Newbie introduction and shaving ritual

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
bladerunner

Newbie introduction and shaving ritual

Post by bladerunner »

Hi All,

I was innocently surfing the net for a new DE razor the other day, when I stumbled on the Leisure Guy and then this group. Had no idea such groups existed and am more than pleasantly surprised. There's plenty of excellent information given here by nice people. And the videos are great! I must confess I never thought I'd be watching videos of guys shaving--and actually learning something from it.

Disgusted with the ridiculous cost of shaving, I started using a DE razor a couple of years ago. Although I learned to shave with one (I'm 52), I'd been using Trac II style razors since they came out. Tried Mach 3 once and left a good amount of facial skin in the sink. End of experiment.

I've been getting good results with a DE (my wife's old butterfly DE), even using the cheapest Gillette blades. Nearly BBS with zero irritation most of the time. With the information I've recently picked up here, my shaves are more comfortable than ever. Plus, a whole world of soaps, balms, creams and after shaves has been opened up. Glad to see Clubman is still in business. Brings back memories of barbershop haircuts and hair tonic.

Here's my shaving ritual. The asterisk indicates changes due to this group:

1. Wash face with warm water and soap.
2. Apply 5 drops of Williams Shaving Oil*
3. Build lather on face* with brush and Palmolive Classic cream in a tube.
4. One-pass diagonal on cheeks, upper and lower lip. N-S and cross-grain on neck up to the chin.
5. Warm and cold water rinse, followed by 5 more drops of Williams massaged in.*

For me, this is a near-perfect ritual. But thanks to this group, I'll be trying out new combinations of blades, soaps, after shaves, etc. I'm eagerly awaiting a Merkur classic I ordered the other day.

And I just might even build my own shaving den. Unfortunately I may be a prime candidate for RAD. Doesn't surprise me, I already have a bad case of TAD (typewriter acquisition disorder).

Thanks for all the help, guys!
Last edited by bladerunner on Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

"I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government." - Woody Allen

The Faxer
John 5

Re: Newbie introduction and shaving ritual

Post by John 5 »

Welcome, blade! Sounds like you are in business, glad to hear. And I must say that if you suffer from TAD, my unprofessional opinion is that you are a prime candidate for all of our disorders. And, no vaccine is available here.
bladerunner wrote:I was innocently surfing the net for a new DE razor the other day, when I stumbled on the Leisure Guy...
You know you have made it to the major leages of free time and leisure-dom when your name is no longer just Leisure Guy, but the Leisure Guy. :lol:

Take care
John
bladerunner

Re: Newbie introduction and shaving ritual

Post by bladerunner »

Thanks for the welcome, John!

I think I'm in for an especially virulent strain of RAD, due to the fact than classic razors are a lot less expensive than classic typers. I'm already hungrily searching ebay for a DE find.

John 5 wrote: You know you have made it to the major leages of free time and leisure-dom when your name is no longer just Leisure Guy, but the Leisure Guy. :lol:
Man, am I impressed with Leisure Guy's blog! I wrote the Leisure Guy quite unconsciously in my post. But you've nailed it--he's definitely made it to major leagues, all right. So from now on, he's The Leisure Guy in my book. And he's even an Esperantist, to boot! Bonege!
Last edited by bladerunner on Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

"I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government." - Woody Allen

The Faxer
prism

Post by prism »

Welcome to the group, Blade! As you may have noticed, your affliction/addiction is only beginning! Of course, you will get no quarter here, you are in the company of the finest gentlemen-enablers on the planet! BTW, nice avatar, I used to love reading Doc Savage!
bladerunner

Post by bladerunner »

Thanks, prism! Glad to be here.

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. I'm now squarely in the grip of RAD. Been a member here for 2 hours and just won my first vintage DE razor on ebay--a 1954 Gillette Super Speed in pristine condition, sterilized and ready to go. And manufactured the year I was born. Exactly what I was looking for!

And so it begins. . .

BTW prism, you have a very cool avatar also. Did you make it ?
Paul

The Faxer
prism

Post by prism »

No, after looking far and wide, I found it on an avatar site, hippiewierdo.com, or something like that. Congrats on the razor! Don't forget the Bloc Hyalin (just kidding) :D
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome! You have found the most important part of the wetshaving experience - ritual. We all have our little ways of doing things that somehow have gotten into our shaving life.

