Help - New Routine is Still Not Working

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Starbuck1975

Post by Starbuck1975 »

Well this morning was my first go with using T&H Ultimate Comfort Shaving Cream, and all I can say is...wow and what a difference.

Gave my face a break over the weekend in preparation for this morning's shave,

I cut everything else out of the equation...soap, conditioner, pre-shave stuff. Put on a fresh clean blade, took a nice hot shower, and only used the T&H cream...and a little bit of Proraso after shave balm.

First observation is just how well the T&H cream lathered compared to the Proraso...a dime amount of cream was enough for three passes.

Second, the blade glide was incredible...I didn't have to apply any pressure, and managed to get a very close shave within two passes without ever having to cut against the grain...with a third pass for touch-up only.

It is now close to 4pm, which is usually when my ingrown hairs and razor burn starts to kick into discomfort mode...no irritation whatsoever.

Something else I considered over the weekend...the Aveeno moisturizer I was using has feverfew in it, which I might be having a reaction to as well. The Proraso after shave balm didn't cause any reaction, so I think either the menthol in the Proraso shaving cream or the Feverfew in the Aveeno moisturizer were adding to the problem. The Proraso after shave balm doesn't have menthol, which is why I kept it in the equation.

Will definitely keep the T&H cream in the rotation, but may also go with the Nivea after shave balm for sensitive skin, as it has no addatives or perfumes...just vitamin E and some other ingredients that I know won't cause a reaction.

In the end, simplifies my routine to a few basic items, all of which are formulated for sensitive skin...I have extensive skin allergies to many plants and perfumes, and never really considered that as a source of my problems in addition to poor shaving technique.
tonyespo
The Goldfather

Post by tonyespo »

Starbuck, I'm not a big fan of the opencomb razor. I feel the teeth can cause a scratching effect on your skin. They shouldn't, but they could. Do you have a non opencomb razor that you can try out?
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

It seems that simplifying is putting you on the right track. Now that you're having a much better experience, I would not change anything for a while. Settle into this and groove your technique. That way you'll eliminate what could be a major issue.

When you start experimenting, change only one thing at a time, so if you have a problem you know what caused it. If something new works, use it for a few days just to be sure.

Good luck.
Joe
dasein_geist

Post by dasein_geist »

Joe Lerch wrote:It seems that simplifying is putting you on the right track. Now that you're having a much better experience, I would not change anything for a while. Settle into this and groove your technique. That way you'll eliminate what could be a major issue.

When you start experimenting, change only one thing at a time, so if you have a problem you know what caused it. If something new works, use it for a few days just to be sure.

Good luck.
Very sage advice...

Starbuck1975,

Congratulations, on getting to the bottom of your problems. Best of luck...
- Sean -

"What am I afraid of? I'll tell you: a feather. that's right, a feather...did I say it was a poison feather?"
-- Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]
Starbuck1975

Post by Starbuck1975 »

Not sure if I have discovered the bottom of my problems, but it does seem that simplifying things a bit did help.

I tried using the Aveeno moisturizer last night, independent of shaving, and sure enough, this morning I woke up with bumps I was attributing to shaving...so my assumption is that my face doesn't like the feverfew.

As for the razor, when I purchased it, the sales clerk at the knife shop said that open comb is better for heavier growth...but others have said that it does provide for a more aggressive shave. I have been toying with the idea of going with the Merkur Progress.
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

The Progress is an excellent choice, but there's no reason to change now unless the open comb causes problems. THe only thing I can think of where the Progress might make a difference now is if the open comb was too aggressive for you and was holding you back. You could then use the Progress at a very low setting to avoid that issue. Most likely the razor's not too aggressive. I would try it now that you've eliminated the Aveeno.

Rather than introducing a new aftershave (and possibly new problems), you might try just using lots of cold water and some witch hazel, again simplification.
Joe
Starbuck1975

Post by Starbuck1975 »

Not sure witch hazel is the answer either...I used to use a witch hazel based toner, and had a reaction to it...like I said, I have skin allergies to just about everything green or plant based under the sun...so it is sometimes hard for me to determine what I am having a reaction to, and most shaving based products have some form of plantlife mixed in.
Seanholio

Post by Seanholio »

Starbuck1975 wrote:4. Now here is the thing on technique. I know most say not to apply any pressure, but if I let the razor glide across my skin, as recommended, some of my stubble simply pushes the razor off my face...
Everything I've read on razor bounce here and at other shave forums indicates that you need more water if this is happening. Don't be afraid to mix up a super huge batch of lather with plenty of water and cream/soap involved.

-- Sean