Today's Shave and Razor Burn

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
poetman

Today's Shave and Razor Burn

Post by poetman »

Okay, so here's the routine. I showered, used conditioner on my beard area, then gently exfoiated with apricot scrub. I micorowaved a cup of water--warm lather makes a GREAT difference. Then, I applied "King of Shaves" shave oil, then C&E Nomad cream. I then put a hot towel on my face for 2 min. I took the towel off, put warm water on the face, more pre shae oil, then lathered up. I shaved very lightly with my M3. I did pass 1 with the grain, pass2 West to East, and pass 3 againt the grain at an angle--as in Mantic's video. And still some razor burn--on my cheeks and low neck. At this point, I feel almost convinced that the Mach 3 is to blame. Even as I was shaving, it felt like the hairs were being pulled!
Why all the burn?
Then after the shave, I washed my face with warm water to ease the skin and remove the excess lather. I then used cold water to refresh. With my face still damp, I applied the Nomad aftershave. Once my face dried I applied Oil of Olay cream--that is a miracle product! Before I left for work, I put on cologne, and bam, burning again! Yet, this burning sensation felt oddly needed. As if my pores closed or something? Is the burning sensation from after shave/cologne to be desired? And how to I get rid of this razor burn before the cologne? I have razor burn right after the shave, and then it burns again when I apply cologne (persumably from the algohol). M3's are awful!
Thanks as always!

-Smooth face, burning skin
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

With all of those steps, let's look at "less is more". Don't use the scrub before shaving. Shaving itself is exfoliating. Try skipping the pre-shave oil. It may be keeping the shaving cream from doing it's job. And finally, you may be having a reaction to the shaving cream itself. Nomad carries a heavy scent, and you may have an allergy to it.

Do you plan to stick with the Mach 3? Multi-blades increase the odds of razor burn. I would suggest looking at the Merkur HD Classic or the Progress.

Oh, don't apply cologne to your freshly shaved face. Apply it to your upper chest.

Keep working at it and keep us posted on your progress.
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Ben

Post by Ben »

rtaylor61 wrote:Don't use the scrub before shaving. Shaving itself is exfoliating.
Indeed. You've already irritated your skin before the shave.
Hell-bent ... hell-bent for Feather!

"As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit."
— Dr. Gonzo, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
LGWapnitsky

Post by LGWapnitsky »

I use the apricot scrub once or twice a week as part of my routine...mostly on Mondays after a long weekend of not shaving and building my beard. If anything, I get slightly better shaves on those days (it may be the new blade as well).

Part of the issue might be the multiple applications of shaving oil. Is it possible you have an allergy to it, or just a negative skin reactions?

In addition, the M3 could be your biggest culprit. I found that once I switched to my Merkur Slant (and now Merkur Vision), razor burn was a thing of the past.

I'm a sensitive skin shave and have found many products that irritate, but also some that alleviate. Search for some of my previous posts. If not, I'd be glad to share my secrets.

-Larry
poetman

Post by poetman »

I though the apricot scrub in the shower would help. This cuold be too much. I tought the pre shave oil would provide extra lubricant. Does it conflict with shaving cream? I ordered an HD and sample blades from Letter K. Everything should be arriving sometime this week--hopefully. I've always used the M3 relunctantly, as I've felt that most creams shold be comprable one to the other, but any major discomfort, such as what I experience (and that feeling of the hairs being pulled) have to be due to the M3. The blades dull rather quick for me--after 3 uses.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

A scrub product before shaving is a recipe for irritation. Try not using it and see what happens. Shaving is exfoliation already. Twice in one day is overdoing it. I know some people like it, but IMO they are an exception.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I think use of a pre-scrub depends on a number of factors related to ones individual type of skin. I use Sharp's Daily Foaming Face Scrub lightly in the shower prior to shaving - and I get great shaves - but I only use it during the summer months when my skin is oilier. In the winter, it is not as beneficial to my skin and therefore is not used.

Some pre-shave oils can actually cause drag in the razor if there is not enough water present - so I'd ditch the pre-shave oil. If you want a really good pre-shave try the Feather Pre-Shave. It is water based and will not cause any buildup or harm to your brush. It also, adds an effective slickness to your shave.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
ScottS

Re: Today's Shave and Razor Burn

Post by ScottS »

poetman wrote: I shaved very lightly with my M3. I did pass 1 with the grain, pass2 West to East, and pass 3 againt the grain at an angle--as in Mantic's video. And still some razor burn--on my cheeks and low neck. At this point, I feel almost convinced that the Mach 3 is to blame. Even as I was shaving, it felt like the hairs were being pulled!
Why all the burn?
Thing 1 is to skip pass three, and maybe even pass 2, until you get comfortable with your shave. Without a stable starting point, it doesn't make much sense to shoot for the moon.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

blueasajewel wrote:I think use of a pre-scrub depends on a number of factors related to ones individual type of skin. I use Sharp's Daily Foaming Face Scrub lightly in the shower prior to shaving - and I get great shaves - but I only use it during the summer months when my skin is oilier. In the winter, it is not as beneficial to my skin and therefore is not used.