Enjoy the 54 superspeed. I had the same purpose in mind when I replaced my first Fatboy which I gave away to a newb in early December. My loving wife scored an 1959 Fatboy from ebay as a Christmas stocking stuffer. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing :)
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Welcome Blade. Glad to have you aboard. Sounds like you have a good routine going and we look forward to many posts from you keeping us informed of your adventure. Again, welcome. BTW, as has already been said, there is no use in trying to escape the clutches of RAD and her sinister band of disorders, i.e. SCAD, SBAD, SMAD, etc :D :D Just relax and enjoy it.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
bladerunner

Post by bladerunner »

Thanks for the welcome, Wendell.

I always considered shaving a chore, something I got through pretty much automatically. But since reading this board and actually being more conscious about shaving, I can see how it could become a real pleasure--even a hobby--as some have said.

A nice gesture, giving away the '59 Fatboy. I hope to enjoy the Super Speed. Never shaved with an instrument that old. Even when I started shaving I borrowed the DE from either my mother or father, it was a 1960's razor. Soon after, they gave a Trac II. I've probably shaved more often with a DE razor in the last 2 years or so than I ever did when you could buy them in any drugstore.

I agree that nostalgia is grand. And sometimes cheaper, too.
Paul

The Faxer
bladerunner

Post by bladerunner »

Chaps wrote:Welcome Blade. Glad to have you aboard. Sounds like you have a good routine going and we look forward to many posts from you keeping us informed of your adventure. Again, welcome. BTW, as has already been said, there is no use in trying to escape the clutches of RAD and her sinister band of disorders, i.e. SCAD, SBAD, SMAD, etc :D :D Just relax and enjoy it.

Danny

Hi, Chaps! Glad to be here. Being a newbie, I don't understand all the abbreviations yet. Could you translate SCAD, SBAD, SMAD ? Yeah, my experience with typerwriters has shown me that when these objects grab you, it's best not to struggle :wink:
It's great, though. Like owning a piece of history, or reliving a bit of one's youth <sigh>.

Prism : What the heck is Bloc Hyalin? :D
Paul

The Faxer
prism

Post by prism »

:D Bloc Hyalin is another name for block alum. It's the same thing as a styptic pencil, but in the form of a solid block. After shaving, you rinse off your face and, while still wet, you rub this block of alum over your face, closing nicks and cuts and pretty much sealing all pores. One bar should last approx. 10 years or longer depending on how often you use it.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I have a 1942 Superspeed that does a terrific job. I really like it.

SCAD: shaving cream acquisition disorder
SBAD: shaving brush acquisition disorder
SMAD: ?

Very glad you liked the blog. I once had three Smith Corona manual portables (purchased around 1970-74 time frame) with the *true* Dvorak keyboard: "?" in lower-case position, for example. Great little typewriters. The Eldest used hers right through college, and no one ever wanted to borrow her typewriter. :)

Try out the blade sampler packet. You might find a blade that's even better than the ones you've tried before.

And Welcome!
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Welcome Monsieur Prism,

Take a look at this posting about acronyms.

I also don't know what SMAD stands for? Danny?

Cheers,
Richard in Texas
"Keep Your Backcast High and Out of the Trees!"
bladerunner

Post by bladerunner »

Leisureguy wrote: Very glad you liked the blog. I once had three Smith Corona manual portables (purchased around 1970-74 time frame) with the *true* Dvorak keyboard: "?" in lower-case position, for example.
Thanks for the translation help, guys. Love the blog, Michael. It's very cool that you have a real Dvorak typewriter. I learned it about 3 years ago and use nothing but Dvorak on my home and work computers. Saved me from RSS. If you ever want to sell it, I know some people that would snap it up instantly. Sadly, I've reached my typewriter limit for the foreseeable future.

I can hardly wait to try out different blades. The Super Speed comes with a pack of Derby blades. Hope to try the Feather one day, but I'll have to attain the rank of Master in bladesmanship first (As quickly as you can, snatch the Feather from my hand?) :lol:

Thanks for the welcome.

