What shave set do you recommend?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
kellman

What shave set do you recommend?

Post by kellman »

Hi: I'm trying to figure out what set to buy out there? There are too many available and I can't decide what I need. I have never done wet shaving before. Can you help?
yoyology
Captain Yo

Post by yoyology »

I highly recommend reading leisureguy's blog poston this topic.
Karl G. Siewert
Librarian and yo-yo enthusiast
Tulsa, OK

"Someday I'll find it, the BBS Connection, the razor, the stubble, and me."
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Hey kellman - Welcome to SMF!

Shave sets are nice to look at but very expensive - you can put both a nice looking set for a much more reasonable price with better performance. Check out Karl's link to get started.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

When I first started last year, I used a piece of hardwood for the handle and a trimmed section of tin can (a catfood can lid works best, but you can use whatever you can find). I didn't have a brush, but I could make a super slick 'lather' from congealed grease from various fast food places (McDucks was the best for this). For a mirror I'd just use a puddle of water I found because it could do triple duty; wet my face and keep it wet, rinse my blade and then bathe in. It sucked in the winter, but the late spring/summer was okay. As an ASB I'd once again use the fast food grease. This worked pretty well. I'd get rousted by the police from time to time because I'd be sharpening my 'blade' on the sidewalk, but my shaves were superb. There's nothing like the feeling of putting together your own shave kit from scratch.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I think you can usually end up with a more cost-effective set-up by buying the components individually rather than as an all-in-one package. YMMV, and certainly some of the sets seem nice. But read the post, in which I try to delineate the choices you have.
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

Tye wrote:When I first started last year, I used a piece of hardwood for the handle and a trimmed section of tin can (a catfood can lid works best, but you can use whatever you can find). I didn't have a brush, but I could make a super slick 'lather' from congealed grease from various fast food places (McDucks was the best for this). For a mirror I'd just use a puddle of water I found because it could do triple duty; wet my face and keep it wet, rinse my blade and then bathe in. It sucked in the winter, but the late spring/summer was okay. As an ASB I'd once again use the fast food grease. This worked pretty well. I'd get rousted by the police from time to time because I'd be sharpening my 'blade' on the sidewalk, but my shaves were superb. There's nothing like the feeling of putting together your own shave kit from scratch.

-Tye

:shock: :shock: Talk about starting at the bottom! :shock: :shock:

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Seriously, if you buy a good razor and a good brush, you don't need the other things. If you want a stand, choose your important items first and later get a stand that will fit them.
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

No "ready to go sets" for me either; i make my own shaving sets........ :wink:
Peter
kellman

Thanks guys!

Post by kellman »

So no already made up sets then. LeisureGuy seems to recommends the Merkur Vision over Merkur Future. What's your opinion on that? Any other one that you like?
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

No Merkur for me, although they are very good razors.

I rather prefer one of the adjustable Gillette DE's, together with a Shavemac silvertip, Rooney white, Plisson HMW or Simpsons super or best. Make your choice... :)
Peter
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

If I were to choose a Merkur to begin with I'd go with the Progress myself....

-Tye
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

The Hefty Classic ("HD") is a standby for the new shaver. And a Gillette Superspeed from the 40s or early 50s is similarly good.
Chaps

Re: What shave set do you recommend?

Post by Chaps »

kellman wrote:Hi: I'm trying to figure out what set to buy out there? There are too many available and I can't decide what I need. I have never done wet shaving before. Can you help?
Welcome to the club. Keep us posted on your progress into wetshaving :D

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I'm with Peter down the line ( except the Shavemac.....chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I shave daily with a fixed head Merkur as assembled by E. Jagger but when it comes to adjustables I much prefer the Gillettes.

My suggestions would be:

Razor... either a fixed head Merkur and/or a vintage Gillette adjustable.

Brush... either Rooney or Simpson with a slight nod to Rooney.

For all the rest of the stuff just call Charles at QED. Come to think of it calling Charles first would probably be the best step.

Regards,
Squire
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Tye wrote:When I first started last year, I used a piece of hardwood for the handle and a trimmed section of tin can (a catfood can lid works best, but you can use whatever you can find). I didn't have a brush, but I could make a super slick 'lather' from congealed grease from various fast food places (McDucks was the best for this). For a mirror I'd just use a puddle of water I found because it could do triple duty; wet my face and keep it wet, rinse my blade and then bathe in. It sucked in the winter, but the late spring/summer was okay. As an ASB I'd once again use the fast food grease. This worked pretty well. I'd get rousted by the police from time to time because I'd be sharpening my 'blade' on the sidewalk, but my shaves were superb. There's nothing like the feeling of putting together your own shave kit from scratch.

-Tye
Rather effete, my dear Tye... Personally I just take a flying triple Axel at a 30 degree angle to the nearest stretch of razor wire.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
prism

Post by prism »

Kellman, first off, welcome to SMF, you have definitely come to the right place! Everyone here shares a passion for shaving the "old-fashioned" way! You will find that you are tranforming a mundane chore into a very pleasant daily ritual. Take advantage of the videos in the Shutterbug Shaver section. Also, you can't go wrong listening to Leisure Guy (Michael), he's a class act, as are Ravi, Gordon , Danny and the rest! Remember, you don't have to spend a bundle to get a great shave! Make sure you like it first; don't be shy about asking questions, there's a great bunch of guys on this forum who enjoy helping! Above all, HAVE FUN! Vic
Shave Monkey

Post by Shave Monkey »

Tye wrote:If I were to choose a Merkur to begin with I'd go with the Progress myself....
But is the Progress better than the cat food can you mentioned earlier?
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

Shave Monkey wrote:
Tye wrote:If I were to choose a Merkur to begin with I'd go with the Progress myself....
But is the Progress better than the cat food can you mentioned earlier?
Well....No, but the quality of catfood lids has declined greatly, so I'd go with a Progress. :D

-Tye
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome Kellman -

A couple of places where you could go for Merkur razors and other shaving supplies are http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html and http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/index.html. Classic Shaving's own shaving soap is inexpensive and quite decent. They also offer the high-end shaving soaps, creams, and other supplies, as does Vintage Blades.

Among the Merkur razors, I think it would be best to start with a Classic HD (Heavy Duty - very popular on this forum), Classic Long Handle, or Classic. These razors aren't only for beginners, either. For an adjustable razor, the Merkur Progress is often recommended here. Though I haven't used the Merkur Futur or Vision razors, myself, I typically don't see them recommended for learners because the Futur is "aggressive" and the Vision is rather large and heavy for someone new to a DE (double edge) razor.

Of course, used Gillettes are excellent razors, also.

The best deal in a very basic badger shaving brush is the Tweezerman, at only $10.00, at http://www.beautyrose.com/twdeshbrform.html. The other sites offer an excellent selection of brushes, as well.

QED, at http://www.qedusa.com/, offers good values in shaving brushes and other supplies, though they don't offer razors, to my knowledge. The Proraso boar-bristle brush is a great value at $12.50, and they offer a good range of badger brushes.

Badger brushes come in 3 basic grades, from bottom to top: Pure Badger, Best Badger, and Super Badger or Silvertip Badger. All are serviceable brushes.

I think that sales professionals at QED, Vintage Blades, or QED would all be able to help you put together a personalized set that would work for you. There are also a lot of other good purveyors of shaving supplies.

Good luck on your new journey -

- Murray