SOTD November 23 - November 29

Top of the morning to ya! Post pics and descriptions of your daily shaving gear and accessories!
Mike R

SOTD November 23 - November 29

Post by Mike R »

Monday

Brush: Made Rite Pure Bristle #5
Cream: Derby Stick
Razor: '52 Super Speed
Blade: Dorco ST300
A/S: Dollar Store Splash - Green / "Original"
Cologne / Fragrance: Drakkar Noir

Mike
pausted

Re: SOTD November 23 - November 29

Post by pausted »

Crabtree & Evelyn Moroccan Myrrh soap
Semogue Mistura brush
Colonial General razor
Kai Captain Original blade
Dominica Bay Rum
Best regards,

Basil
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Livi Damasteel 7/8 briarwood, Klar Kabinett Sport, Simpson Major, L'Artisan Parfumeur Vetiver:

SOTD231120.jpg
SOTD231120.jpg (168.82 KiB) Viewed 4006 times
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

6EFD59E7-24E5-4AAC-9A89-C721DE64F797.jpeg
6EFD59E7-24E5-4AAC-9A89-C721DE64F797.jpeg (3.65 MiB) Viewed 4004 times
SOTD MONDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 23, 2020

This morning’s dome shave was fun! The one safety razor I love tinkering with is my 2011 Muhle R41. I ditched the original handle years ago, and have tried several others. The Weber SS handle paired with the razor today seems perfect for it. It’s heft, weight and length felt ideal for me. One bloodless ATG pass put the baby to bed. The regular dome trouble spot in the back of my noggin was sheared right down to the skin line. The dome shave was every bit as good, if not better than the one achieved with my AC safety razors, and in fact only matched by my Shake Sharp!

My mug shave also checked all the boxes. Rather than my usual three pass traditional shave, I decided to try something different this morning by dropping the usual first WTG pass. The buttery smooth silver steel Tanifuji Airi delivered a two pass (ATG, XTG) shave that achieved the same result as my usual three pass one, despite what I thought was a weeper below my right ear (red on the blade). However, as seems to regularly be the case with MWF, it disappeared after the second lather. In any case, I feel clean, velveteen smooth and refreshed!

RAZOR: Tanifuji Airi 11/16 (Mug), Muhle 2011 R41 w/ Weber SS Handle
BLADE: Feather DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: MrEE Knurled Aluminum Handle Hybrid Knot #007
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & Thyme Aftershave Balm.
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Robert William's The Purist, homemade soap in large scuttle, Simpson PJ3, Trumper Wellington:

SOTD241120.jpg
SOTD241120.jpg (145.78 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
Once again, the coticule-only shave is very sharp, very close, and a little raw. No doubt it will sort out with a few days of stropping for double the usual. And maybe then the razor would shave close and comfortable for weeks or months. I had heard that coticule-only shaves were said to be very comfortable, but maybe not the closest, and I'm seeing results exactly the other way round. I bet a coticule followed by a few swipes on green paste would be nice, assuming one pass on paste is equal to about 40 passes on canvas.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
pausted

Post by pausted »

TOBS Lavender soap
Semogue Mistura brush
Colonial General razor
Feather Pro blade
Dominica Bay Rum
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

AOS tallow Sandalwood soap + Semogue 2000 boar = excellent shave
SOTD 24Nov20 AOS Sandalwood soap.jpg
SOTD 24Nov20 AOS Sandalwood soap.jpg (1002.7 KiB) Viewed 3978 times
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

EB97EB82-ED11-4D3C-BD90-A9D1D735C44E.jpeg
EB97EB82-ED11-4D3C-BD90-A9D1D735C44E.jpeg (3.14 MiB) Viewed 3952 times
SOTD WEDNESDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 25, 2020

SWMBO and I have a condo in Philly we had not visited since February of this year. My daughter visited it yesterday to report on its condition, and also retrieved my nickel plated Shake Sharp Model 2.0 safety razor. This morning’s dome shave featured it with two stacked Feather blades. I own three Shake Sharps. Used to have 5, but gifted one to a friend at TSD and the other to a friend in one of the FB wet shaving groups. They are remarkable head shavers, and this morning’s dome shave was incredibly close and velveteen. My mug shave featured my Frederick Reynolds which never fails to deliver a great shave. The JR Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger generated great MWF lathers leaving me refreshed, clean and velveteen smooth.