Paul
Paul

The Faxer
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Coche_y_bondhu wrote:Welcome Monsieur Prism,

Take a look at this posting about acronyms.

I also don't know what SMAD stands for? Danny?

Cheers,
Richard in Texas
SMAD = Shaving Mug Acquisition Disorder :D :D :D

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome Paul -

This forum is unique among forums I have known thus far. The goodwill and civility are impressive and the experience shared invaluable. I also enjoy the good-natured humor!

As one who has studied other languages and lived in other countries, I must say that I am truly impressed with your mastery of English.

I look forward to seeing you here among the others in the future!

- Murray
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

Paul,

Welcome to our little slice of heaven. I, too was surprised that there was a forum dedicated to shaving (actually, one of many...and I shouldn't be surprised since I have always said I could find anything on the 'net).
Anyway, since finding this board I have been here every day. It's great. These chaps are very helpful and supportive in all things shaving...and obsessively acquiring. :D
I love every minute of it. The alternative was loathing shaving.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
bladerunner

Post by bladerunner »

Thanks Jeremy and Murray! I agree with you. This is a very warm place, loaded with generous experts. I'm beginning to look forward to shaving in the morning--or whenever. And visting this board.
CMur12 wrote: As one who has studied other languages and lived in other countries, I must say that I am truly impressed with your mastery of English.
- Murray
I really appreciate the compliment, but I have to 'fess up. I cheated. I really do live in France, but I'm not French. Born and bred in Beantown in the good ol' US of A. 8) I think you might be less impressed with my mastery(?) of French :lol: !

Been over here as an expat going on 15 years, now. I visit the States every 5 years or so, but I have no plans to move back there.

What are you guys shaving with these days?

Cheers

Paul
Paul

The Faxer
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

My routine varies almost daily in terms of equipment and supplies. Tomorrow I'll undoubtedly use a shaving stick---the Valobra, I think---and maybe the Emperor 2, since I was just talking about it. Then either the Schick Dial with a Ted Pella blade or go for shave 5 on my Sputnik on a 1952 Superspeed. Alum bar and.. hmmm. Well, the aftershave selection will wait until tomorrow. :)

BTW, I note that a styptic pencil will leave a white deposit on my face, and the alum bar does not. So I think there may be a difference between the two. I am dismayed by the number of guys I read about who attempt to use the side of a styptic pencil in lieu of an alum bar. Just get an alum bar, for God's sake.

And, for me, I much prefer a styptic liquid, ideally with a roll-on applicator like My Nik Is Sealed. YMMV
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Paul -

As I read more of your posts, I came to the conclusion that you had to be a native speaker of English, living in France. Your language competence is that of a native, not that of a person speaking a polished second language.

My shaving equipment at present?
Razor: Merkur Classic Long Handle or Weishi (quite a decent razor made in China).
I've also picked up a Parker DE made in India, a Gillette Super Speed (approx 1948 - 1953), and a Gillette Fatboy Adjustable. I haven't tried these yet, however.
Blades: So far, I have only tried the Merkur and US Personna blades. I'm trying to keep my variables fairly manageable. I also have some Derby and Feather blades that I look forward to trying.
Shaving Soap: My favorites, so far, are the Truefitt & Hill Luxury Shaving Soap and Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap. I have also gotten good results from Williams, Classing Shaving brand, and Proraso. I prefer soaps to creams.
Creams: Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort. I have also had good results with Proraso cream, Cremo Cream (applied with and without a brush), and I have a tube of Musgo Real yet to try.
Brushes: I mostly use a Rooney Style 1/Small/Super badger brush and the Proraso/Omega boar bristle brush. I also have a large generic German-made best badger brush, which is on the large side for me, and I have the medium-sized Rooney/SMF III brush coming.

I've had a beard for 35 years, so I only shave my thoat. When I shaved with a blade, it was one or two passes and I considered it good. It was in recent years with a good electric shaver that I really learned about multiple passes, as I went over all of my thoat/neck in different directions until I had it all mowed down evenly and close. I'm not as proficient with a blade yet, as I find maneuvering around a sharply protruding Adam's apple still something of a challenge.

- Murray