nancy Boy Signature shave cream. I still really like this cream, although it’s a bit thicker than I like for my mug shaves. Despite that all went well. The Feather DX is heavier in hand than the SS model, and without the SS lip surrounding the blade shaves at a much more natural straight razor shave angle.. This razor is a definite keeper. The shave was sharper than yesterday’s shave with the Nichiri Tokusen straight razor which I attribute to the Feather Super blade. Despite that, the three pass (WTG, ATG, XTG) sheared last night’s stubble right down to the skin line. I had one very minor set down error at the beginning of the shave because I began with the old Feather SS angle. Once I adjusted to a more traditional straight razor angle everything proceeded beautifully. The General delivered its usual flawless one and 1/2 pass (ATG, ATG) dome shave. I feel smooth, refreshed, cool, clean and velveteen! Enjoy your Labor Day shave brothers and sisters! Stay safe and healthy,

RAZOR: Feather DX Wood Scales (Mug), Colonial General V2 w/ Silversmith Handle (Dome)
BLADE: Feather Super AC (Mug & Dome)
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute w/ 26mm Two Band Badger Knot
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Dovo 5/8 "Monday" from a set, homemade soap, Omega boar, Trumper Spanish Leather:

SOTD070920.jpg
SOTD070920.jpg (102.68 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace