Finding our best shaving tools

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
brothers

Finding our best shaving tools

Post by brothers »

jgreenepa wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:10 am SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 20, 2021

I realize that I’m a terrible example to new wet shavers with the way I switch up shave equipment daily. The only consistency in my shaves is my daily use of MWF. The key to success in wet shaving is sticking with the same razor, brush and soap for at least 30 days. In fact one of the better known online shave forums has a process called the thirty day concentration with a corresponding thread called the 30DC dedicated to helping newer wet shavers master wet shaving, or even a newer piece of shave hardware or software they may be struggling with. Mentors on that thread provide guidance and direction to the struggling newbie. Yours truly shaved with the same Schick Krona originally purchased in a PX in 1968 for almost 5 decades. So I give myself a pass.

The above is a good example of encouragement for those among us who've found themselves in a state of confusion, seemingly buying new stuff - much too often and at great expense - based on glowing reviews, only to become more confused but still hoping to come across that one or two thing that seems just right. This is proof that the grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence.

It took me about 10 years of fiddling around with all the stuff that someone somewhere has praised in a positive review. It's mostly all good, and we seem to always be on the lookout for something that works, as most of the new stuff is these days, which is good!

A couple of years ago I stumbled onto a couple of items that just seemed to fit my bill after all of the years of searching. As of right now, I'm quite satisfied with my small assortment of shaving tools and products as currently listed below in every post I've made here at SMF. The upside to this occurrence was the realization that I could and should sell off a metric ton of brushes, razors, soaps, creams, and blades that I had acquired over 10 years of searching. I am fortunate to have found all of the shaving gear that I am happily satisfied to use every single day, year in and year out. I did not cut everything down to one single item, but I did put a stop to my willy-nilly searching and buying this or that new product.

I have and use several brands of soap and cream that I prefer, and plural fragrances of each that I prefer. One safety razor, 4 brushes, two razor blade brands, and one aftershave splash. I've never acquired the perfumes so that's never been a problem. I happen to love old straight razors and didn't sell off any of the 30 or so that I have, but I did decide to only use the 4 or 5 favorite straight razors whenever I decide to use one. Apparently some guys may evangelize about a miracle of using a given shave tool for a specific number of days and pronouncing it perfect. To each his own and good hunting!

PS: regarding the Schick Krona, I got mine in 1969 when Uncle Sam sent me far away. It finally wore completely out about 13 years ago and I was forced to launch my own personal search for shaving nirvana.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Re: Finding our best shaving tools

Post by John Rose »

And of course, things change over time.

I had pretty much settled on a few razors, brushes, and even fewer brands of blades. (Astra SP, Shaverboy). I'd like to have a bigger variety of soaps and aftershaves, but not being able to smell them first kinda' puts the brakes on that.

However, I bought a Henson AL13 Mild a short while ago, and decided to try it with a Feather blade left over from a blade sampler bundle. I didn't much care for Feathers before, but by golly they're great in the Henson, so I ordered some more. Now I'm using them in an Edwin Jagger DE87 too.

Another thing was that I used to say "Friends don't let friends shave with Proraso Green croap", for years. I did not understand it's appeal, performance or scent-wise. More recently I'd been using twice as much just of to get rid of it faster, and suddenly my opinion changed. It performs pretty well now, and the scent is fine. I even went so far as to get the matching AS splash. It doesn't smell exactly the same as the croap, but I do quite like it.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

John, I can't begin to imagine using the Henson razor with a Feather blade. Mine bites with the supplied Astra blade, and slightly less with the more forgiving Treet Dura Sharp. A more aggressive blades just seems to be asking for trouble. You are obviously more compatible with this razor than I am.

- Murray
jgreenepa

Post by jgreenepa »

brothers wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:23 pm
jgreenepa wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:10 am SOTD SATURDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 20, 2021

I realize that I’m a terrible example to new wet shavers with the way I switch up shave equipment daily. The only consistency in my shaves is my daily use of MWF. The key to success in wet shaving is sticking with the same razor, brush and soap for at least 30 days. In fact one of the better known online shave forums has a process called the thirty day concentration with a corresponding thread called the 30DC dedicated to helping newer wet shavers master wet shaving, or even a newer piece of shave hardware or software they may be struggling with. Mentors on that thread provide guidance and direction to the struggling newbie. Yours truly shaved with the same Schick Krona originally purchased in a PX in 1968 for almost 5 decades. So I give myself a pass.

The above is a good example of encouragement for those among us who've found themselves in a state of confusion, seemingly buying new stuff - much too often and at great expense - based on glowing reviews, only to become more confused but still hoping to come across that one or two thing that seems just right. This is proof that the grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence.

It took me about 10 years of fiddling around with all the stuff that someone somewhere has praised in a positive review. It's mostly all good, and we seem to always be on the lookout for something that works, as most of the new stuff is these days, which is good!

A couple of years ago I stumbled onto a couple of items that just seemed to fit my bill after all of the years of searching. As of right now, I'm quite satisfied with my small assortment of shaving tools and products as currently listed below in every post I've made here at SMF. The upside to this occurrence was the realization that I could and should sell off a metric ton of brushes, razors, soaps, creams, and blades that I had acquired over 10 years of searching. I am fortunate to have found all of the shaving gear that I am happily satisfied to use every single day, year in and year out. I did not cut everything down to one single item, but I did put a stop to my willy-nilly searching and buying this or that new product.

I have and use several brands of soap and cream that I prefer, and plural fragrances of each that I prefer. One safety razor, 4 brushes, two razor blade brands, and one aftershave splash. I've never acquired the perfumes so that's never been a problem. I happen to love old straight razors and didn't sell off any of the 30 or so that I have, but I did decide to only use the 4 or 5 favorite straight razors whenever I decide to use one. Apparently some guys may evangelize about a miracle of using a given shave tool for a specific number of days and pronouncing it perfect. To each his own and good hunting!

PS: regarding the Schick Krona, I got mine in 1969 when Uncle Sam sent me far away. It finally wore completely out about 13 years ago and I was forced to launch my own personal search for shaving nirvana.
Same story for me about the Krona, Gary, but mine lasted for a little more than 5 decades before giving up the ghost!
De Gustibus Non Disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

jgreenepa wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:40 am
Same story for me about the Krona, Gary, but mine lasted for a little more than 5 decades before giving up the ghost!
:D Ha! Yes sir, Jeff, mine only lasted 39 years, must have been a lemon! :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I am quite minimalist. It is for shaving, my first razor, Merkur 34, it is still my best. Have always been. Thank for visiting this forum, I searched others, but never better.

I found out soon that my growth did not need Feather blade. For winter time no better than red personnas.

I found the badger shave brushes that I have 3. I rotate all, but I did not buy more and I dont like one as much as 2 others.

This forum is important, for history sake and also because it does not seem care of the how much you buy stuff or where you belong. I don't belong in any social media.
Jarmo
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I understand the sentiments expressed here, and I think the advice for new shavers is especially good. I have definite software favorites, and I found the particular brushes that I like the most and have stuck with them. However, I'm now ana experienced shaver; and for me the enjoyment of exploration and experimentation, and the pleasure of having a different shaving experience each day by using a variety of equipment and products, are just as important to me as finding the 'best' gear. The 'journey' is most important to me.
_______
John