Questions for Veterans and Rookies

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
meltzer222

Questions for Veterans and Rookies

Post by meltzer222 »

After years of dealing with a mediocre shaving experience, I began an online search for alternative to my Mach 3/Gel combo. A google search brought me to Corey Greenberg's article titled "How to get that perfect shave." This article eventually lead me to this site where I've been more or less lurking ever since.

Late last year, after absorbing the knowledge contained in this site, I invested in a Merkur Futur DE and Merkur brush. While my first shave was a great experience (I actually let my beard grow out for two weeks so it was nice and soft), subsequent shaves have been to varying llevels of success. For the most part, I chalk that up to my evolving technique and experience.

In the mean time, I was hoping to pose a couple of questions to both veterans and rookies to help me ensure that I continue on the right track. Any comments, feedback, or suggestions are appreciated.

1. How often do you shave? Back when I used a Mach 3, I could only tollerate about once a week. Since switching to the DE, I can shave 2-3 times a week, and in some cases, every day.

2. Are you able to get your neck as smooth as your cheeks? I seem to be consistently successful getting my cheeks nice and smooth, but only have varying degrees of success with my neck.

3. Does your taste for shaving cream tend to evolve over time like taste buds would? I find myself want to trying new scents all the time, but like most, I can't afford one of each. I've been fortunate to pick up some deals on the selling and trading forum, so thanks to those of you who have I have traded with and to those of you who continue to make that aspect of this site successful.

4. How do you go about justifying the cost of this addiction to your significant other? I've been trying to equate it to my wifes addiction to Bath and Body Works lotion. I tell her that since she has a couple hundred invested, I should be able to do so as well.

Finally...I'd like to say thank you to everyone who participates on this forum. Its great to see an online community that is so open to sharing information, answering questions, and guiding us noobs along the way.
Chaps

Re: Questions for Veterans and Rookies

Post by Chaps »

meltzer222 wrote:After years of dealing with a mediocre shaving experience, I began an online search for alternative to my Mach 3/Gel combo. A google search brought me to Corey Greenberg's article titled "How to get that perfect shave." This article eventually lead me to this site where I've been more or less lurking ever since.

Late last year, after absorbing the knowledge contained in this site, I invested in a Merkur Futur DE and Merkur brush. While my first shave was a great experience (I actually let my beard grow out for two weeks so it was nice and soft), subsequent shaves have been to varying llevels of success. For the most part, I chalk that up to my evolving technique and experience.

In the mean time, I was hoping to pose a couple of questions to both veterans and rookies to help me ensure that I continue on the right track. Any comments, feedback, or suggestions are appreciated.

1. How often do you shave? Back when I used a Mach 3, I could only tollerate about once a week. Since switching to the DE, I can shave 2-3 times a week, and in some cases, every day.

2. Are you able to get your neck as smooth as your cheeks? I seem to be consistently successful getting my cheeks nice and smooth, but only have varying degrees of success with my neck.

3. Does your taste for shaving cream tend to evolve over time like taste buds would? I find myself want to trying new scents all the time, but like most, I can't afford one of each. I've been fortunate to pick up some deals on the selling and trading forum, so thanks to those of you who have I have traded with and to those of you who continue to make that aspect of this site successful.

4. How do you go about justifying the cost of this addiction to your significant other? I've been trying to equate it to my wifes addiction to Bath and Body Works lotion. I tell her that since she has a couple hundred invested, I should be able to do so as well.

Finally...I'd like to say thank you to everyone who participates on this forum. Its great to see an online community that is so open to sharing information, answering questions, and guiding us noobs along the way.
Ok...here goes.
1. I shave everyday.
2. Cheeks are usually smoother than my neck.
3. I tend to lean toward the more traditional barbershop/drugstore shaving cream scents.
4. I don't try to justify. Wouldn't work anyway.

Glad to have you in the club :D

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

1. Sometimes I skip a weekend day, but not very often. I have to be well-shaven at work, so weekends are the days I can experiment with new things and techniques.
2. Cheeks are relatively easy: broad, flat planes. After 7 months practice, my neck gets about as smooth as my cheeks, but bottom line, being irritation-free is more important to me than smoothness.
3. I'm with you, that when I started I wanted to try everything. But it gets simpler, as I learn about what I like and dislike. For example, I'm over florals -- they're not for me, so there's a big selection of rose and violet products I don't need to try. Except lavender, of course. But isn't that more herbal than floral? Wait, this isn't getting simpler at all!
4. Don't need to, she's okay with it. This hobby obviously brings me a lot of pleasure, doesn't take up much space, and doesn't involve blondes half my age yet.