RAZOR: Frederick Reynolds 5/8 (Mug), Nickel G.E. Jones Shake Sharp Model 2.0 (Dome)
BLADE: 2 Stacked Feather DE
BRUSH: JR Custom Rosewood Silvertip Badger
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Continuing an experiment in coticule honing of not overly-hard O1 steel, here is a Hart 7/8, honed on the coticule, then given 20 passes on green chrome, and stropped. Soap is Plisson in a lovely briarwood bowl (actually a bowl made from a bole!), Rooney finest and Trumper Curzon:

SOTD261120.jpg
SOTD261120.jpg (150.97 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

A4844C50-DDF5-4595-9D63-FC0E0D2A722E.jpeg
A4844C50-DDF5-4595-9D63-FC0E0D2A722E.jpeg (3.23 MiB) Viewed 3936 times
SOTD THURSDAY, THANKSGIVING MORNING, NOVEMBER 26, 2020

Although it was a bit overcast, my shave this morning was exemplary! The 5/8 Puma 88 Special never lets me down. The Ronson Safety razor loaded with a Schick Proline B-20 also delivered the goods. I feel clean, cool, velveteen smooth and refreshed. Our Thanksgiving meal in these plague times is being hosted by my oldest son, Ben. It’s a much smaller meal this year. Ben’s oldest daughter, Jennifer, will never be joining our Thanksgiving table again. She was killed by a drunk driver three months ago, but her sweet daughter, Lily Ellen, my first great granddaughter will. Despite all that we have much to be thankful for. My second oldest son, Sam, is a first responder who survived Covid, and thankfully all my other children and grandchildren are healthy and safe, although not joining us at table this year due to my and SWMBO’s immunocompromised selves. So zoom it will be. Happy Thanksgiving to all my shave brothers and sisters.

RAZOR: Puma 88 Special 5/8 (Mug), Ronson Safety Razor (Dome)
BLADE: Schick Proline B-20 Injector
BRUSH: Sapele/Resin Handled Pro48 Boar
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Pre de Provence Bergamot & ThymeBalm.
pausted

Post by pausted »

Thanksgiving Day shave

DR Harris Arlington soap
WCS Tuxedo synthetic brush
Colonial General razor
Feather Pro blade
Dominica Bay Rum

Great shave! One would need to search long and hard to find a better soap than DRH.
Best regards,

Basil
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Final day with the Hart 7/8, honed at first with a coticule, then with the addition of green chrome paste, and finally with the Spyderco UF. Clearly better with the UF than with chrome paste. Homemade soap in a large scuttle, Omega boar, and Penhaligon Opus 1870:

SOTD271120.jpg
SOTD271120.jpg (167.31 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

So the UF beats crox on comfort?

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

To be fair coticule>chrome>UF beats coticule>chrome. Now coticule>chrome>UF>chrome would be the next logical step if I wanted to be that thorough. I'm sure it's just that the chrome paste is too fine to do much to a coticule edge. Maybe it would add something to a UF edge.

The lesson here, at least for me, is that the coticule only edge is so damn sharp. It cuts like blazes, leaves you glassy smooth, but just a bit over-exfoliated.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

And moving back to the very best, W&B chopper, Ada's Soap Shop Santalum, Rooney Finest, Trumper Sandalwood:

SOTD281120.jpg
SOTD281120.jpg (139.95 KiB) Viewed 3664 times
I'm not sure of the status of Ada's Soaps. Made by Patrick Jilek when he lived in Alberta, and stearate based, they are very good. Last I heard he had moved to BC, and was making small batches for a local non-profit. This one is scented with real sandalwood and complements the Trumper nicely.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

1195F50A-C926-448A-AA6D-58DA1FD2E3CD.jpeg
1195F50A-C926-448A-AA6D-58DA1FD2E3CD.jpeg (3.09 MiB) Viewed 3662 times
SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 28, 2020

It was a bit of a difficult shave this morning. I fell and fractured two ribs on my right side playing pickle ball yesterday afternoon. So my shave was a bit painful! Looks like I’ll be sleeping sitting up for a few weeks. Nevertheless, despite all that, my shave this morning. I picked two razors I’ve enjoyed my shaves with, but have neglected of late, one a vintage straight razor, my Vintage Lord 6/8 with its buttery smooth jasper edge, and the other my Seki AS-D2 safety razor, a sadly misunderstood shaving tool.

The AS-D2 is frequently referred to as a “mild” safety razor by those who have never taken the time to learn its very narrow sweet spot. However, equipped with a Feather DE which it was designed around, it can handle any beard type. I used mine to effortlessly take down two weeks of mug and dome growth after ahospitalization about a year ago. This morning’s shave while somewhat uncomfortable, easily delivered me to velveteen smoothness! I feel cool, clean, refreshed and velveteen.

RAZOR: Lord 6/8 (Mug), Seki AS-D2 (Dome)
BLADE: Feather DE
BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 w/ 26mm Two Band Badger Ferrule
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH and Osage Rub.
pausted

Post by pausted »

AOS tallow sandalwood soap
SilkSmoke synthetic brush
Merkur 34G razor
Nacet blade
Dominica Bay Rum
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

The dominant boar Semogue 2000 brush is feather soft due to the extremely separated tips. This contributes to a daily shave that meets all of my expectations and perceptions.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444