Some pre-shave oils can actually cause drag in the razor if there is not enough water present - so I'd ditch the pre-shave oil. If you want a really good pre-shave try the Feather Pre-Shave. It is water based and will not cause any buildup or harm to your brush. It also, adds an effective slickness to your shave.
+1.
I've used Neutrogena Razor Defense Daily Scrub on days I have without showering but I don't think its a "scrub" in the classic sense.

And I've tried KOS pre-shave oil and found it counter-productive.

--Mark
SteveL

Re: Today's Shave and Razor Burn

Post by SteveL »

ScottS wrote:
poetman wrote: I shaved very lightly with my M3. I did pass 1 with the grain, pass2 West to East, and pass 3 againt the grain at an angle--as in Mantic's video. And still some razor burn--on my cheeks and low neck. At this point, I feel almost convinced that the Mach 3 is to blame. Even as I was shaving, it felt like the hairs were being pulled!
Why all the burn?
Thing 1 is to skip pass three, and maybe even pass 2, until you get comfortable with your shave. Without a stable starting point, it doesn't make much sense to shoot for the moon.
I agree with this!!! You definitely should cut down on the number of passes for a while. More passes definitely leads to greater irritation. Also, pay close attention to how the grain of your beard runs on your neck as most are quite strange and can even change directions. A cross the grain pass for one part of your neck may be a totally different direction for another part.

While generic cut patterns are great to get started with, you don't neccessarily want to do them all at first. Moreover, they do need to be tweaked a bit to your face in terms of direction, especially on the neck.

Also, I would give a DE a shot. Once you get past the learning curve it's a great shave. What do you have to lose, it's not like they cost a lot. You can get one for less than 8 Fusion cartridges.
-Steve
DisposableGuy

Back to Basics

Post by DisposableGuy »

I know this might be too obvious but we sometimes can overlook something...

i use mach3 and luv it, doesnt give me any problems and i get a good shave but make sure even if the razor is new it isnt blunt. It can be hard to tell. A blunt mach3 razor may cut fine for most of the face but it will give you irritation and razor burn if its blunt or even if its starting to get blunt

...i learnt the hard way ;-)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:I think use of a pre-scrub depends on a number of factors related to ones individual type of skin. I use Sharp's Daily Foaming Face Scrub lightly in the shower prior to shaving - and I get great shaves - but I only use it during the summer months when my skin is oilier. In the winter, it is not as beneficial to my skin and therefore is not used. ...
Ditto. I use a scrub more during the summer months than winter. With this year's greenhouse effect up here in Canada (we are still waiting for decent snow in our local ski areas across Ontario and Quebec) I have been able to scrub more frequently without incident because of the milder weather.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

FWIW I would ditch the exfoliation part and keep it simple. I do find preshave oil softens my beard and lubricates giving me a better shave but only use it once and give it a minute or two to soak into your skin. I seem to be one of the dissenting voices on the oil argument but I have very dry skin and it works very well for me. If you have oily or normal skin you may not feel the benefit. I would also recommend using a toner after you have shaved to close the pores. Again this works very well for me but others miss this step or use an alum block. I would try going back to basics and gradually build up your regime if you feel the need. You will then probably be able to identify the cause of your razor burn. As for the Mach 3, I found that the lubristrip used to irritate my skin on top of the multiple drag of 3 blades. Nothing could convince me to ever use one again after using a DE.

Tony
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
canman23

Post by canman23 »

I dont think the exfoliating step is needed nust before the shave. When you shave you are also exfoliating your face. I shave in the shower with a MACH 3 (for now got a straight razor on the way) and I dont use the preshave oil. I have in the past but really I dont think you need it. You may be applying to much preasure with the razor so check that the next shave. When I finish my shave I use Anthony Oil free moisturizer and it leaves my skin feeling great and no oil to clog my pores. I have sensative skin but doing all these things I get no razor burn. I also use ZIRH shave cream which is made with aloe vera and really makes a difference to my skin.
John 5

Post by John 5 »

While this type of issue is where YMMV really tends to apply, I second ditching any pre-shave exfoliation. By exfoliating, all you are doing is removing skin and thereby lowering the threshold at which irritation and other problems come out and play. A multi pass DE shave can be tailored to give you just the right amount of exfoliation, leaving you with skin as clean and clear as is healthy.

I must say that I do use scrubs, but only on off-days when I purposefully skip shaving. On shaving days, I only use a gentle facial cleanser, such as Cetaphil and the like. And this is only because I usually shower and shave after hitting the gym and running a few miles. But if it’s an exercise free day, I usually skip pre-shave facial cleansers all
together.

John