--Glenn
jrgroucho

Post by jrgroucho »

Welcome,

I too am a noob, but I'll give you my POV since it was encouraged in the topic.

1. I now shave six times week. I have tried the Mach 3 in both the powered and Luddite flavors. I had to switch back to the Sensor since the Mach 3 would tear me up. I only remember shaving more than every other day once before that...I have been shaving for 13 years. Thanks to this site. I actually look forward to shaving.

2. My neck is also a problem, though I suspect it's because I haven't spent enough time working on it.

3. I am interested in almost every scent/type. I am proud to say I am looking more for rose and lavender. I love my Thayers and Trumpers. I always hated my canned goop, but thought it was the norm.

4. Fortunately, I posses no SHMBO, but so far the women in my life seem to think that my new hobby is "kinda sexy." Remember, it's beneficial for her as well.

--
Jeremy
><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º> .
· `·. . , . .· `·.. ><((((º>`·. .· `·. .· `·... ><((((º>
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

1- I shave 6 days a week, generally skipping Saturdays. This is not a hard and fast rule, however, but I do like to let my face rest every so often.

2- Yes, but not without effort and learning. I do two and a half passes (N-S, S-N, and the half pass diagonal from the jawline down only). Go easy, try a Feather blade, and apply a little Trumper's Skin Food as a pre-shave. Alternatively, try a QED stick on the stubborn areas.

3- Yes. Change is in direct proportion to how much money is in my checking account. I have developed a strong fondness for the English floral scents (rose, violets, lavender) which I did not expect.

4- I do not attempt to justify, as it implies that I should justify. I just merrily spend the mortgage payment with wild abandon.

-Scott

EDIT for ineptitude at spelling...
Last edited by kd7kip on Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
SharpClaw

Post by SharpClaw »

1. I shave everyday of the week but some weeks i skip a day because i am too tired to shave.

2.Yes i can get my neck as smooth as my face.

3. I am a cheapskate and i use Colgate shave soap .99 a puck and
Palmolive shaving lather. If I want to add a scent to them i have scented glycerin soap.

4.I don't have to justify my spending because i am single.
:P
Sol

Maher & Grosh Str8
Kingsley Tortoise Silver
Tabac Shave Soap
Nivea Soft
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi there. Welcome to SMF!

1. I shave most every day. I can, and do, shave several days in a row. Back when I used a Gillette Sensor I could only shave every 2-3 days due to the extreme pain, bleeding, and razor burn.

2. I've never been able to get my neck as clean as my cheeks. Thankfully, by sight, I can't tell they aren't as closely shaved as my cheeks. So I don't worry about it anymore.

3. You have developed an 'acquisition disorder'. This is completely normal and if you're looking for help to overcome this disorder you've come to the wrong place. ;) I can't say my taste for creams changes, but I definitely have my favorites.

4. I pretty much have an SWMBO, but thankfully she is supportive of my shaving hobby. I have successfully equated my shaving hobby to her clothes/shoes shopping hobby. (Score!!)

Again, welcome to SMF. This is a true gentleman's forum and I'm sure you'll feel at home.
-=seth=-

Post by -=seth=- »

i find if i shave my neck as close as my cheeks it leaves my vulnerable to ingrowing hairs so i tend not to keep the number of passes over my neck to minimum

spending £10 on a new shave cream every few months i doubt is a lot less than your girl friend spends on make-up so i wouldnt feel too guilty
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

