Noob to wetshaving - Introduction

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
GregCavi

Noob to wetshaving - Introduction

Post by GregCavi »

Hello everyone! This is such a great site! I ditched my electric razor about a year ago for a schick quattro but soon saw the light. I have been shaving for a few weeks with a sensor excel and a sharps shave kit I got from target with Facial Scrub, Non-Foaming Shave Gel, Toner, and aftershave. I am not a fan of the non-foaming shave gel, so I have on order, truefitt & hill ultimate shave cream, and also some jojoba oil. I have already picked up the prorasso boars hair brush, and am looking into the Merkur HD, but am wanting to get about 2-3 weeks of consistent sensor excel wet-shaves under my belt before I go the DE route. I am planning on picking up a styptic pencil as well :). If you have any other suggestions, feel free.

Thanks

I look forward to learning many new things here!

Greg
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Hi Greg-

Welcome. You seem like you're off to a good start. I'd recommend you take your time with your Merkur HD. Let the weight of the razor do the work. Do not apply pressure. It will probably take you about a good two weeks for you and your skin to adjust to the DE. Once you figure it out, shaving will be much more enjoyable. Also, pay attention to the direction your beard grows. This is also important in getting a closer shave. Make sure you prep your skin properly at least with a hot shower prior to shave and during the shave.

Good luck.

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Greg

Welcome to SMF
truefitt & hill ultimate shave cream, and also some jojoba oil. I have already picked up the prorasso boars hair brush, and am looking into the Merkur HD,
You are going to love your cream. Its good stuff. On the razor, I highly rec. that you visit the trading forum here and find yourself a gillette superspeed to buy. Whether new to wet shaving or not that razor is considered ten thumbs up. Plus you can buy it for a lot less than the cost of the Merkur.

Clive
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I transitioned from a cartridge razor to a DE quite easily after purposely changing my shaving methods to immitate as best as possible DE shaving techniques described by experts in the field like Liesureguy. Once I figured out how to not rely on the pivoting mechanisms of my cartridge razor, I bought a DE (a couple actually) and within two or three weeks I was set.

Welcome and enjoy the journey :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
galpman

Post by galpman »

Greg, Welcome to SMF. :roll:
--Jeff
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Greg, welcome to the club. Since you are looking into getting a DE, I would recommend switching over to it as soon as you can. Even though you want to get some wetshaving time under your belt with your cartridge, you will find that shaving with a cartridge and shaving with a DE is so different, you may as well go ahead and take the plunge and get the DE. You will find that because of the weight of the DE (which is heavier than a cartridge) and the fact that the head doesn't pivot, you will just have learn a new shaving technique anyway. Keep us posted.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Welcome, and enjoy your explorations. For me, I found the little roller-ball styptic liquid in My Nik Is Sealed to be better than a styptic pencil. YMMV.