1. Every day. I've no need to in my line of work, but why stint on one's pleasure? Anyway, my religion (Self-Indulgent Bastardism) requires it.
2. Cheeks will be smoother than neck (a) because there's a lighter and less flat-to-the-skin hair growth there for most chaps, and (b) a lot of people starting off tend to assume the hair grows much in the same direction over the whole face. It doesn't. In my case, on my neck the stubble grows pointing along a line drawn from my throat to my ear, i.e. about 35 degrees upwards. Once you Know Thy Beard, it all becomes much better.
3. Every now and then over the 40 years I've been shaving I go ape and try everything again in a wild flurry of abandon. I have just been through such a phase. It's fun. But one settles down again to the old favourites (which seem to be Trumpers Violet, a Rooney brush, a Gillette razor and a Swedish Gillette or -- this is a new one on me since this forum -- a Feather). Though I do find as time goes by I prefer hard soaps to creams.
4. "Justify" suggests you're doing something wrong. A common belief among men if we indulge ourselves in any way. You're not. You're spending some of the money you work to earn on something which gives you pleasure and lends you a civilised appearance. What's to justify? If your other half complains, I'd consider changing my habits, but they'd be my other half habits rather than my shaving habits. (Not because I prefer shaving to women, but because every relationship requires a workable paradigm and the one which some women prefer -- "What's mine is mine, and what's yours is also mine" -- isn't workable.) (Fortunately I have no such problems, and most men here, I think, find their SOs either find our little ways (a) cute, (b) pleasantly amusing, (c) nicer than having a slob around the place or (d) don't really notice.

Incidentally, verb. sap.: SWMBO draws the line at my taking shaving brushes to bed. I can't quibble, really. Compromise is the key.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
prism

Post by prism »

Hello Meltzer, welcome to SMF! 1. Everyday 2. Yes 3. Not really, but I love to experiment. Now for #4. This question bothered me. It sounds like you have already been put into a position to "justify" the expense. To be blunt, if you allow that to happen, you're dealing from a position of weakness. I'm sure your wife has certain indulgences you don't understand, and I bet you don't call her on the carpet about them. This is NO different! There is nothing to justify! Also, your shvaing addiction turns birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas/Chanukah holidays into gift-giving no-brainers, and (relatively) inexpensive ones at that!
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

1. 6 days a week. I take Sunday off only so that Monday will be a great shave day.

2. For me, the neck is not a problem area. It may be my skin or a combination of that and my technique. Sometimes people unconsciously use more pressure on the neck, and/or use an incorrect blade angle, and/or don't know the direction of the beard growth on the neck so shave against the grain too early in the process.

3. You might find an inexpensive way to explore other fragrances and shaving experiences with shaving soaps. For example, Honeybee Sue's shea-butter shaving soaps are only $3.29 each, and you can get 4 for a single $4.05 shipping charge. I especially recommend, say, Mocha Coffee, Fresh Lemon, and Sandalwood Vanilla.

4. My wife is happy with my little shaving hobby, but to justify it to myself, I use how many Gillette Fusion disposable cartridges (@ $3.50 each) some permanent item would cost. E.g., the Merkur Vision razor I'll have forever at the cost of less than 30 Gillette Fusion disposable cartridges. A puck of Honeybee Sue's shaving soap is less than the cost of a single Gillette Fusion disposable cartridge. Etc. Also, she has her own disorder: Balenciaga handbags. We respect our differences. :)
meltzer222

Post by meltzer222 »

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess I used the term "justify", since my wife doesn't see why I need to have a couple hundred invested in shave cream. But then again, I'm always questioning her about why she needs 100 pair of shoes, 50 bottles of bath and body works lotion, and 10 bottle of shampoo.

Now that I think about it, if I were a doctor, my diagnosis would be that I've contracted her pre-existing acquisition disorder. And that my compulsion to buy more shave cream and equipment is really her fault. I'll see how far this gets me before I blame it on something else.

Sounds like SCAD, Stage One: Denial.

Thanks again,

-Dustin
tm3

Post by tm3 »

welcome!

1) i take one or two days off per week. usually just one.

2) cheeks are smoother than neck. i've learned to check with a careful feel on my rinse before my last pass, so i can touch up any rough areas. but i don't sweat it too much as i only faceturbate my chin and cheeks.

3) i'm accumulating different things and enjoying the variety, but i'm being selective as i don't want to get "stuck" with stuff i don't like

4) i think "rationalize" is a good term here. if it needs to be done to her, which it doesn't, i would point to all the lotions/makeup/hairstuff/shoes etc. if it was to me, which it isn't, i'd remind myself that there are actually very few hobbies that i get to enjoy every day instead of maybe once or twice a week, so investing in it makes sense.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Welcome Meltzer!

1. I typically shave every weekday. Shaving on the weekends depends on what I'm doing (or not doing 8) ). I can shave every day if I wish.

2. My neck (particularly the right side) has always been a problem. Mostly its a matter of practice and learning the terrain of your face. I've largely solved it with a combination of J-Hooking and Blade-Buffing along with using a shave stick like Scott.

(So how do you use a Shave Stick for touch-ups? You wet it and rub it on a small area to be cut. The unlathered soap will protect and lubricate at the same time to get those little annoying areas. Yes, you can use a 'regular' shave soap, its just a little more difficult to handle. :lol: )

3. I've found that I have a small number of soaps & creams I've always enjoyed, and I wander off into trying new stuff too.

4. Luckily not a problem for me. *She* introduced it to *me* \:D/

--Mark
mparker762

Post by mparker762 »

Bargepole wrote:Incidentally, verb. sap.: SWMBO draws the line at my taking shaving brushes to bed. I can't quibble, really. Compromise is the key.
Clearly you're not using them correctly. Maybe try a stiffer brush, like a small style 1 rooney.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

1. Every day. I hate missing a day's shave, even though there's really no need for me to be presentable.

2. I can get my neck pretty close to as smooth as my cheeks - however my cheeks are easier to get there and last longer.

3. Does evolve in some way equate to having more creams and soaps than I can actually name? In that case, yes indeed.

4. My wife and I don't deny each other stuff. It's stuff, after all. What could be better than stuff?
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
khari

Post by khari »

1 I shave six days a week. I often miss not shaving, but I figure I should give my face a break.

2 I don't try to get my neck as close as my cheeks. If I do, there will be some irritation. I'm willing to settle for pretty good on my neck.

3 I believe your tastes definitely evolve. Just remember to pace yourself. Try to get samples whenever possible. Try a few soaps and a few creams. Most soap refills can be purchased on the cheap, relative to what they cost with the bowls.

4 I don't justify my purchases. I try to beat her home on days I'm expecting a delivery!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Dustin -

1. I have had a beard for 35 years and only shave my throat/neck. I have typically shaved only every other day because my throat hasn't tolerated a daily scraping. I'm working back towards every day, however, as my lather and ability to wield a DE razor with a light touch improve.

2. I got really good at getting a close even shave of my throat and neck with an electric shaver. I still can't do that with a blade, and, like Mark, I have more difficulty with the right side, even though I am right-handed. Since I only shave my throat and neck, however, my goal is to gradually improve my skills in this effort.

3. I'm allergic to a lot of scents, so I generally prefer the unscented or most lightly scented soaps and creams. Of those, I prefer soaps. I'm still trying out different soaps, but I hope at some point to settle down to one or two. (Of course, it remains to be seen if I can actually pull this off :-))

4. I live by myself, so I have no need to justify my purchases.

- Murray
sbacher

Post by sbacher »

I am a noob as well but will offer my two-cents worth:

1. I have shaved everyday except one since the day after Christmas.

2. My neck is almost as smooth as my cheeks thanks to the lesson on blade-buffing from one of Mantic's videos.

3. I have a mild case of acquisition disorder that is quickly developing into a full blown addiction. I started with Proraso and some Nivea ASB. I now have two types of KMF, a tube of TOM, Proraso cream and soap, Nivea ASB, Nivea moisturizer, Nivea face cleanser, Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel, and two different aftershaves.

4. I have a wife but have no need to justify my hobby. She spends a fortune at Bath & Body, Victoria's Secret, etc. In fact, I went shopping today for some more creams and aftershaves and she came along to help. She even offered to pay for the one AS. Great lady!

I use the Merkur Futur as well and love it.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

1. How often do you shave? I shave every day. I will shave in the evening as well if there is an important function, or if I just plain want to indulge my nose with the scent of a cream.

2. Are you able to get your neck as smooth as your cheeks? I sometimes, when the stars and moon and sun and other celestial things align, I can get the neck a hair bit less close than the cheeks, but otherwise, there are spots on my neck where I can rub and feel a bit of stubble, or as I call it, just a tiny rough spot.

3. Does your taste for shaving cream tend to evolve over time like taste buds would? I find myself preferring the scents of creams, which are typically more pronounced, and the cushioning of the cream over that of soaps. I still do not care as much for a cologne scent, but must say the GFT really smells good compared to others.

4. How do you go about justifying the cost of this addiction to your significant other? I don't know that I can justify it, really, but hey, I don't gamble, drink, hunt, fish, buy cars to restore and I do try to spoil her, so my indulgence is what, maybe $200 a year?

Sam